FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Urges of random weirdness (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Urges of random weirdness
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't jump into piles of leaves, but I cannot resist crunching the leaves under my feet as I walk down the sidewalk.

Sometimes while walking across the plaza at work, I will make a point to not step on any lines.

I do both of those things. I also can't resist walking across fresh snow, which usually means walking across the grass while everyone else walks on the icky, slushy streets.

I like to ride on shopping carts.

I also have that urge to tuck people's shirt tags in. Usually I resist it, though, unless I know the person.

Not only do I recommend books at the bookstore, but sometimes when I overhear people having a conversation about something I like, I'll randomly jump in with a comment. That earns me a lot of strange looks. [Razz]

I have a tendency to make random noises (such as "meep!") for no apparent reason. And I often talk to myself.

When I get bored, I orbit people. Or randomly tackle-hug them (though that's only with people I know).

And of course, I love to sing in public. Sometimes I dance, too. Or skip.

My friend Kep and I sometimes start swaying back and forth in unison while we're sitting at the dinner table. It's fun to see how long it takes for the other people at our table to notice.

Random weirdness is good. [Smile]

[ December 10, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It warms the very cockles of my heart to see so much weirdness abounding among us all.

Rivka, I think you hit on the weirdest thing about my weirdness urges - I *am* slightly demure (and always wicked) among people I don't know well - that's why I wonder why all of my weird urges are very public things. 'Course, once I know you, demure is thrown away like a torn stocking. Most of the entries in my old high school yearbook begin with, "To the strangest (or insert weirdest/craziest) person I know..." I enjoy fooling people just enough with my reservedness just to get them comfortable. [Evil]

Ok, that was a lie. I'm just shy and self conscious around people I don't know - but it sounded cool.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, on a scale of weirdness, none of those things are really that weird. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that there aren't too many people who've had the urge to swerve suddenly in traffic. Or jump out the car door while on the highway.

Speaking of weird urges, here's an odd one from Chris Rock that I think most married people can relate to. It was something along the lines of "If you've never stared at box of rat poison in the kitchen for 45 minutes, you've never been in love. And the only thing that's stopping you is an episode of CSI."

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I guess one person's weirdness is another person's psychotic episode. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, what's your definition of swerving in traffic? I frequently fight the urge to drive off high bridges into rivers, and occasionally fight the urge to swerve into cement bridge supports. (Occasionally meaning that urge comes less often, not that I fight it less often.) I have been assured that these are perfectly normal and I shouldn't worry about them unless they start to feel overwhelming. (Since I've never actually twitched the wheel, I would say they're pretty controllable.)

On weird urges I do give in to... I stick out my tounge at young children in public. Preferably when their parents can't see me. It's fun. But my mom got mad at me once, 'cause the kid stuck her tounge out back at me, and her mom saw and she got in trouble. I didn't notice that, or I would have gone right over and apologized to the woman and told her I had done it first. I felt bad afterwards. [Frown] But I still do it. [Razz]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Like ElJay, I too like sticking my tongue out (or winking) at little kids. It's especially fun to do while sitting in church.

I remember once having a conversation with my mother-in-law about whether it was weird or normal to have the fleeting urge to swerve into oncoming traffic/medians/overpass supports. We decided that since both of us had had those urges before, they weren't _that_ weird. [Wink]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet if someone paid me 200 dollars I'd go out in public with my spider-man undawears on over my thermal undawears..
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I chase ducks on campus.

I've been "boating" in the campus pond, in a little 2-man rubber inflatable boat. It didn't come with paddles, so we used cheap badminton rackets.

When waiting for someone or just being anxious, I sometimes rock back and forth standing up, right foot left foot roght foot left foot...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
On the interstate, I deliberately match speeds with people trying to pass me, then I do my best to look in their car, and look conspicuous doing it. It's great when I'm driving the RAV-4, since it's a lot higher than most sedans on the road. Some people have some neat stuff in their cars.

I've had some funny reactions before. One time a guy floored it and dissapeared within a few minutes.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.