FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blood compatibility question

Author Topic: Blood compatibility question
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here is a question I got curious about. I asked my doctor, who is otherwise pretty cool, but in this instance really pushed my buttons by telling me I was thinking too deeply.

I am Rh negative, A negative to be exact. My husband is A positive. This basically means that I get a shot with every pregnancy so that I don't develop antibodies to the Rh protein marker on blood cells. So husband and I were talking about antibodies and germs, and blood proteins and stuff like that one night. And it occured to me that pregnant ladies with O type blood don't get shots to not develop antibodies to the A or B factors, nor do people with A type blood get shots for B type blood, and the reverse. And yet aren't those protein markers more important in compatibility than the Rh factors?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also rH negative - O negative in fact. My exhusband had A negative blood. I did get rhogam after the birth of my second daughter who has A negative blood. But it was a Navy hospital and they were idjits.

ABO incompatibility is not as serious as Rh incompatibility as I recall, but I can't really remember why now... But of my 6 children, 3 were O negative and 3 were A negative, and I was only given rhogam the one time...

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ABO incompatibility CAN be an issue. However, the results are much less problematic.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

According to this link the A&B proteins are too large to pass the placenta and that is why there is not as much of a risk... I've never heard that before, and I'm not sure of the veracity of the site tho.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
From Rivka's link: "Significant disease occurs mostly in the newborn where the mother's blood type is O and the infant's is type A or B."

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Edit: nevermind, Maui Babe's link explained it all.

[ December 16, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nope. O means no protein is present; A means there is one type, and B another. A type-O mother's immune system recognizes A and B proteins as foreign invaders, and produces antibodies to kill 'em.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

No, because it's the mother's blood that's making the antibodies that cause the problems. A person with A or B type blood can recieve O type blood with no ill effects, but not the other way around.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several different classes of antibodies. The placenta allows passage of IgG antibodies which can bind the Rhesus protein on red blood cells. ABO agglutination is caused by IgM binding. As IgM antibodies do not cross the placenta there is no problem with incompatible blood types.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[to mauibabe] Actually, type-specific blood is preferred to type-O blood -- when possible. The side-effects of an A, B, or AB getting type-O are minor, not non-existent.

And there are some rare individuals with other, less common blood-protein incompatibilities, who cannot be given type-O blood at all.

[ December 16, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

maui babe
Member # 1894

Yeah, I kind of knew that, and there are other blood proteins that we don't even test for... (or did you say that too?) Blood tranfusions are risky no matter how you look at it, but if your only other option is to bleed to death, you take what you can get. [Dont Know]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the blood mixing only occured during birth itself. That's why you get one shot prior to delivery, right? I'm curious to understand exactly what does happen. But I thought the placenta was a complete barrier against all antigens, otherwise the baby would be like a massive exogenous transplant, and be quickly rejected by the mother's immune system. I thought that only during birth itself is there some mixing of the blood, and the mother might therefore form antibodies against the baby's blood which could persist and cause complications with future pregnancies. Did I misunderstand the explanations above? (Probably so!)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not the antiGENS that cross the placenta, it's the antiBODIES? Those are just large molecules, right? As opposed to the antigens which would have to be carried on actual cells? Is that the difference?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and do this off the top of my head...

The first baby will be born fine, but during the delivery, the baby's blood will mingle with the mother's blood. The mother's immune system will develop antibodies to the rhesus factor.

Then when the second baby is developing, if that baby is also +, the antibodies that can pass the placenta will do so, and harm the fetus.

The rhogam shot is designed to interfere with the baby's + antigen from connecting with the mother's immune system.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

antigens are the bits of protein that are seen as foreign by the body's immune system.

antibody is the immune system protein your body makes to combat the antigens. An antibody matches an antigen, lock and key. There are five classes of antibodies (IgG, IgA, IgM, IgD, IgE) that act differently.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is fascinating to me. I have A - blood, and didn't hear about any of this rh business until I was reading the Americal Medical Association Family Health Manual at the age of 12. Then it really freaked me out. I went running to my Mom demanding an explanation. "Mom! My offspring are going to die!"

Why did this come into being? Did people have problems with this in years past, or was it just considered normal for some women to only have one child that survived?

Crazy stuff.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

did a quick check,
quote:
This reaction doesn't always occur and is less likely to occur if the child carries either the A or B antigen and the mother does not. In the past, Rh incompatibility could result in stillbirth or death of the mother. Rh incompatibility was until recently the most common cause of long term disability in the United States. At first, this was treated by transfusing the blood of infants who survived. At present, this affliction can be treated with certain anti-Rh(+) antisera, the most common of which is Rhogam.
So, sorry to make it sound like it happens to every baby after the first, though I have no clue how often it occurs (obviously trials would be unethical).
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
From eMedicine.com on Rh incompatibility:

quote:
Rh incompatibility can occur by 2 main mechanisms. It can occur when an Rh-negative mother is exposed to Rh-positive fetal erythrocytes secondary to fetomaternal hemorrhage during the course of pregnancy from spontaneous or induced abortion, trauma, invasive obstetrical procedures, or delivery. Rh incompatibility also can occur when an Rh-negative female receives a blood transfusion that contains Rh antigens.

The most common cause of Rh incompatibility is exposure to an Rh-negative mother by Rh-positive fetal blood during pregnancy or delivery, whereby erythrocytes from the fetal circulation leak into the maternal circulation. After a significant exposure, alloimmunization or sensitization occurs, and maternal antibodies are produced against the foreign Rh antigen.

Once produced, maternal Rh immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies may cross freely from the placenta to the fetal circulation, where they form antigen-antibody complexes with Rh-positive fetal erythrocytes and eventually are destroyed, resulting in a fetal alloimmune-induced hemolytic anemia. Although the Rh blood group systems consist of several antigens (eg, D, C, c, E, e), the D antigen is the most immunogenic; therefore, it most commonly is involved in Rh incompatibility.

Pathophysiology: The amount of fetal blood necessary to produce Rh incompatibility varies. In one study, less than 1 mL of Rh-positive blood has been shown to sensitize volunteers with Rh-negative blood. Conversely, other studies have suggested that 30% of persons with Rh-negative blood never develop Rh incompatibility, even when challenged with large volumes of Rh-positive blood.

The risk and severity of alloimmune response increases with each subsequent pregnancy involving a fetus with Rh-positive blood. In women who are prone to Rh incompatibility, the second pregnancy with an Rh-positive fetus often produces a mildly anemic infant, whereas succeeding pregnancies produce more seriously affected infants who ultimately may die in utero from massive antibody-induced hemolytic anemia.

[Note that ABO incompatibility is protective because it leads to destruction of the fetal cells often before they can sensitize the mother:]

The incidence of Rh incompatibility in the Rh-negative ABO incompatible mother is reduced dramatically to 1-2% and is believed to occur because the mother's serum contains antibodies against the ABO blood group of the fetus. Fetal erythrocytes apparently are destroyed in the maternal circulation before Rh sensitization can proceed to a significant extent.
[The numbers:]
Rh sensitization occurs in approximately 1:1000 births to Rh-negative women. The Southwest US has an incidence approximately 1.5 times the national average, which likely is caused by immigration factors and limited access to prenatal care. Only 17% of pregnant women with Rh-negative blood who are exposed to Rh-positive fetal blood cells ever develop Rh antibodies.

[ December 17, 2004, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm O+, my children and their father are all A+. No Rhogam anywhere because no (type) neg issues, but all kids were jaundiced at birth. I was told by the nurses at the hospital that this was directly related to the different blood types. Heather - my eldest - was the worst affected and spent 4 days under bilirubin lights before she could go home and then had home healthcare nurses coming out twice a week to check on her and make sure things were still going okay. Hannah (the first of two surrogates) also spent time under lights but nowhere near as much.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to try and do this off the top of my head...

The first baby will be born fine, but during the delivery, the baby's blood will mingle with the mother's blood. The mother's immune system will develop antibodies to the rhesus factor.

Then when the second baby is developing, if that baby is also +, the antibodies that can pass the placenta will do so, and harm the fetus.

Speaking from 2nd hand experience, I think this is how it works.

My Dad has a weird thing with his blood type -- He's type Ac or A with little c. So he and my mom have four normal kids, one of whom we assume also has Ac because when #5 (me) comes along, there are problems with Mom's antibodies fighting off my blood cells. I don't think it was a huge problem until after I was born... after they took me home I was jaundiced and had to go back to sit under the lights.

With my little brother (#6, probably #3 with Ac) there were significantly more problems. They ended up doing a C-section about a month early, he had severe jaundice, and Mom was having various problems.

I think my mom's OBGYN ended up writing something about this Ac phenomenon in a book with my family as the main example... [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I and my ex are both O+. Not surprisingly, so are all three kids.

All had jaundice -- one bad enough to be under lights, one almost, and one very mild.

Most newborn jaundice has nothing to do with blood type.

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I knew all of it about Rh incompatibility, but now I know why ABO incompatibility is not much of a problem.

But let me summarize to make sure I understand correctly. Basically, the antibodies for A and/or B proteins are too big to pass easily through the placenta, but the antibodies for Rh can pass through. Sweet. I always think it is so fantastic how our bodies work.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I didn't mean that the only effect was jaundice, those were just the ones that I remember hearing about. Mostly it was my mom that got really sick with me and my little brother, but other than the jaundice we seem to be just fine (normal brain/physical develpment, etc.).
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.