FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: House
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about Chase. I was laughing at the thought of House watching the L word on mute. I was really affected by the poor mother's reaction to her baby's death. I wished the writers had just let Foreman be nice and easy going for more than one episode, but twas not to be.

Those are my impressions.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a weak episode as I couldn't suspend my disbelief that Chase HAPPENED to be working in the NCIU when a case which convienently involved both the NCIU and House's patient came in.

What's up with Cuddy wanting a babydaddy? That seemed to come out of the blue.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It was sort of an odd episode. I don't quite know what to make of it, but it was hard to watch while holding a month-old baby.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collissimon
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for collissimon   Email collissimon         Edit/Delete Post 
Darned it! We're a bit behind when it comes to US TV, so we're only halfway through the second series of House here.

It's great though, and Hugh Laurie does a really credible American accent, which is pretty surprising!

I've been watching it a while, but do you find it's a tad formulaic? I really enjoying it every week, but it is pretty much the same format!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
It was sort of an odd episode. I don't quite know what to make of it, but it was hard to watch while holding a month-old baby.

Oh, Jon Boy, I have an eleven year-old and a nine year-old, and I went right back in time to the infant-holding moments when I was watching that show. I would have been emotionally crushed like a grape.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I'm beginning to be glad I missed that one...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the synopsis, I'm very glad I missed it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably are, kq. It wasn't a good episode for a new mom, freshly post-partum.

Kristin, I didn't have a problem with suspension of disbelief with Chase just happening to be in the NICU when..you know. The mom didn't become House's patient right away. I thought I heard Cameron say that she came through Chase's referral. As her illness wasn't apparently life threatening, I don't know that she would have been referred to House at first without Chase's influence.

Overall, I just thought it was a very sad episode, including Cutty's pursuit to be a mommy.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it's somewhat formulaic, the zingers change each week. [Smile]

"Idiots are fun! That's why every village wants one."

I actually found Foreman MORE irritating in his happy-go-lucky phase.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
As a person who has a mild form of celiac disease, I was pretty alarmed at all the complications that were said to result. If I get too much gluten in my diet (from wheat or most other grains), it can give me diarrhea and make me itch. But I can tolerate a little wheat in my diet now and then. I have heard of some people who are so sensitive they have an extreme reaction to the slightest amount of gluten.

Gluten intolerance is not like being allergic. It does not trigger a histaminic reaction, it triggers an auto-immune response reaction, where white cells for some reason begin to attack cells of the intestinal lining. (They call it celiac disease because the celia on the intestinal lining are the first to be damaged; checking for this damage to the celia is the definitive test to verify the condition.) A lot of people have a gluten intolerance without realizing it, and never find out unless it gets worse. Even then, doctors can easily fail to diagnose it. My sister had to be hospitalized a number of years ago with dehydration caused by frequent diarrhea, and doctor after doctor failed to find the problem, until one young doctor happened to hear about it and happened to think of "sprue," which is a form of celiac disease.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Foreman was definitely more annoying. His happiness just felt fake.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I don't know that it felt so much fake as manic. I knew a guy when I was in my 20's who had colon cancer. He was really young (30something) and it was caught fairly late. His prognosis was pretty grim. When he went into remission, he became unbearably happy, it was unreal. His energy was manic, almost desperate. He had been annoying before he got cancer, and while he was battling it, he actually became more fun to be around, more responsible I guess. But then he went into remission, and he was worse than before. His energy was negative side of that song "Live Like You Were Dying". He did stuff that bordered on (and sometimes crossed over into) socially unacceptable. It lasted for about 8 months, the length of his remission.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Perhaps the reason the episode rang insincere to me was because I'm not a parent and I don't want kids so the themes didn't resonate [Dont Know]

Only two more episodes left---what am I going to do without my House?

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Cry in the corner for an house. [Razz]

Someone at my fencing club was just diagnosed with Celiac disease. Apparently you can have different degrees of sensitivity. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sooo tired of the switcharoo game they play at the beginning of every episode. When we see somebody acting sick at the beginning of an episode, we know they aren't really sick, because they "trick" us every. single. time.

I too watched this episode while holding my baby. I had flasbacks to when he was in the hospital and almost died for lack of oxygen. Ick.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started watching this show because it came on after American Idol. However, I also watch Gilmore Girls (we record it while watching American Idol), so this week I only caught the opening scene of House before I started watching Gilmore Girls, and the baby in the tub was enough to give me a nightmare that night. [Angst] I'm not even a mommy yet, and I couldn't handle the traumatizing baby stuff of this episode (I watched the rest of it the next day).

I agree that the show seems to be quite formulaic. But the script is so dang good that it makes up for it.

"Don't make me use the N-word."

[ROFL]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
So, did the baby die because of the gluten in the medicine?(I realize he had been oxygen deprived from the smothering)

No, the gluten didn't kill the baby. It just prevented the baby's body from being able to absorb the polystyrene, which would have lowered the potassium, which might have prevented the heart attack. Which might possibly have given the baby enough time for its organs to heal a bit, but might not have.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
I was laughing at the thought of House watching the L word on mute.

Clearly not an L Word fan, or he would have realized how deadly boring the show would be on mute.

Oh, and it was interesting how House threw the "kissing a nine year old" thing in Chase's face. I like when they remember things that happened in earlier eps.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Rather tangential FYI re: "celiac" etymology --

There might be some confusion with "cilia/cilium," which are microtubular organelles that propel, and "villus/villi," which are the tiny fingerlike projections along the intestinal wall that become blunted in celiac disease, thus massively decreasing the total absorptive surface area. Blunted villi are checked for on biopsy for definitive diagnosis of celiac disease.

"Celiac" (or "coeliac") just means "of the abdomen.")

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claudia--it looks like you have it right. I assumed Celiac comes from cilia. But if that were the case, it should be spelled Ciliac Disease. Who would think of the latin meaning of celiac (coeliac)? We probably were told "villi," and after a short time came to misremember it as cilia.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I KNEW Cuddy was going to end up asking House to be the donor...now, the question is, what will he say?

I was not pleased with the preview for next week's show. They always have to shoot someone in a season finale, it gets annoying.

Favorite line: "I'm scared. Hold me!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I thought his answer "Someone you like" was great. But I felt so bad for her when she came in to see him towards the end and was too embarrassed to say anything. He's seriously letting her twist in the wind, isn't he.

As far as the previews are concerned, quite frankly, House slugging Wilson was a lot more shocking than House getting shot. I'm only surprised he hasn't been shot before.

And... he lied. To spare his friend's feelings. It's not the first time he's done something fundamentally human. He reminds me a little bit of Sawyer, on Lost. So determined to make people hate him and to convince them that he's a sonuvabitch. Terrified that someone might actually see the softie inside.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

sL, I thought his lie about the paternity was really more manipulation, with two purposes: to support his friend, who was going to believe he was the father anyway, and to make the girl treat her 'father' like something better than a mere mark.

I want Cuddy to choose Wilson. That would make for very interesting background noise.

And I agree with you that it's only surprising that House hasn't been shot before. [Smile]

My favorite part of the episode was the return of D.B. Sweeney into my life (it's all about me [Smile] ). Gosh, that man has not aged well. I haven't seen him in anything for ages. But I enjoyed him...he played a great dupe.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Where is he from?
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
He's from The Cutting Edge.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm not sure what that is.
Narnia
Member # 1071

That ice skating movie, and WOW. I didn't realize that was him. He was all hippy and frowsy during this episode.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

It's a girly ice skating movie from the 90's. It had Moira Kelley in it as a diva pairs skater without a partner. Sweeney plays a former hockey player with a blind side who switches to figure skating when offered a chance as her partner. It's full of wonderful one liners as they fight through 90% of the movie. It's a great background noise movie to put on while you're scrapbooking or cleaning house. [Smile]
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Toooeee pick! Heh...I don't know why I like that movie. It's so cheesy, and yet I can't help watching it when it comes on.

I didn't recognize Sweeney either. Even after my fiancee pointed him out. Anyone else think he's a little Keanu Reevish?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

This night's episode was totally ruined for me as it pretty much stole the plot of Alex Garland's Coma. Influences are cool, but this was almost a 1:1 correspondence. I guessed what was happening after the first commercial break because I finally figured out where my deja vu was coming from.

That being said, cool cliff-hanger! And thank you Fox for providing us with House this summer.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminded me of that episode of teh Sopranos, but it was really cool..
but, eeeeeeeeee, that one part. eeeeeeeeeeee

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Syn, I agree! Sopranos' rip-off, and not done a fourth as well.

Still, a neat premise.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
We missed it! Ack! Is there a summary somewhere? And what do you mean by "providing us with House this summer"? Can you be more specific?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
worst. episode. ever.

Seriously, I hate to be a Comic Book Guy, but I've straight up never been that disappointed by an episode of House. Not only was was it a cop-out and a waste of time, but it didn't even have the clever dialogue that can partly redeem otherwise sub-par episodes. It was dull and uninteresting, and ended like some M. Night Shyamalan shaggy dog nightmare. I kept wanting to give it the benefit of the doubt, but when I realized that the only reason I was sitting through that entire interminable hour was to set up one of the weakest twists I've ever encountered, it kind of pissed me off.

It felt like one of those jokes you hear in junior high school where the person telling the joke pads it out with a half hour of nothing, and then right when they're going to give you the punch line, the main character of the joke gets run over by a truck, and you realize that the real punch line is that you were gullible enough to sit there listening to the whole thing.

worst. episode. ever.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So that would explain why we didn't really understand it - because it WAS worse then the previous episodes... [Frown]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Best line: "You anti-semantic bastard!" [ROFL]

I thought this one was especially disgusting. What with the tongue, the eyeball, the exploding scrotum and the revolting ending of House's hallucination (I screamed and covered my face with my blanket all the way through that!), I almost couldn't stomach it. Blech!

Another surprise: The sexual tension between Cameron and House, which we now know was part of his dream. IT makes us wonder if House's subconcious really wants to undress her with a crazy robot operating machine. Very weird and out of character.

I guess that was the whole point though. He was kind of out of character the whole time because it was all a dream. ...

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I love House so of course I "liked" it, but I must agree that it was the worst episode ever. I feel kinda jipped
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I love House so of course I "liked" it, but I must agree that it was the worst episode ever. I feel kinda gypped. And the new level of gross was just nasty! I haven't had to watch anything through my fingers in a long time but I did with that episode!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Wow. I really liked it. It reminded me of Connie Willis's Passage, a book I didn't love, but which nonetheless made an impression on me.

I liked that it became increasingly difficult to tell what was real and what wasn't and then none of it was, which made the whole thing make a lot more sense. I mean, it had the same confusion level for me as Memento. Yes, it seems like a cheat that it was all a 'dream', but I think it's more on the level of a near death experience than a 'and then he woke up' Dallas sort of dream. And I'm wondering how much this episode will change him. We still don't know why the shooter shot him, but House sure made up a very compelling story for why, and it'll be interesting to see how accurate it is. I really thought the episode was interesting because it's almost like House is trying to let himself be happy. The implications of all the different arguments are changed by the fact that it all came from his head. That's not the same as Dallas's cheat. I think the writers are trying to let us see more of House's motivations.

Anyway, I liked it and can't wait to see what happens next season. Obviously he doesn't die, which is the only real flaw with this story line. If it was Cameron, we'd also have the tension of wondering whether she was going to survive.

Brinestone, they'll be showing the entire season of House again over the summer, two back to back episodes every Tuesday night. [Smile]

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I liked it. I couldn't suspend disbelief so early on I figured the whole thing was a dream. Although, I did wonder if the very early stuff was real. Anyway, I wasn't impressed.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Jeniwren, I loved Passages. And it will definitely be interesting to see what he learns from it. He now knows, if he didn't before, that he's hot for Cameron, that he does have what to apologize for and that he does bear some responsibility for the results of his actions. That cold and blunt can kill.

I wonder whether he recognized the shooter, and whether the women in the hallucination, who started out as the MEOW's wife, but wound up being the one who killed herself in the garage, was actually the wife of the shooter.

The fact that he apologized to the shooter, even though it was in his hallucination, had to have had some effect on him.

I wonder if the ketamine will work.

I actually thought it was really well done. But it was very different, and I can see why some people might not have liked it.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The fact that the Sopranos is a much better show aside, I think they definitely researched "sick dreams."

I had the weirdest dreams when I was in the hospital. I was not in a coma, but my dreams were very episodic, and recurred each time I fell back asleep. I could control them, in a really weird way. "OK, this is not OK and needs to stop." And the dream would shift to some other weird scene.

I felt that way about House's dream.

Did Sherlock Holmes ever have dream episodes? (We had discussed elsewhere how the show is mirroring the Holmes stories.)

Kristen
Member # 9200

Elizabeth, that is called lucid dreaming.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I also wondered about the "wife" and about whether he was right about what happened to the shooter's family.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Kristen, I know what you mean about lucid dreaming. There have been occasions when I realized I was dreaming, and deliberately took control of the dream and made it go in a direction I wanted it to. Usually I woke up soon afterward, but it worked for a while.

I have also had the experience of realizing what my dream signified while I was dreaming it. I mean, dreams often employ a symbolism that represents various things in our emotional life. When I realized what it was my subconscious was trying to say to me, I felt a sense of great satisfaction, and being at peace with myself.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Did Sherlock Holmes ever have dream episodes?
Well, he was a heroin addict at one point, and would have "strange reveries". And he pretended madness and illness one time as part of a case and babbled about oysters overthrowing the planet.

But other than that, and one brush with a deadly hallucinogenic substance, I don't think dreaming was ever mentioned.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ron,
The weird thing about the dreams I had was the fact that I would go right back into "the world of the dream." So it wasn;t so much a recurring dream as a recurring situation, if that is really a difference.
The first one was when I woiuld keep looking into my book bag to figure out who was missing theor Problem of the Week. (I teach) Finally, I just told myself, "This is just stupid. You're sick, just relax and the sub will figure it out."

mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, the level of grossness is one of the things that clued me into the fact that he wasn't conscious the entire time. Because the things that happened were so UNreal with a touch of reality that it had to be a dream.

*shrug* I actually really liked it and there WAS some good dialogue in there. [Smile]

Kristen
Member # 9200

Brinestone: They will be showing back-to-back episodes of house season 2 every Tuesday this summer. As I haven't seen all of them, and can rewatch tv, this is most exciting!

The grossness kind of squicked me out, but perhaps I am desensitized to all of this by now as it didn't disturb me.

I do love that in his subconscious, his underlings never question him!

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Did Sherlock Holmes ever have dream episodes?
Well, he was a heroin addict at one point, and would have "strange reveries". And he pretended madness and illness one time as part of a case and babbled about oysters overthrowing the planet.
Isn't that the Scientology backstory? Or was it clams?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.