FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The dkw cineplex is open for business

Author Topic: The dkw cineplex is open for business
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's a bit crowded in the dkw living room, what with all manner of boxes, wires and extra furniture that didn't fit in my little rental house. But I finally had a day to unpack the non-essentials and I managed to move the stereo, DVD/VCR and digital projector into a usable position in the room.

First movie shown: Finding Nemo. In widescreen format, I was able to project it onto the wall at about 4 feet tall and 6+ feet wide. I think we can forego hanging up the screen since her the wall is fairly smooth and painted a matte white. [Big Grin]

So...what shall we watch? Anyone for a LOTR extended edition marathon?

Popcorn's a'poppin'

Sugar free Milk Duds, anyone?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see a nice movie about nature with lots of mountains in it. And sunshine.
I bring my own dealcoholized white wine. And peanuts.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's watch public service anouncements from the 1950s.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
*plops an 8-foot Cuddlebag in the middle of dkw's living room*

Pass the chips and salsa!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
Are you moved up to dkw's town now? Please update me, as I have been out of the news loop.
As for movies, I have no suggestions, since my taste is odd. I would just suggest serving some good chocolate with the popcorn.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of the Caribbean [Big Grin]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail in a while...
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Season 2 of Will and Grace.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Footage from a local martial arts competition.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

A local gas station security camera.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

My niece loaned me the Firefly DVDs. I haven't watched them all yet because I can't find the remote to the DVD player. I can only watch the first item on the DVD and I want to watch them in order. So I've only seen the first (two-part) episode.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Yes I found another one!

::removes CaySedai's brain::

If you're not going to use it sensibly then I just can't let you keep it.

Anyone else like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, since Bob and dkw seem to be busy (must be watching another movie), I will answer on their behalf. (I assume they won't mind.)

Yes, over Thanksgiving, with more than their share of challenges, dkw and Bob got Bob's stuff moved to Iowa.

And there was much rejoicing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

hey! I only used one [Big Grin]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, ooh, oooh - I have a request! I just discovered this movie (shocking, I know, but that's what happens when you live a contemplative lifestyle)

the 1992 Wuthering Heights . . .

Ralph Fiennes (spelling?) sigh . . .

*Settles in for popcorn and eye candy*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
And if there's time, the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? Yes please. [Big Grin]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMMmmmmmmmmm.... Colin Firth... MMMMMMMMMM. And, while we're at it, it may as well become a Colin Firth fest, with Valmont being next on the list. Although, that ones kinda' racy. We might want to leave before it comes on [Wink] . So, instead, we could watch Bridget Jones' Diary over and over. And over.
Yeah. Drive all the boys away.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Songcatcher. The plot's not all that great, but the visuals and music are fantastic.

Of course, if you want plot and music, O Brother, Where Art Thou? is always a good choice.

[ December 13, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh!!!! I loved that movie!!!! [ROFL] It was hilarious!!!!! [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually away doing church stuff when he set this up, so I got to see it working for the first time last night. We watched Indiana Jones. That movie is a lot stupider than I remember it being. But it was fun. [Big Grin]

This is also the first time I’ve had media equipment in my house that requires wires to hook pieces to other pieces. Separate speakers! And amplifiers! And stuff.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana Jones isn't about stupid or smart.

It's about Harrison Ford 25 years ago, with a whip. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Clue. It's perfect to watch while snuggling and falling asleep because it's just as good as a radio show.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The problem with snuggling and falling asleep is that then I have to wake Bob up and send him out into the cold to walk home.

Either that or go out into the cold myself and drive him home, which is clearly worse. [Sleep]

It’s gonna be a long winter.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of good suggestions, but I have to say that nothing compares to seeing Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen. The cinematography is truly awesome! Plus, it's number one of my ten favorite films of all time.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oo, oo, The Great Escape (my favorite movie ever). I want to be Steve McQueen in the worst way. Except for the being dead part.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either that or go out into the cold myself and drive him home, which is clearly worse.
Glad to see this twitterpaited stuff hasn't messed up your priorities too much. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I’d offer to drive more often, but Smokey’s been bribing me. She likes the walks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.