FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ebay auctions of humourous note. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ebay auctions of humourous note.
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
My submission

Well, if you're fishing for suckers, might as well go all the way.

[ December 03, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Anti-Chris ]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting stats:

Starting bid: US $100,000.00
Shipping costs: FREE - US Postal Service Express
Width: 1 inch
Height: 1 inch

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...that's uhh...wierd. *saves miracle picture onto hard drive for possible future excessive expense auctions* So uhh, what's that supposed to be a picture of anyway? Paint peelings? Bad Paint job? Shadows?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MIRACLE IMAGE OF JESUS RESURRECTING A SOUL
I guess I haven't seen that often enough to recognize what it looks like. Hmm ::looks harder::
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
We once had a contest to see who could find the craziest auction on Ebay. I think a jar of cow teeth won.

By the way, how did you come across this one? Were you searching for Jesus? I'm not sure that's how to find him. [Wink]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite (long gone now) was for a ham sandwich and an ass kickin'. They did not promise the whole sandwich, though. celia, you know where to find Jesus?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one once for the shoes of this woman's old bully. He apparently had made her life miserable in school, and then she turned out successful and stuff, and at a reunion, she got really drunk and ended up in a hotel room with him. She didn't remember what happened, but the next morning his shoes were left in her room. Since he had made her life miserable in school, she decided to take them rather than give them back. Her girlfriends put her up to auctioning them on ebay. I don't remember what they went for, but it was a great story.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like some serious water damage to the wall. They oughta call someone to fix it.....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to bid, since I usually have that kind of money hanging around and really dig foggy photographs. But I spent my $100,000 on a cauliflower that resembles God himself. And I figure that's the more significant of the two. [Razz]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my submission:

Virgin Mary Grilled Cheese? Sold for $28,000!!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
wow-that kinda makes me wish I had something worthless to sell for thousands of dollars. [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Some lady is auctioning off her Dad's ghost. Top bid so far is $78.00. There is an article about it on Yahoo News. (not sure how to post a link-- she admits sheepishly [Blushing] )
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
babager, click the url button on the reply screen and copy the URL of the site that you want to make a link to into the box that pops up. Click okay and it'll give you a new box for the title of the link. Click okay again.

[Smile]

[ December 04, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo story.

Ebay auction.

[ December 05, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Moly, it's up to $130!! Wow!

*searches for random artifacts to sell*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The following is sad:

From the auction:
quote:
My son is 8 years old.
From the Yahoo! News article:
quote:
HOBART, Ind. - A woman's effort to assuage her 6-year-old son's fears...
It's like they are writing the story based on what was told to them from somebody who actually spent the 30 seconds it takes to read the auction.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Actually the three copy-cat auctions are the sad part.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just sad that I didn't do it first.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

And one of them is a 6-year old who says it was featured on CNN. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=5541218208&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That seems to be the latest one, yet the one the articles are actually talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1523&item=5541219656&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1523&item=5541219656&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, nothing on e-bay surprises me.
*sigh*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite: Here's something I found
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
eight THOUSAND dollars for a ghost? I guess you do get the cane too.

I'm thinking that I could start selling random people's souls [Evil]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

If you could somehow make a permenant blob of gaseous-looking material you could put it in jam jars and sell it as a dream like in The BFG.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of selling my car on eBay. It's a piece of junk, but if people will buy a ghost, maybe someone is looking for a piece of junk car to buy. Anyway, it's worth a laugh. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
like in The BFG.
BFG?? [Confused] You mean the Big ****ing Gun? [Confused] (as in from the doom series [Wink] )
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
BFG=Big Friendly Giant? (Roald Dahl book)

[ December 05, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

This is getting kind of sad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=5541218208&rd=1

That one is up to 12,600.

This one is up to $2,025 and says it was on CNN. It has an update that is quite lengthy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=5541218208&rd=1

There are a total of 9 nearly identical copycats and at least 25 mimics that are selling everything from their dogs ghost to father's ghost decals to Scary Movie. It's sad, really.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Kayla? You posted the same link twice.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Oops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=5541289358&rd=1

It's really weird. The totals keep changing, along with the number of bids. Now, there are no bids with a starting bid of $200.

[ December 05, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That probably means the ebay staff noticed what I did yesterday -- a lot of bids, one after another, from the same bidder. As well as several other 'up the bid' stunts.

Illegal bids are being removed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cancelled: US $14,992.15
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids.

Hmmm. . . I wonder why. . .
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite ebay sale was for a router table that the guy said was totally useless, except for the switch. He said it had a really good switch, but the rest was junk.

here's a webpage dedicated to it.

I think it sold for about $28.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that one too, Glenn.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Todays feature auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Divine-Jump-Rope_W0QQitemZ5613144282QQcategoryZ19270QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just like the idea of a Divine Jump Rope. If I were to ever make a video game, one of the weapons would be "Divine Jump Rope."

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It would go well with the "divine pogo stick" and "divine surfboard".
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The Divine Jump Rope auctioner certainly gets one thing right: Christmas is anti-religious and encourages secular thought!

"During my years in the holly land I was brought up as a secular non believer"

STRIKE DOWN THE BOUGHS OF HOLLY, ONE AND ALL.

FOR QUIM AND FOR CHRIST!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hippie Vacation

[Laugh]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
TWIX! OMG!

fixed

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, when I click that link, am I sent to the homepage of the Microsoft Corporation??
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Might want to fix your link (one "http" too many). Not sure why that one amuses you so . . . the guy has a candy store. [Dont Know]

In any case, welcome to Hatrack, solero. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
That hippie thing freaked me out.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone emails the person and gets the website about Cody and his hippie adventures.. post it on hatrack. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you look on the pics, there's a copyright notice for http://leaderguy.com Seems like Cody hasn't left yet.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

eeeewwwww
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

What?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
My favorite ebay sale was for a router table that the guy said was totally useless, except for the switch. He said it had a really good switch, but the rest was junk.

here's a webpage dedicated to it.

I think it sold for about $28.

Yeah, I remember listening to a "This American Life" segment on it. It was very funny in a sad way. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
All those ebay auctions were removed by ebay. I can't see any of them.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend sold his soul for $12.75 last year.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.