FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier today a thread was started in which a fairly new poster recommended that we give Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a look. I responded by saying that the Hitchhiker's guide was one of those books that you could just generally assume that everyone on the forum was familiar with. There would inevitably be exceptions, of course, but they would be few and far between.

What other books, movies, etc. can you pretty much count on everyone here having experienced? Here's what I came up with in that post:

1. Hitchhiker's Guide
2. Princess Bride (the movie)
3. So I Married an Axe Murderer
4. At least one book by OSC, usually but not always being Ender's Game

I know that there are other things that fit this criteria, but I'm having trouble coming up with them.

Hmmm...

5. Calvin and Hobbes
6 Strongbad (maybe--what do you think?)

What else?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of that same thing when someone posted a link to the badgerbadgerbadger page. That and Strong Bad are pretty much givens, you think?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Strong Bad? Huh? [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If liking StrongBad is required, we have a problem.

I have finally made it from loathing to mild dislike.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! Never Strong Bad? Get thee to homestarrunner.com post haste.

These are all short cartoons written in response to people's emails. The list goes chronologically, the newest first.

You don't have to watch them in any specific order, though I always reccommend that your first one be "Dragon," followed by "English Paper" and "Japanese Cartoon."

Warning: this will be your new addiction.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought of that same thing when someone posted a link to the badgerbadgerbadger page.
Yeah, well, I'd never seen it before. So sue me. [Razz]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add "The Dark Tower Series", "Lord of the Rings","Song of Ice and Fire", The Bible and Neil Gaiman's stuff.
I've recommended the "Outlander" series to many, but it doesn't come-up very often.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Monty Python, Holy Grail in particular but actually the entire canon.

Lord of the Rings (the books)

Possibly Dune?

One of the things about hatrack that I love is that you can toss out references to just about anything, and somebody will get it. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I will never be in the RR Martin group per my own choice.

And I also hadn't seen the badgerbadgerbadger thing until it was posted here yesterday. [Smile]

But all that other stuff? Totally a given. [Wink]

(ak, that's true. That's one thing that's great about having interests and careers that differ from everyone else's...like beekeeping for instance! [Big Grin] You usually have someone here that understands, and if not, there's usually someone that's willing to give it a read, a listen, or a try so they can discuss it with you!)

[ December 19, 2004, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
1, 2, 4, and 5 for me...

I only saw So I Married an Axe Murderer once, and, well, *whispers* didn't enjoy it enough to see it again. Also, since we're revealing deep, dark secrets...while I recognize Strongbad, my feelings sort of run with rivka's on that one.

That said, I heard of Strongbad because of hatrack, and I read the Song of Fire and Ice because of hatrack. I have not, however, read much, if any of Neil Gaiman. I do think you can probably include Monty Python and the Holy Grail fairly safely

I might add Harry Potter to the list, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

This is all bearing in mind, of course, that there are so many different kinds of people here that there is absolutely no guarantee that everyone will get everything. I'm not sure there is a general hatrack consciousness.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Hatrack Consciousness
Member # 7141

- posted      Profile for General Hatrack Consciousness   Email General Hatrack Consciousness         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure there is. I'm right here.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Confession time-- I have never read Hitchhiker's Guide. [Eek!] I intend to rectify this soon. It is just too embarrassing when talking to another sci-fi enthusiast and they ask me what I thought of Hitchhiker's and I have to admit that I havn't read it.

I had never heard of Strong Bad either, but I'm good with most of the rest of the list. Harry Potter, LOTR, Dune, and of course almost all OSC's stuff!!!

Oh and I LOVED So I married and Ax Murderer.

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Some Azimov short stories
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Badgerbadgerbadger. The TIMECUBE. And general geek culture.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember the "I can smell your brains" kitty?

[ROFL] Classic!

EDIT: Here it is.

[ December 19, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: narrativium ]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Viking Kitty!

And you don't have to like all these things for them to be part of the general consciousness (I think badger badger badger is nuts). Many people who don't like Strong Bad know about him here.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Eye of Argon?

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
See, you guys are talking about a whole lot of things I have never heard of. *pouts* I AM A GEEK! I AM! I AM!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*patpat*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Noemon, but only the first you mentioned rings a bell.

However I DO know all the ones from Lady Dove and Tatiana
(yes! The Outlander series are great. And I have the funniest book in the world, it is called 'The Complete Works of Shakespeare and Monthy Python')

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ginette, you've never read anything by OSC?

Dagonee's right--you don't have to like something for it to be part of your general consciousness. I'm only mildly fond of StrongBad myself, but I generally catch and understand the references to it.

I wasn't familiar with badgerbadgerbadger until it was posted here recently. That's been a thing here? I don't remember seeing much about it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How about the Eye of Argon?

hell ya!

[ROFL]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

"Orignal Potry" is definitely one.
Noemon
Member # 1115

So, unfortunately, are Dobies.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Only Unfortunately because Dobie isn't writing tham anymore. Dobies are supposed to be funny, People. FUNNY!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
To be part of your "consciousness", do you have to have actually experienced the thing in question (read the book, seen the movie, whatever)? Or do you simply have to know it exists?

Because I know that, for example, LoTR and Harry Potter exist, but I've neither read their books nor seen their movies. Then again, I'd say just about everyone knows they exist. They're not exactly some esoteric geek thing anymore.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Hitchhiker's Guide - Check.
Princess Bride - Check.
So I Married an Axe Murderer - Never even heard of it.
OSC books - Check.
Calvin and Hobbes - Check.
StrongBad - Check.
Dark Tower series - Nope.
LOTR - Of course!
Song of Ice and Fire - I started it, but didn't get very far.
The Bible - I'm pretty familiar with the Old Testament. New Testament, not so much.
Neil Gaiman - I've read Good Omens...
Monty Python - Seen it, but am not a fan.
badgerbadgerbadger - Check.
Harry Potter - Check.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Things I've heard of but never experienced:
-Harry Potter
-Dune

Things I've experienced a small amount of:
-Lord of the Rings (read the first hundred pages of the first book; never seen any of the movies)
-The Bible

Things I have no idea what the heck you're talking about:
-"The Dark Tower Series"
-"Song of Ice and Fire" or "Song of Fire and Ice" or whatever the heck it is
-Neil Gaiman
-"Outlander"
-"Eye of Argon"

Hm. Guess I'm not a true Hatracker after all. . . .

Kama
Member # 3022

We've been trying to tell you that for a long time now [Razz]

[Wink]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

This is because I called your hotness into question that one time, isn't it? I swear I hadn't seen any pics yet! I was too new to know about Foobonic at the time! Once I saw the pics, I immediately recanted my Skeptical ways! What must I do to be forgiven and accepted, O Smokin' Hot Sexy One?
[Hail]

Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
What must I do to be forgiven and accepted, O Smokin' Hot Sexy One?

That will do. You are forgiven. I hereby declare you a Hatracker.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Yay! My existence has been validated by the Sexy One!
[The Wave]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dingle.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oeps! [Blushing]

Yes I did. Read something OSC has written. Sorry.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Thought you might have, ginette.

Mack, yeah, definitely "dingle". Man, that one still cracks me up when I thnk about it.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

What about onanism?
narrativium
Member # 3230

Verily, you are not going to turn this into a thread about onanism. *glare*
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Wasn't trying to, any more than mack was trying to turn it into a thread about dingles. A call was made to point out things that are a part of the general Hatrack consciousness, and the mention of dingles reminded me that onanism is another one. That's it. That's all.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here for a while and I still have no clue what dingles are.

I know what a dingle berry is. Does that count?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen the ax murderer movie before.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen part of it. If anyone wants to see the origins of Fat Bastard, look no further.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up to scratch on everything but "So I Married an Axe Murderer" (perhaps I'll track the script down and read it [Wink] ) and some of those super-lengthy serieses (Dark Tower, for example) which I just never got around to.

I am not a StrongBad fan although of course I could scarcely avoid being very familiar with all that.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not read Dark Tower either, but Strongbad sure is funny.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't think of anything else that's understood, but there's definitely been references to Strange Brew, Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite, They Might Be Giants and others that I've used and other people have readily recognized.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Two more: Last Post threads and the Wenches' Tavern.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrackers-The stuff of which legends are made:
TomDavidson
Papa Moose
Slash aka Lizardman
Ralphie
Bonduca
BobScopatz
Dobie
Leto
Thor
Kama (the computer program)
kacard
Rabbit
Baldar

More running jokes:
Haley Joel Osment to play Ender in the movie
Lizardman eats noobies

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm familiar with everybody on LadyDove's list but Bonduca. Who's that?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the music of Tom Lehrer? It's not a universal thing on Hatrack but it is definately a prescence.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
^--- Oh boy.

--

For the record, I post a spiritual descendant of Dobies, Bokies. See, I could never do the original justice, especially now that their quality has been romanticized, but at least I try to kep mine like the orginal post, but with a twist, rather than just changing the title!

And if Bokies aren't funny, well then, I think that says more about you than me.

Hrmph.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.