FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My PBeM Campaign (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My PBeM Campaign
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of the players in my game have already heard, I'm asking you to post your character sheets in the Gaming Tools section of Sakeriver.com. In order to add a sheet, you'll need to register and log on there.

Mike is in the process of putting together a pretty nice character creation tool as well, and has a section of it set up specifically for players of my game, in case any of you have not yet generated the characters we've discussed. If you'd like to give it a spin, try it out.

At the moment you can't save characters created in this way, so if you use this utility you will probably want to have two windows open, one a blank character sheet and the other the character creation utility. When you've finished creating your character, just copy and past info into the relevant fields on the character sheet. Not an ideal solution, but still faster and easier than handling all the details of character creation yourself.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Note that registration on Sakeriver is messed up at the moment. Mike will be happy to register you manually though, if you don't already have an account over there.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, Mike needs to concentrate more on the half-orc barbarian that's bearing down on his position, rather than piddling around with online applications.

Priorities, hmm?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, for me to create my character this way, that custom character class that we discussed will need to be added to the online tools.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, crap, you're right.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, crap, I am.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Come to think of it, there are a couple of you who won't be able to make use of the character creation tool as it currently stands.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I doubt that Mike will have either the time or the inclination to modify his utility that much, unfortunately.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon--

Here is what I use to create D&D characters:

Redblade 3.5e

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's OK. I've pretty much finished it anyway. I need to take all the emails we've exachanged, write it up into a mini short story format, and put the stats/etc. together in a tidy way.

BTW, have you read Contact? The character that you sent me a couple of weeks ago reminds me of one of the characters in that book.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I can't remember if I've read Contact or not. I probably have, but if so it's been awhile. Which sketch did I send you? Osred?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I need to amend my backstory a bit, to fit better with your description of the gameworld. Should I just email that to you? Also, any final judgment on my special items?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Scott! I'll check out that link when I'm at home and able to follow it.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah, Orsed. The character in Contact is Palmer Joss.

In the movie, a character named Palmer Joss was played by Matthew McConaughey, but the name, plus the fact that they are both ministers, is just about the only thing the two characters have in common.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting. I'll have to reread the book (or, possibly, read it for the first time). After I sent him to Slash I realized that he was a bit too much like a character in ASOIF for my tastes, but I'm making him less and less like that character as I play him.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Speaking of ASOIAF, I just finished Game of Thrones, as did Mary. We're starting in on the next one now.
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's your second time through A Game of Thrones, right?

[ December 06, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My second, her first.

I sure got into it a lot more this 2nd time.

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Glad to hear it. Fantastic books, regardless of what celia and Jon Boy think.
Noemon
Member # 1115

What did bev think of it? Or bev, if you're reading this thread, what did you think of it?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it. It was a bit more graphic in parts than I normally am willing to deal with, but I loved the honest candor. That made it "not so bad" to me. I am far more bothered by books that are graphic in ways that I feel are unrealistic and dishonest.

But I was very drawn to this book. I kept asking myself "why". The story seems like it shouldn't be anything special. A story about some royal people and their intrigue. What's new about that? But there is a "certain something" here that just sends my mind and emotions soaring. I find the characters fascinating. And I love how so many of the people in the story are not just ordinary people, but often disabled in some way or other. It *feels* so realistic to me. It isn't all about "super-humans", though to be sure, there are some.

It is raw. It is gritty. It is both beautiful and ugly. It is so real. I am starting the second book. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up Complete Divine this weekend to look at the Spirit Shaman.

I am kind of working on a proposed custom character class for him so I can match the concept I had started on after reading Oriental Adventures with the Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine.

Would it maybe just be easier to go with a straight cleric instead? I am almost done with the email I was writing to you, but I could just go into a more straightforward class if you'd rather I used the tools.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, did you burn that cd for me? I kind of need it to finish my character.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nah, I'd love to see what you're cooking up Int3.

Didn't Porter get you a copy of The Complete Divine? I could have sworn he did.

Bev, I know, isn't Martin's stuff incredible? The characters are just so completely, vividly real. I love how completely believably he's able to get into all of his characters' heads, so that there are no cardboard villians or heroes, and I really appreciated the light touch with regard to magic in the first book.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Derrell, I burned it, set it on the table to take it to work with me, and then walked past it in my hurry this morning. I'll stick it in my bag tonight and make a point of sending it to you tomorrow. Actually, I've got a bunch of stuff I need to mail out, come to think of it.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I kept trying to give it to him, but we never succeeded.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get the file from porter, AIM doesn't like my router (AIM has known problems with file transfer on NAT routers).

[ December 06, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, you didn't tell me you were going to have a Peanut Butter Electromagnetic Campaign.

*likes both peanut butter and electromagnetism. feels slighted*

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That sounds a lot cooler than this geeky D&D thing I'm doing now.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, we're making characters?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

We are. [Razz]
celia60
Member # 2039

[Wave] [Cry]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, who-all ended up joining this game? *curious* mph, Derrell, I3, and Bok, obviously.... anyone else?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Celia's been saying that she *might* get her theivin' butt in the game for a long time now, but I've never heard her commit.
celia60
Member # 2039

I've never been given a deadline to commit. We just keep finding other stuff to talk about. [Dont Know]

If it starts mid January, I can play. er, if it starts earlier, I can join late?

Bokonon
Member # 480

ElJay, you want to join the proud, the adventurous, the likely-dead-before-Easter-because-Bok-just-HAD-to-pull-that-lever?

-Bok

EDIT: I'd prefer early January myself...

[ December 06, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Not particularly, no. I played D&D maybe three times when I was 14, and I suspect a long-term game with a bunch of dedicated, experienced people wouldn't be the way to get back into it.

But I'm looking forward to reading the digests. [Big Grin] So I'm curious who-all will be playing.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Here's a hint... The last time I played a Campaign (rather than a one-shot adventure) was probably 14-15 years ago. I haven't played any pen-and-paper RPGs for 10-12 years...

I expect to be quite rusty. [Smile]

-Bok

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Before I started twinky's campaign, my last campaign was in 1993. I have done fine.
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Thanks, guys. I'd still just rather watch y'all get beat up for the time-being. [Wave]
Noemon
Member # 1115

If I'm forgetting somebody, you'll have to forgive me; I'm still working out people's real names vs. their Hatrack identities. People who are definitely playing, at this point, are:

Porter
Int3
Bok (email me Bok\--I just now saw your question)
Derrell
Ed (whose hatrack identity escapes me at the moment)
msquared

People who have expressed an interest, but haven't submitted characters to me:
Misha McBride
celia

Am I forgetting anybody?

Bokonon
Member # 480

Will do Noemon.

Saxon, your character creation tool seems to only allow me to pick 2 feats for my level 3 fighter. I should get 3, one for first level, second level, and a bonus first level fighter feat. Am I missing something?

-Bok

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Bok, you should have four if a demihuman, 5 if human. First and third character levels, first and second bonus for fighter levels. One more if you're human.

I love fighters.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am going to grace all of you by playing in this game. Your paltry characters sole purpose will be to assist mine in finding the material he needs to create the most amazing magic item.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Or to kill him. Either one.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
AvidReader is correct, a level three fighter should get either 4 or 5 feats, depending on his/her race. I just ran through the tool quickly and made a level 3 dwarf fighter and had the correct number of feats. Are you including class-related feats in your count? The bonus fighter feats are selected as class-related feats.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'll have to double check for my Half-Elf Fighter.

-Bok

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

We're gonna have 2 half-elves in our party? Interesting... *rubs chin as though he had an evil goatee*
Bokonon
Member # 480

Aww, you don't really have an evil goatee. Nuts. There goes my whole conception of you...

BTW, I figured it out, your tool goes level by level, without saying so (that I saw). Having never used the new DnD 3/3.5Ed. rules, and the ways to represent advancement, I was a bit lost. My bad.

-Bok

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, Mike, are you going to add a setting for msquared's campaign? His character creation rules are the same as Slash's (and mine), with his characters starting at 4th level.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.