FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 13)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt -- couldn't you sew cups into your dress? Or does it not have a lining?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to buy more bras; I'm down to 2 and they're both in very sorry shape. Sometimes I feel like I'm singlehandedly putting Omar the Tentmaker's 17 children through college [Mad]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I need to get some more too. Hey Stray, wanna go shopping? [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

What? [Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go, but uhh fugu, I think you'd be easily bored, you just get to sit outside dressing rooms and hold purses.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Try shopping for bras in a country where the average woman is a size -4 and you're . . . much larger than that. [Roll Eyes] I have no idea if I'm even going to be able to find bras that fit here. The concept of anything over a C cup seems to be lost. . .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr! VS has discontinued my bra size in stores, and I just don't feel comfortable buying a bra online 'cause it's one of those things you want to fit perfectly. Gap Body sometimes has my size, I discovered, but sometimes not. Everywhere else I've looked (except online) does not sell my size. I don't think I'm that strange size-wise. How many women can't find a decent-fitting bra in stores?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Try shopping for bras in a country where the average woman is a size -4 and you're . . . much larger than that. I have no idea if I'm even going to be able to find bras that fit here. The concept of anything over a C cup seems to be lost. . .
Try the reverse! [Mad]

EDIT: "Oh, sorry, we don't stock that size anymore."

Um. Excuse me?

[ April 12, 2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*reminisces* My baby brother used to be my shopping buddy. He was a world champion at bored purse-holding.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*peeks into thread*

Shopping? We're going shopping? How come we haven't had a girl-shopping-outing-Con, anyway?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Hey! Guys can like shopping too!

*going shopping for all sorts of clothing, mainly to go with his new business suit, tomorrow*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, guys can like shopping. But going underwear shopping with a girl usually means you are not shopping, you are waiting.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless, of course, you're planning on buying something for yourself. In that case, by all means, enjoy yourself.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I went shopping the other day and a 12DD was too small for me.

Not accross the back, just the cups.

[Mad]

Will they *ever* stop growing?

(And no, I'm not pregnant.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, when I was at the store the other day, I noticed the bras were labelled in that way - 14D. How does that translate to North American 32Ds and such?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It was my impression ElJay was advocating a more generalized shopping trip, though I could be wrong.

And 'sides, most places that sell women's underwear one can buy other things in the vicinity, if not the same store.

imogen
Member # 5485

Quid - the cup size is exactly the same.

The back size is just labelled differently. So a 12DD = 34DD.

Here is a chart with all the different labelling.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently found that built in bras work for me. They used to never have enough support, but now that I am 2 cup sizes down I don't seem to have that issue. It is nice to not have to wear underwires, but it is also would be nice to actually have breasts.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
but fugu, Eljay hadn't posted that by the time you said you wanted to go shopping, it was raia and stray.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
ooooh, shopping trip! [Big Grin]

Meanwhile, I've finally found an underwire bra that I can wear without wanting to remove and burn it halfway through the day. It's pricey, but I think it might be worth it.

Edited to add: No boys allowed at bra-shopping! *thwacks fugu* [Razz]

[ April 13, 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

We should totally have a shop-con. I'm in. Put me on the list right now.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are we going shopping? NYC? Mall of America?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in NYC in October, but I haven't been to Mall of America since I was a teenager.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to NYC in over 8 years, and have never been to MoA.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan, i know exactly what you mean, I haven't wanted to burn an underwire in a few months now, that's an improvement.

A shopping con would be tons of fun, maybe just a clump gathering locally though would be easier (lately i've actually been thinking about logistics of things) so if megan, stray, raia, allegra, blacwolve, and others wanna go shopping sometime, that'd be awesome.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I'd love it!

At the risk of sounding dumb, I'm assuming you're in the Bloomington clump, lucy? Even more embarassing, are you someone I've actually met? [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Mall of America is 5 minutes from my house. Just sayin'. [Big Grin]

I do need to go bra shopping, too... I've got a fabulous new dress that is cut kinda odd, and none of my current bras really work with it.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate shopping, and I hate bras. Bra shopping is about my most hated activity, right up there with being chased by a pack of rabid dogs.

I say, instead of getting together and buying bras and supporting the machine, we Hatrack women get together and stage a large scale protest against bras. Jatraqueras Against Bras Unite!

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and you should all totally burn them! And then we Hatrack men can get together and have WatchingTheJatraquerasTakeOffTheirBrasAndBurnThemCon! Woooo! Power to the people! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate, loathe, and despise shopping for clothing of any kind. I dislike shopping in general, but clothes shopping is by far the worst. I have no choice but to buy bras online, as no lingerie shops within a 100-mile radius (at least) have my size. And yes, buying them online sucks--it took more than a year of trial and error before I figured out what my size really was (because the sizing charts lie, usually).
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry megan, when I posted earlier I was at school, but I actually knew that password and needed to reply to something so used it.

Oh I did go to Victoria Secret today and try on the Ipex, it was different, but I couldn't tell exactly what was so special, it fit, and was about $10 more than my normal bra which I love. So needless to say, I didn't buy one today, though it did feel more comfortable and make me look very perky. [Smile]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
*High fives Abby*

Bras suck.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
<---Remembers the time he got dragged into a Victoria's Secret by his friend Jenny.

<---Remembers he was glad when they left and went to Sears to look at power tools. [Big Grin]

To add on to the first: It is impossible to stop a 5'4" blonde with blue eyes from doing what she wants. I was forced into that place I tell you!

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan-Does the same apply to a 5'11" blond with blue eyes? Because if it does I have wasted far too much time being diplomatic.

I would love a shopping con! I think we should do it in Chicago. Still close, but many more options. We could do it sometime in the last couple weeks of June.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
That just happened to be her height. Now, her and I are old friends, to be nice about it.

edited to add: Mind you, she forced me in there back when we were in high school. Ok, so she dragged me in there and I hardly put up a fight.

[ April 13, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Imogen, thank you for that link.

I swear, though, that the D I saw in the store looked more like a training bra than anything else. [Dont Know]

Megan
Member # 5290

Sarah/breyer/lucy: Ah, that makes sense. [Big Grin]

Edited to add: I'd protest the bra, if I could. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil for me.

[ April 13, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I love that I now have three names.

I'd get rid of bras too, but I really can't, so I just go for comfortable ones, and not when possible.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I went shopping over lunch, and noticed a bra with a huge sticker on the front proclaiming "HIDDEN POCKET."

My initial response was "Great! A place to slide your key and some mad money, so you don't have to lug around a purse when you're out dancing and don't have any pockets! What a neat idea!" I figure women have been sticking things in their bras for long enough it's about time someone made one with a pocket for it.

Then I got closer and read the fine print... "Use with Silicon, Water, Foam, or Air pads."

Oh. Well what fun is that? *sigh*

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread still exists?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

threads don't go off the board for years unless their owner deletes them, plus this one has staying power with support and everything.

It's not going anywhere, no sagging allowed.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Eljay, if you had the inclination - that wouldn't be a bad product line.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I don't know... keys in my bra?

*ouch*!

TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* It occured to me that there were specific things women could carry in such a pocket - ID, a credit card, a few cash bills, things like that.

Articles carried would have to be smallish and thin - coins, keys and so on would obviously be out.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I'm just thinking of the barperson's face when I start to respond to the question "Do you have any ID on you?"
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* Maybe I just frequent some tame bars... [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(And I had my eyes open and was watching the light...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN?

Really twinky? Having your eyes open while kissing seems strange? I'd say that my eyes are as likely to be open as closed when I'm kissing.

Years ago Christine and I were taking a class together, and one of our classmates was trying to freak her out by talking about subjects he thought were taboo, hoping for a fluttering handed, flustered response from her. Everything he was saying was almost laughably tame though. I remember that his ace in the hole was asking Christine if she looked into her partner's eyes while having sex. She freaked him out pretty badly by telling him that it depended on the position. It was pretty funny to see him express exactly the flustered response he'd been hoping to elicit from her.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Big Grin]

Great story, Noemon.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Having your eyes open while kissing seems strange?
Reviewing the thread, were we? [Wink]

When I'm kissing someone, and I mean really kissing her, I'm so focused on the her lips and tongue and body that having my eyes open for most or all of the time would be information overload.

I had a lot more here originally, but I guess I should save that stuff for Sakeriver.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yep. When I read Papa Moose asking somebody to be less explicit I started trying to remember which thread it had been in that the conversation had warbled between the clinical, the ribald, and stories about childhoods spent in the woods, and wondering whether this kind of thing would continue to be allowed to be on this forum. This really is a great thread, you know? It's one that I consider almost archetypally Hatrackian.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.