FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » About my new job...

Author Topic: About my new job...
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Switching companies. Same type work, better pay, nicer bosses, bigger office, better hours, less stress.

[Party]

The best part: no more unethical (as far as I'm concerned) business practices. Honesty.

::sigh::

I'm so happy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [Party] [The Wave]

Here's to better times.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! [Smile]

What type of work do you do again?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. Good Luck!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Boon!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a bind - I love the company I'm working for.

One of their clients approached me with a job offer - more career opportunities, 12k pay bump and better benefits.

[Wall Bash]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I prepare personal income tax returns in the spring.

30% better hourly pay, over 50% better pay overall.

For fewer hours per week.

I get to do teacher and emergency workers' tax returns for FREE in March.

I only have to work when Hubby's home, so we don't have to put the baby in daycare, and the kids can still ride the bus home after school.

The new office will not be opening on Sundays because it's against the owners' personal beliefs. They won't ask us to do anything they wouldn't do themselves. Yay!

And the only time I'll have to work past 5pm is during the 2-3 weeks of peak.

The office is only a 10 minute drive from home, compared to the 35 minute drive of last year. This means that I'll have time to get myself ready to go AFTER I put the kids on the school bus. This cuts down on morning chaos considerably.

Oh yeah, they even offered to let me put a playpen in the office if I'd come to work every day. When I declined, citing the best interests of the baby, they were very pleased. They're family people, and feel the children should be everyone's first priority.

When I told them I was breastfeeding, they (without me suggesting it!) offered to put a nice rocking chair behind the partition for me, either to pump, or to sit with the baby if I want to have Hubby bring him up for a snack. !!!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that definitely sounds like a much better place to be, Boon!!! Congrats!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Boon!

Sounds far less taxing...

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Bob's right--I'll bet that was an EZ job offer to accept.I'm sure you'll want to return next year.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - sounds great all around! Congratulations.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, sounds like a great work environment. congrats
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's so awesome. Congrats!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of a joke. An accountant and two gypsies walk into a bar, and the accountant says, "Hey cool! Real gypsies!"
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds wonderful, Boon! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Boon. [Smile]

Ya know, I've always wondered what tax return people do during the rest of the year. Someone once told me that businesses need taxes done all the time. Is that true? I don't see how places like H&R Block and other tax places make enough to live year round and stay open.

What happens April 16th to December?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, that is so awesome. Sounds like your new environment will be structured to support you in the work you love to do -- both raising your child and excercising your job training in meaningful ways.

I'm so, so happy for you. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's personal tax returns that are due April 15th in the US. In Canada, it's April 30th. But - and also in Canada - people who are self-employed don't have to file until June 30th. However, corporations have fiscal year end dates at the end of whatever month they chose. That is, they chose which month when they incorporate or fairly shortly after. In Canada, the corporate tax return is due six months after the year end date. So a corporation with a year end of January 31st has to file by July 31st.

Also quoting Canadian. I was a Canadian, so that's what I know. Oh wait, no, I'm still a Canadian, I just don't live there anymore . . .

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That is GREAT Boon! All companies should be that family friendly.

[ December 12, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

90% of the tax preparers I know only work part time in the spring. Some of them have full time jobs as bank tellers, teachers, grocers, etc. Lots of them are students. Lots of them are moms like me, whose husbands work full time.

Companies like mine train tax preparers from October through December. We only do personal income tax returns. That means the office closes in April.

Business returns are usually done by the CPAs who own the business. And yes, that's year round.

Personally, I like only working 3 months a year. I get summers off to play with the kids. I make enough money to go to the zoo any time I want to and get extras. About the time I start getting bored with the job, it's over. And when I start really missing the adult interaction, it's time to go back to work. [Razz]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. [Smile] I was always curious about that! [Smile]

Sounds like a great job. We went to a tax preparer last time. They were really nice. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.