FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Holidays

Author Topic: Happy Holidays
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in a small apartment with three other guys. Technically we’re all Christians though one of them is inactive, but I think it’s safe to say that we all appreciate Christmas, and the great holiday season.

Two of my roommates are brothers, their family is a couple hour drive from here, so when they came back from Thanksgiving break they brought with them an artificial Christmas tree and some decorations; their family is big into Christmas so these were spare Christmas things that were going to be thrown away if we didn’t use them. For a few weeks the boxes sat in the corner of or apartment, largely ignored except when one of us would glance over and comment that we really should put the tree up.

Well tonight one of my roommates and I finally did. It’s a small, cheap tree; about six feet tall and the spaces between the coat-hanger branches are obvious and glaring. But we assembled the tree and stood it up in the corner. Then we broke out the decorations and began adorning the tree with balls whose hangers had been lost, and short cords of lights. A little rug to ring the base of the tree, an even smaller angel to top the tree, and finally an old, overlooked box of icicles, sprinkled liberally over the branches.

When all the decorations had been forced onto the tips of the metal structure or masterfully balanced between the quaint little branches, we turned on the tree’s lights, and the room lights went off. Stepping back we admired our handy work. A small little tree, doused in ornaments and tinsel; I ran and got a Bing Crosby Christmas CD and put it on. We sat down as Silent Night rang out through out little living room, and the tree sparkled in the corner. From all of us here, we wish you happy holidays and a lovely Christmas.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 06, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
THat sounds really nice, Hobbesy. I wouldn't mind doing the same thing in our house (wiht three roomates) but I cna't motivate anyone.
::sigh::

edit: forgot the sig. How can i forget the sig?

Ni!

[ December 05, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I love Christmas.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. Hobbes, that reminds me of my sophomore year in college. I lived in a tiny apartment with five other girls. For some reason, we all were in mad Christmas spirit that year. Someone cut the top off of a discarded tree outside and we stood it up on a table in the corner. We threaded microwave popcorn, rustled up some lights, cut out pop can ornaments and we had ourselves a tree!

My roommate created fireplace bricks out of red paper and built a fireplace on the wall. We put up 6 little stockings with our names on them, all in a row. [Smile]

The best part were our construction paper ornaments, holly leaves and snowmen that covered an entire wall. Whenever anyone would visit or pass by, we would invite them in to write a message and sign one of our construction paper decorations on the wall. It was a huge hit and we had awesome signatures and happy thoughts all over our wall.

I remember staying up late during the crunch of final tests and projects to put it all together one night, and we had the best time. I was really stressed out that term and I can remember coming home at night to our twinkly apartment and just feeling SO much better because of it. Isn't that funny? I guess I'm cheesy that way.

Happy Holidays to you Hobbes, and to all of Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
And so it begins. I swear this was part of a dream I had last night. If I'm technically not Christian, do I have to take down my tree?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Right, that's what this thread is about. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't answer the question. [Razz]

My parents had a potted pine tree that got lights for Christmas for a few years until it died. That year, they didn't have a tree. The next year, when I was actually going to be there, I demanded a tree.

My mother taped a string of lights to the wall in a Christmas tree shape. [ROFL]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you make me laugh. Let's watch Harvey soon so I can see your tree, all right?

Oh, and thanks for responding to the anti-rat SOS tonight. [Blushing] I really did hear rustling.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well... I think you misudnerstood, I'm asking for Harvey for Christmas, but if you want to wait that long our tree will still be up when we get back from break. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Harvey! [Smile]

I wuv that movie.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, we have it at my house, but we probably don't have a choice but to wait until after break...mostly depending on when you're flying out. When is that?
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Harvey the movie with/without the big rabbit?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

the one and only
Teshi
Member # 5024

Then I love that movie.

[Big Grin]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite professor's name is Harvey. I don't watch him, though.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

You probably would if he were a six fot rabbit that only you could see.
Shear
Member # 7093

- posted      Profile for Shear   Email Shear         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Christmas. I love presents! I love capitalism!
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Harvey was among the first DVDs I owned. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.