FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Just Saw ROTK...

Author Topic: I Just Saw ROTK...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
...Extended Edition. [Big Grin]

*leaps with glee*

Only the movie though, not any of the 20 hours of extras (except the easter eggs, heh heh heh) but still, it was fabulously marvelous. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I'll say that all the new bits fit in so well it's only until halfway into a scene that you go "Wait a second, this is new!"

Longest movie ever, but it doesn't feel that long. Even the ending doesn't feel long anymore- the entire thing is so massive that the ending is only the ends being wrapped up. Perfect.

One last thing, semi-spoiler:

The Mouth of Sauron is awesome [Big Grin]

EDIT: Changed title. Cripticness is not a good thing unless you're in the secret service.

[ December 13, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited. And the great thing for me is, the ending didn't seem long, even the 4th time I saw it (or the many zillions of times on DVD). I'm looking forward to the other stuff and all the behind the scenes goodies. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It never did really for me, I had to say that because for so many people it was a major failing point; now, it can hardly be considered long, considering the amount of film it has to bring closure to!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to wait 'till Christmas. [Frown]
At least I *hope* we're getting it then...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!

BUT, I am also very furious about what happens to the Mouth of Sauron. Grrrr.... I've said it before and I'll say it again: You do not hurt Ambassadors. Even if that ambassador is from someone you hate. ESPECIALLY if that ambassador is from someone you hate.

I'm sure PJ was all like "Oohhh more head rolling, and our hero looks strong". No. What makes Aragorn become King Elessar is not because he won a battle and took over the City with a 1000 year old claim...it's because he is a healer... and because he obeys the rules of engagement even when the Enemy does not.

And another thing that ticks me off is the last exchange with Frodo and Gollum: "Smeagol promised!" says Frodo. "Smeagol lied!" says Gollum. This COMPLETELY destroyes the power of the Ring. Which I can understand why it was cut for the TE. Frodo used the power of a god to bind Gollum to his promise... the problem is that the god/Ring is evil and twists that promise to it's own end. Frodo new this from the beginning and even warned Gollum of it. For Gollum to give the excuse "I lied" takes away any power the Ring might have had.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching, and while I can't think of anything really extraordinary that got put back in, the movie felt a whole lot more complete. And I don't know if it's the added length or the fact that I haven't watched the movie for a while, but the ending felt even more spot-on this time. It was just as painful as the book's.

Now I need to get a few hours of sleep before work. *passes out*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfffffft!!!

I am getting the whole extended edition trilogy on DVD today!

Ha ha!

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they have 24-hour WalMarts in Poland? I've had my copy since 12:01. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I have it delivered straight to my apartment so I don't even have to go out! [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2004/12/14/
Foxtrot once again proves itself the perfect comic for geeks like us

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't seen ROTK. I think I'm delaying the inevitable ending of it all. [Frown]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own a single EE version of any of them. [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, and I'm too poor to get it right now. [Frown]

But I heard it's wonderful. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't actually own it until Christmas, though I am going to try very very hard to rent it Friday. I've done this with both of the other EEs, and it's been great fun.

Lucky you all who buy it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person here who didn't like the LotR movies?

Or am I simply the only person on the planet who didn't like them? [Razz]

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me of these Easter Eggs of which you speak.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just itching with anticipation, but I have no clue when I can carve out such a large block of time to watch these movies! It may well be after Christmas. Just so much to do, right now.

[Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Adrian! Call me, woman!

*hug*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I normally can't watch a movie I've seen before, but I may just have to see about asking my nerd friends if I can watch the extended editions with them once finals are over... [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia - I know, I know, I suck as a friend. [Frown] I owe you more phone calls than I owe money to people.

Will do - give me a chance to get the munchkinds calmed down, they are currently chasing my mother's kitten across the basement and singing Christmas carols.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
BUT, I am also very furious about what happens to the Mouth of Sauron.
I understand completely where you are coming from. Since I don't want to make this a spoiler thread I will say that someone who I watched the movie with made a comment that was actually very funny, from Sauron's POV, dispelling any diplomacy discussions.

And it's not as if the Mouth Of Sauron was being particularly diplomatic anyway. Also, they weren't there to treat, there were there to provide, in Legolas' words, "a diversion."

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Tell me of these Easter Eggs of which you speak
I can't tell you. They wouldn't be easter-eggs if I told you.

Suffice to say that they are hilarious.

*stifled laughter*

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I can die happy, I have seen the culmination of the greatest movie ever, and the greatest TV show. (The Buffy Musical!) This movie worked only in the extended form, you could feel the voids in the theatrical release. Thank God I got to see it before I left!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a rather good position right now. The theatrical release was so incredibly bad and disappointing, the EE can't possibly be worse. So I'm sure to like it. I'm even going to buy it before I watch it (this weekend... I don't have time to watch it before then.)
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

You find out where the eggs are because somebody tells you, though. I don't need the content, just directions.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah. Er, I didn't find the eggs myself, I was in the company of a friend. They're on disk one and two (as in, the movie not the extra) and they're probably on what looks like the decoration of the menu screens.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*just finished watching*

um.

wow.

[Hail]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
there are two easter eggs? I only saw the one on disk one!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
The one on disc two is in the same place as the one on disc one, AJ.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's sitting under the Christmas tree, but I have to finish rereading The Two Towers so I can watch the Two Towers EE, and then reread Return of the King by Christmas Day (but without rushing it),and I'm really busy, before I'll let myself watch RotK EE, so it could be after Christmas ...
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing an all three EE marathon on saturday. We are treating it as one long movie.

Approximately 11 hours 14 minutes.
(not including credits)

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Watched half of cast commentary today.

[The Wave]

Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
The cast commentaries are my favorite. Especially when they are all teasing Elijah Wood.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.