FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush arrested?

Author Topic: Bush arrested?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
http://world-cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/11/30/bush.arrest/index.html

Ha

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Is this a joke?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Um.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is... [Dont Know]

[ December 03, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Altįriėl of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its a joke, look at the domain name.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
yes although an extremely good one, check the "search" button out for example.
AJ

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/ is the official website name...

AJ

[ December 03, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

dont spoil the fun.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
It's tripe and you know it.

I know it's a parody and all, but how do these people keep from getting sued into oblivion? I mean using an identical layout, not to mention the CNN logo has to be copyright infringement at best, defament at worst.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

yeah, but its still fun.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for someone to mention it to CNN. THEN the fun will begin.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Feyd I was thinking the same thing...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Sic 'em Ted Turner. That, and Associated Press is cited as the source of the article. They may have some words as well.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Let the fun begin then [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny.

That is all.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they enter Canada at their own risk
[ROFL]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Turner has disassociated himself from CNN because he is less than pleased at what it has become.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't blame him...
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw... And I was happy for a full thirty seconds...
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

so was I...
I couldn;t wait to get home and see it on TV...

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good parody. [ROFL]

Ted Turner didn't "disassociate" from CNN--he was forced out in a typical corporate squeeze play during the TimeWarner/AOL merger and aftermath:
quote:
But when, in January of 2000, Time Warner and Turner agreed to join with the Internet company America Online, Turner was not invited to participate in the talks about how the merged company would function.

Less than four months later, Ted Turner was fired. The news, Turner says, was delivered during a telephone call from Gerald Levin, the C.E.O. of Time Warner, who told Turner what Turner had often told others: the company was going to reorganize. Turner Broadcasting would no longer report to Turner but, rather, to Robert Pittman, the chief operating officer of AOL. ā€œYou canā€™t report to Pittman, so you have to have a more senior role,ā€ Levin remembers telling Turner. As Turner recalls, Levin went on to say, ā€œSorry, Ted, but you lose your vice-chairman title as well.ā€ According to Levin, Turner offered to give up his vice-chairmanship in order to keep running the Turner Broadcasting division, which included CNN, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, the TBS Superstation, the Cartoon Network, the New Line Cinema studio, the Atlanta Braves baseball team, the Atlanta Hawks basketball team, the Atlanta Thrashers hockey team, and Time Warnerā€™s HBO. ā€œI didnā€™t fire Ted,ā€ Levin insists today. ā€œI said, ā€˜This is the way we need to run the company.ā€™ā€

http://www.kenauletta.com/2001_04_23_thelosttycoon.html
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol...though I don't think canadians would be happy about it. There would have clearly been an invasion in retaliation.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Parody is a protected form of free speech so I don't think there'll be any lawsuits.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
it could be iffy, since it is not really a parody of CNN, yet they are using the CNN stuff...also, due to the web address, it could be argued that they are trying to fool people into thinking they are CNN...and that is a no no.

[ December 04, 2004, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Parody isn't protected when it confuses the viewer. In fact, if it confuses the viewer it isn't parody.

A work is only a parody (under the law and in general) if it both evokes the original and is clearly its own work. This fails the second part.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
it still amused me [ROFL]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, its definitely amusing, its just probably not legal.
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the deal, have they gotten in trouble? I was completely fooled into believing it was real. Probably because I wanted to.. *shrug* Now I can laugh at myself as well as the article.
Where did the picture come from, then?
And, why would they waste so much time copying the entire CNN website just for this article? [Dont Know]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20023
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, the site at the top of this thread is a different website from the one talked about in that article.

The one in the article did not use CNN's webpage at all, and the one that started this thread had no mention of parody.

So, the thread-starter is not only using CNN's and AP's names in a less than legal way, but it's also plagiarizing another parody that did things in the legal way it was supposed to.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A work is only a parody (under the law and in general) if it both evokes the original and is clearly its own work. This fails the second part.
fugu, out of curiosity, how do you know so much about IP law? You have knowledge that's usually a step beyond even well-informed laypersons.

And you present it in a fairly legal fashion, organized roughly into elements and such.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Uh, I read a lot?

That's pretty much it. Of course, part of its being good at selecting what to read, and searching out things to verify.

For instance, in that case I was pretty sure what I wanted to say (envisioned it pretty much as I said it, in fact), but then I googled for general information, and looked up a couple specific cases (for instance, the Penny Arcade case, which I knew about from recollection), which substantiated my position.

Also, I cull through a large amount of information every day, looking for stuff that's "interesting" -- and I'm interested in a lot of stuff. This means I've got a large amount of bits and pieces of knowledge which allow me to connect to lots of things.

I actually don't cull through as much as I normally do because I havent' re-set up my RSS feeds, being only temporarily on this computer while I await my new one.

I follow links, often deeply -- for instance, I regularly read slashdot, and more importantly, I read the comments (with certain ratings given much higher scores than others). While most of the comments are crap, I've got settings that avoid the trolls, and have become adept at quickly picking out comments of interest -- which I then follow up on.

As far as the presentation goes, I have a background in literary analysis, philosophy, and am a fan of minimalist absurdism (well, its not actually absurdism, but that's what its commonly associated with). Plus I've posted a lot at hatrack, and by far most of it is moderate to lengthy posts in "serious" threads, I do believe. Between those things I've become pretty decent at understanding nuance while eschewing complexity for complexity's sake, I'd like to think.

As regards (say) IP law in particular, formalisms intrigue me. Meaningful formalism is a remarkably complex concept, for all that the results of its application are often disturbingly simple. IP law's unsettled state means that formalisms in the field are not well-adjusted, which is a particularly fascinating state of affairs, combined with that in several ways it directly pertains to me (I write open source software; I use open source software; I pay attention to content-related issues because the availability of information is important to me).

Oh, and Larry Lessig rocks [Wink] .

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

this is definatlely not a parody, but it is still funny. Wonder if it were true, how would society respond to this?
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the last election were any indication, approximately half of the country would be afflicted with some amount of burning anger (as far as spontaneous combustion, I would imagine!) and the other half would be similarly afflicted with celebration. [Razz]

[ December 06, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Man, give a guy a compliment and get a life story in return. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I was paying your compliment the due respect with a response it deserves as is my obligation as dictated by the Creator of the World . . . either that or I've been reading too much Persian literature lately [Wink] [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, but his knowledge is deeper and broader than what you pick up from free software folks.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
And, yet, he's still a big dork. [Smile]

[ December 06, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

While your average OSS proponent likely isn't hugely knowledgable, some of the modern giants in IP law (such as Larry Lessig and Eben Moglen) are Open Source Software advocates and central to the advancement of OSS's ideals (particularly Moglen, who is the co-author of the General Public License, among other roles).

And the "leaders" of the OSS movement(s) generally are rather educated as to IP law (usually to the extent of rejecting many of its modern edifices [Wink] ). Richard Stallman, Bruce Perens, and others are giants in the field of OSS and software in general, and are quite aware of IP issues.

There are several OSS projects which are founded from a profound conception of IP rooted in modern IP law, such as the Debian project, which adheres to a policy of free as in freedom for the software distributed by it -- see their page on "What Does Free Mean?"

And while slashdot is mostly chaffe, there are quite a few very reasonable and knowledgable people on it, one merely needs to find them [Wink] .

SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people who "know" about IP laws tend to just make stuff up and use big words.

But I don't think that's the case here. [Wink]

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Let's just say I've had more than one conversation with OSS advocates claiming that copyright is unconstitutional and leave it at that. [Smile]

And I know the leaders of the movement don't say that.

Dagonee
P.S., I wasn't comparing you to the idiots, by the way.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most people who "know" about IP laws tend to just make stuff up and use big words.
You mean lawyers? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Technically most IP laws were just "made up." [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Please don't take any of what I said to denigrate the leaders in that field. I have philosophical differences with many of them, but their grasp on the current state of IP law is far stronger than mine.

Dagonee

fugu13
Member # 2859

Heheheheh. *imagines Dagonee posting "Richard Stallman is teh suxx0r! Join the GNAA!" on slashdot with the first sentence being a link to Goatse guy and the other being a link to tubgirl*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.