FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am crying my eyes out right now (Update)

Author Topic: I am crying my eyes out right now (Update)
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Opera just called. When we bought our house, we agreed to take possession 5 days after close (this Sunday). He just spoke to the sellers, and they said not only will they not be out this Sunday, but that also they don't even know if they'll be out by the weekend we're supposed to move!!!!! What in the world do we do? We can't move the weekend before Christmas with 2 kids. I wish we'd never bought that *&$@ house.

space opera

[ December 06, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
is that legal?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! [Eek!] Do you have a signed agreement stating that they will move out five days after close? (Wait, why are they moving out AFTER the close?)

What does the realtor say?

Good luck!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused - have you already closed? Does the sales contract specify both the closing date and the date of possession? Does it specifiy rent?

A lawyer is very likely to be able to help you out with this.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Space Opera. [Frown]

Do you have a lawyer to check over the contract to see if there's anything you can do?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to the realtor - they may not have the option to "not be out".

Best of luck Opera.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Charge them $200 a day for the overstay. We had to do that on our current house when the sellers were slow in moving.

On New Year's Day, their stuff went out the front door as our stuff came in the back door.

Just remember, after the deal is closed, the house is yours. Right?

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It might be a tad extreme, but you can have the sheriff evict them for tresspassing.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*tissue*
That sucks!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I just called the seller myself. I was actually pretty calm, but I was very honest with him about how upset I was. The problem seems to be that their own seller is dragging his feet on moving out, so of course that affects us. They will have to pay us a daily fee according to the contract - but we all know how little that makes up for the stress and having to change plans. Anyway, I reminded him that he gave his word that they would be out in 5 days and that with 2 small kids it was very important for us to move on time. He in turn said that even if they had to get storage and rent a motel room that they would be out on the 11th. I don't know whether to believe him or not, but it was a good opportunity to be "personal" about the situation so that we aren't seen as a faceless entity, know what I mean? I told him that while we'd rather have possession this weekend, next weekend would be acceptable, and that the big concern was being able to move that weekend. I went into how we've notified landlord, kids' schools, hubby can't take extra time off work, etc. I don't cry very easily, but this situation has me completely stressed out. [Frown]
Thanks, guys, as always. You're all the best.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
<nevermind>

Dagonee

[ December 02, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds like you're handling a sucky situation with grace and aplomb -- and being more than fair. (((((opera))))) Hope everyone gets to move on time!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't moving one of the most stressful situations in life's existence other than like weddings and funerals?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell???

[Wall Bash]

This doesn't sound legal. I think this happened to a friend of mine. I'll call him and see what they did... brb..

(((Space Opera)))

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
AH ha... just read your new post...

Hotel and storage...that's good. I think you can believe him.

And just in case things don't turn out that well, you can at least use the money from the delay fee to put your own stuff in storage and get a hotel room. Doesn't get rid of the stress though... *hugs*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I just talked to hubby again, who talked to our realtor. I guess our realtor is REALLY pissed off. He called the seller's agent (who is also their daughter) and said, "Some people are just liars. I didn't think your parents were, but I guess they are." Ouch. I guess she didn't like that comment very much.

space opera

TMedina
Member # 6649

Ouch - so much for handling this diplomatically.

-Trevor

Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a deep, cleansing breath. This will all be a funny story some day.
I moved into a new house 2 days before Christmas once, and moved out before New Years. Now that was stressful. but I survived. (No kids though.)(Where do the grandparents live? this is what they are made for.)

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((space opera))))))))
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I can think of few less productive things your realitor could have said.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy... good luck, Opera family! [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I hope things work out for you. [Frown] (((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Space Opera)))))

We're going to be moving in a few months. I really feel for you.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Opera Family)))
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera, I am so sorry! You know, this time last year our good friends purchased a house, were all set to move, and then found out they couldn't live there. (Long, complicated story) They had already sold their house, and the people were going to move in.

So they were homeless for Christmas. [Frown]

Yup, they were homeless. They stayed with friends and family for quite awhile in one state while the husband had to stay behind with his job (another long story). I wish I knew how they were now, but the last phone number they left me with doesn't work and I don't know any other way to get in touch with them.

Best of luck getting through this tough time.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Space Opera)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We can't move the weekend before Christmas with 2 kids.
Of course you can! It probably won't come down to that, but if it does, you can do it. Take care of all the Christmas shopping and wrapping now, while you're not moving, and don't worry if every piece of tinsel and every strand of lights isn't perfect when the 25th rolls around. Let your family know that you're not going to be going all-out for the holiday this year, and have a low-key (but still very special!) Christmas at the new house. The kids are going to be super-excited about their new digs, and they're not going to even notice if Christmas isn't as whiz-bang amazing as it is every other year.

Don't get discouraged! In the grand scheme of things, a week or two difference is hardly a blip on the radar. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Woot!!! We just talked to, as I call them, "The Bad People Who Live In My House Right Now," and they are definately getting out this weekend. They want to meet at 1:00 on Saturday, which is great timing for us since by the time we get the truck loaded and get up there it will be afternoon. Yay!!!

*looks around in panic* You mean I have to pack all the rest of this stuff in 5 days?!

space opera

edit: Mack, I think they heard of your offer of a sword and got scared

[ December 06, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn right. They SHOULD be. *brandish*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*nods wisely* This is why it is good to have Hatrack in your corner.

GOOD LUCK, Operas! [Big Grin]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
SO, congratulations on the new house. It's just beautiful!

I'm sorry you've had such move-in hassles and I'm glad it seems to be working out.

Good luck with the packing and the move!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad things seem to have worked out for you! I'm convinced that home buying is a gigantic pain in the a**, that nothing ever works out the way it should, and that there's always something to make you scream and cry. But, once you get into that house, it's great. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

. . . except for the boxes. [Wink]
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but they're boxes in your new house, so it's ok. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.