FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think you are supposed to put your bras in the dryer.
Really? I always have -- with no problems.

edit: I always "hook" them first (as if they were fastened on me) so they are less likely to hook onto other things in the dryer.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I will SOMETIMES with CERTAIN bras wash them in the washer, but I never put them in the dryer. The dryer eats them.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Run, jump, jog up and down stairs, do martial arts...

Yup. Every now and then I have a day when my breasts get tender and I need to put on a sports bra to do those things, but those days are very rare. It used to bother me to be so flat chested but the older I get, the more I appreciate it.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Just taking this opportunity to let y'all know, since the thread came up, that I'm having a reduction very soon. Little scared, very excited. No more DDDoh!
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this thread! As a direct result of reading this yesterday, I got over my "I can do it better myself" attitude and went and got fitted for a bra.

I went in wearing a 36D. I came out wearing a 34G. And what a difference--I've had a nagging pain between my shoulder blades for ages now (comes and goes) that I had pretty much decided must be due to bad bra fitting, and sure enough--the pain was gone almost immediately.

I'm not going to say that the thing is comfortable. The underwire digs into my ribs when I'm sitting; she told me to wear it no looser, though, or the band will ride up. I don't know if comfort is really possible with large breasts. DaisyMae, I wish you all the best and can totally understand the motivation.

The sports bra, though . . . man, that is a total miracle. Cotton and totally supportive. No movement. I've never had that in a bra that didn't choke me. No, I take that back--I've never had it, period. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to wear the sports bra under a nice blouse, or else forget the underwire contraption! I didn't buy the sports bra yet because they were $55 each and I could only afford one.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
DaisyMae, I hope it all goes well and you wind up a comfortable size. [Smile]

Uprooted, I have, in the past, been able to find bras to fit that were comfortable. I hope I'll be able to make bras that are comfortable. I think it's possible, but I think it also requires a very close to perfect fit.

About the sports bra you're talking about - is it underwire as well? I ask because I'm going to be making my own bras and I'm looking for design ideas. If you've found one that's comfortable and cottong, I'm curious about it. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Here's the sports bra--not underwire but most wonderful:

linky

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Do you guys think it'd be useful for me to get a sports bra? I've just been using a regular bra that I bought a size too small. Does it help? I don't get much pain in the chest. I do get stress in between my shoulderblades, but I'm too small for my breasts to be causing that, I think.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

pH, I would at least go and try on some sports bras. They are usually designed to compress your breasts into your chest somewhat, so I think they would make a difference even in small-busted women. Could the stress between the shoulderblades be from the too-small bra? That's pretty much how I would describe the discomfort I was feeling that led me to finally go get fitted.
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew about not drying the bra in the dryer until today when my mother asked me why I had a bra in the dryer. I've been doing that since I've been doing my own laundry, but now I know better! And the good news is that my Hubby can fix the dryer with a $50 part! The underwire caught the something or other and shorted it out and fused to it. I don't break anything halfway! Oh no! We fuse metal in this house!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted, thanks for the link. That looks like a really decent design. I might see if I can do something like that. It would be nice to have at least one cotton bra without underwire to wear on occasion (I get heat rash under my boobies, and when it's itchy, the underwires... oh, the underwires...)

pH, I don't know. I've read that even men can get jogger's nipple, for example, but that isn't what you're describing. I have no idea. I guess you could get a sports bra and find out. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

They didn't have any sports bras in my size. [Frown]

I've been wearing a 36AA to work out, even though I'm a 34B/32C. But tonight, I finally found a normal 32C bra, so I'm just going to use that for everyday wear for the next day or two and see how it feels. I know changing from 36A to 34B made a pretty big difference.

Unfortunately, VS doesn't make many bras in 32C.

-pH

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dispose of those old bras responsibly!

quote:
Teen in flying bra crash is charged with littering
By JOE VARDON
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Emily Davis, 17, of Bowling Green was charged in county juvenile court with one count of littering for putting her bra on the antenna of a car traveling north on I-75 in Middleton Township on Sept. 26 with three other teenage girls inside.

The bra, which reportedly had been frayed because it was chewed by Miss Davis' dog earlier in the day, flew off the antenna. The Ohio Highway Patrol said a trailing car with two Toledo men inside swerved into the grassy median to avoid the object, flipping over several times.

link
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate shopping for bras and I really get annoyed with the stuff that goes in them a good amount the time.

Problem is, as outgoing, conversation-starting I am with a gazillion topics, I have a really hard time when it comes to bras. I went to Victoria's Secret once but really didn't feel like I got any help. I'm (i think) a 34DD and for some reason the attendant loved the bras that pushed 'em up and made them look even bigger and suggested to me that those were the ones I should walk away with. Horrible experience, really, since I just like to make them look normal instead of like monsters coming out of my chest.

A good number of my bras (got 4 from an aunt one year and they've been the best ever. fit comfortably with no excess jiggling or cleavage...) are coming to the end of their time of usefulness. Guess I'm going to have to suck up my self-conscious insecurities, take some advice from this thread and let someone help me find what I need.

To think that what goes in them can be so useful but so annoying at the same time...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

GAH! I'm telling you, if I was a 34DD, those things would be jacked up to my chin every single day. *LOL* You have no idea how much I enjoy the fact that I can finally KIND OF make cleavage.

But that's interesting...whenever I go to Victoria's Secret, if I want a push-up, they always steer me more toward the push-up without padding, which is a more subtle look.

-pH

quidscribis
Member # 5124

cmc, do you know the make and model of the bras you love? If you do, see if you can find more of the exact same ones. Barring that, at least try to find more by the same manufacturer. Finding bras that work that well are, well, wonderful!
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, quidscribis. I'm going to ask my Aunt. No clue why I hadn't thought of this earlier. Thank You.

(why do i have to ask my aunt and not just look at the tag? cause i rip them out. oh, to be a c ;p )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Tags wear out and lose their ability to impart information over time anyway.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I went bra shopping this week. Go measured and fitted and everything.

The verdict?

40-Gee.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I was an F while I was pregnant. My boobs were failures!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I order some bras from Just My Size. I would not recommend them.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a love affair with Volage, and I think I'll be able to pick up some new ones at the start of November.

*dreams

Good bras make for happy women.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just discussing bras with my husband (i.e., why I usually don't wear them.)

Our conclusion? Camisole styles with built-in bras might be good for me-- if they weren't hard to use with garments.

(Once I'm not nursing or pregnant, that is. If that isn't, like, 40 years from now. [Wink] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
so much suspended by
a red brassiere
soaked with night sweat
beneath the white t-shirt

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
so much suspended by
a red brassiere
soaked with night sweat
beneath the white t-shirt

[Hat] to Noemon Carlos Williams
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad UBB makes it difficult to get the spacing right. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

True. I didn't even try.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was excellent, too.

(I considered "lovely" and "enchanting," but each seemed oddly appropriate/inappropriate, so I'll stick with "excellent." *smile)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CT's link was to a site I hadn't see before. Which had brands I hadn't seen before.

So I ordered a couple. Now I have a bra that is considerably more comfortable than the ones I usually wear . . . but I think not nearly as flattering. [Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

Six days and counting until I get my breast reduction surgery. I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight of 135, so I feel good about going into the surgery at a healthy, fit, weight. The girls didn't really get any smaller during my weight loss.

So I'm nervous and excited. I have a 3 year old and a 1 one year old, but my husband is taking three weeks off (which is great since he's been out of town for three) to help, seeing as how I'm not allowed to lift anything over 5 lbs for quite a while.

My concern now, which I haven't given much thought to before, is that I have only ever shopped for big-boob bras. I have no idea what to look for now that I don't have to worry about minimizers and wide straps and all that. So what are the best bras for people in the B-C cup range. Any faves? Particularly ones that are smooth? Underwire/not underwire?

Hopes and prayers for a uncomplicated surgery on by behalf and I'll keep y'all updated.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

Six days and counting until I get my breast reduction surgery. I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight of 135, so I feel good about going into the surgery at a healthy, fit, weight. The girls didn't really get any smaller during my weight loss.

So I'm nervous and excited. I have a 3 year old and a 1 one year old, but my husband is taking three weeks off (which is great since he's been out of town for three) to help, seeing as how I'm not allowed to lift anything over 5 lbs for quite a while.

My concern now, which I haven't given much thought to before, is that I have only ever shopped for big-boob bras. I have no idea what to look for now that I don't have to worry about minimizers and wide straps and all that. So what are the best bras for people in the B-C cup range. Any faves? Particularly ones that are smooth? Underwire/not underwire?

Hopes and prayers for a uncomplicated surgery on by behalf and I'll keep y'all updated.

rivka
Member # 4859

GOOD LUCK!

Hope the surgery and recovery both go smoothly.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I just think it is adorable that you make pairs of posting in the bra thread.

Oh, and good luck with the surgery.

DaisyMae
Member # 9722

Um.. yeah. It was intentional. I was.. uh.. trying to be funny. [Blushing]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

Back when I was a b/c, I just had *fun* bra shopping - underwire, not underwire, lace, demi-cups, cotton, sheer - the world is your oyster! Or some other mollusc that enjoys wearing bras.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quid, you mentioned that you liked the look of the sports bra I linked to above (Oct. 12 post). Since I finally actually bought it and have worn it a while, I thought I'd point something out that is a bit annoying about it. There is a very thick, wide elastic band at the bottom. And it rolls after being worn for a while.

It isn't bad enough to stop me from wearing it; it's still probably the best fitting sports bra I've had. But I thought I'd mention that if you are still thinking of making one like it.

Did you ever buy your underwires and stuff when you were in Dubai?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Uprooted, thanks. [Smile] I hate elastics that roll. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

I've found bra elastic here, though, that looks to me to be thick enough that it wouldn't roll. It's used for industrial strength bra straps and the like. Probably 2 mm thick, if you can translate that to something familiar.

Didn't get underwires or anything bra related in Dubai. Not enough time. [Frown]

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
What is this thread about? Bras? There need to be Man-Bras... like in Seinfeld.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So in other news, my E cups are now snug.

I haven't put on any weight. In fact I've lost 2.5 kg. But they still grow!

[Mad]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You've got wonder boobs!
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

I used to have wonder boobs. I wondered what the heck was wrong with me that they just kept getting bigger!

7 weeks out of surgery - I went from DDD to B and for all of you wishing you could be bigger I will tell you the grass is MUCH greener on this side.

On the downside, bra shopping has got me perplexed. I thought I would be able to just buy whatever looked cute, but I'm so radically different that I've had to change my thinking in what I'm actually looking for in a bra. Still looking for a true winner. (And looking for time to search for the true winner when I don't have my little children nipping about.)

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
If I was a woman, I would want a bra that can save me from a bullet.

It had to be mentioned here.
[Taunt]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a big fan of champion's sport's bras. really comfortable, lots of support, looks nice in a sports bra sort of way.

i don't know what style it is, but it came in red and yellow, and it's got two layers of awesome stretchy fabric. i got it at target super cheap.

they've got a million styles on their website.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes head in*

*stops*

*sneakily makes a Peter Griffin exit*

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, I finally did it. I finished sewing my bra today.

I used my old perfectly fitting bra as my pattern, which is both good and bad. Good because it was a perfectly fitting bra, and my new bra fits perfectly. Bad because it was made with flimsly materials, and I didn't get enough of the heavy duty elastic, for example, because on the flimsy bra, it only needed a little bit for the strap, whereas I really needed the heavy duty elastic along the band as well. In other words, while I made improvements on the construction, I didn't improve enough.

Well, I'll do better on my next one. Meanwhile, it's comfortable, and I have a reasonable amoung of lift, and the girls are separated at the sternum by the properly resting-on-the-breastbone underwire. Seriously, a very good fit. [Big Grin] And not just a little bit comfortable, but really really comfortable. [Big Grin]

Oh, and I took a bunch of false starts on stitching, so lookswise, it ain't nuthin' to brag about. But [Razz] at least I've made one. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

...and I knocked it into a new page...

(Get it? Knocked... Er, never mind...)

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is amazing and admirable that you are resourceful enough to make your own, quidscribis, to overcome the lack of availability where you are living.
Myself, I would never have attempted it because I would be certain I would fail. You have my awe and respect.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Hooray for quid! Wanna come make me a swimsuit?

I actually just bought a camisole with a bra inside at the lingerie shop where I was fitted. It looks like a tankini top and the materials will work for swimming. However, it did not have matching bottoms. The salesgirl told me that other women have bought that top and found bottoms at target. Hah. I tried Target, Kohl's, and Lands' End, which all sell swimwear separates, and let me tell you, that top I bought is definitely last year's colors. No one has bottoms in colors to match. It's a floral with a light yellowish green that's somewhere in the celery/lime range, and some reds I'd describe as boysenberry or burgundy. Those colors are not in the stores right now. I am trying to decide between returning the top and buying black bottoms. I think it will be the latter, because I really don't have much hope of finding a better-fitting swim top elsewhere. I hate buying online for that kind of thing because I'm totally lazy about returning things via the mail, and fit is so iffy.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Awe, Farmgirl, that's so sweet. Thank you. *blushes*

It's really not that hard. I mean, I goofed plenty, but it was all fixable, and so it doesn't look great, but the functionality is there, so I don't care. It took a total of about four hours, what with all the seam ripping and figuring out what to do as I went. It's not complicated, honest. I procrastinated for so long because I thought it was going to be worse than it was.

Uprooted - [Big Grin] If you saw it, you wouldn't be so anxious. *laughs*

If it's that difficult for you to find tops that fit, I'd probably do exactly what you suggested - get black bottoms. Sucks that you can't find a better match, though.

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.