FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone willing to help me?

Author Topic: Anyone willing to help me?
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to submit two essays. One for an application, and another for a honors college application. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give them a once over for me. I have not finished either yet, but that is what the next 6 hours are for.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
6 hours?
Well... perhaps...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of hoping to go to bed in maybe ten minutes. I could look them over in nine hours or so, but if they're due before that I guess that isn't any help. Sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

They are due January 1st. I just want to finish them before my last day of school on Tuesday, so I don't have to worry about them.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
OK.
perhaps I could look at them tomorrow... maybe...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am using an essay from my english class for one of them so I only have one that needs to be looked at. I am about to send it to Twinky via e-mail. It doesn't sound like you have mush time to read it Synesthesia. If you would like to read it to I will send it, but I don't want you to feel obligated to look at it.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I will, as long as you send it to me soon...as in the next 5 min....

I am going to bed after that.

Send it to KweaSr@msn.com

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am still finishing the draft, but if you would want to look at it and give me suggestions on how to finish it, that would be great.
Kwea
Member # 2199

sure..
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I apologise in advance for the crappy writing. I am not an exellent writer when fully alert, and it only gets worse when I am exhausted.
Kwea
Member # 2199

. They do not rear their own children, because they believe it benefits them. They do what is best for their communities, not what they wish to do.

Who? The children, or the horses? [Big Grin]

It sounds like an interesting premise....it should make for a good essay.

In the second paragraph I would be a little more specific...perhaps list the total traits that you feel they are missing, and then use the following paragraphs to expand on them, in order. That is a good way of orginizing a short essay like this one.

Teachers like orginized essays.... [Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I am curious, so send it.
I am not sure what I will be doing tomorrow.
I want to go and see a movie, but instead I'll be home most of the day -_-.

Allegra
Member # 6773

Thank you. I was sort of stumbling in the dark with this one. I didn't know how to keep it short while saying anything of importance.
Allegra
Member # 6773

Ok. I am going to try to apply Kwea's suggestions, and then I will send it the Twinky and you.
Kwea
Member # 2199

This is what I tried to do in these situations...

Find a premise (you have done that)

Write an intro

In either the first paragraph, or the second (first is more proper) do a sum up of specific points

Each paragraph after discuss one of the points mentioned in the intro.

If you have enough space, you can use the second and third form the last paragraphs to concede points to the opposite side...in this case mention some GOOD things about their emotional detachment, but then counter with arguments against it. For example:

" The horses had a very orderly society, far more rational and safe than human society. However this very safety and emotional detachment made it very hard for them to experience life to it's fullest....."

Something like that.....

Then use the last paragraph to sum it up.

I got A's and strong B's on every essay I took the time to do this way.

Good luck!

Kwea

[ December 20, 2004, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Allegra
Member # 6773

Thank you Kwea, but this is not supposed to go beyond like 3 paragraphs. I am supposed to fit it on the form and I cannot fit much more than that. I usually do something similar to what you described, but I dont really have the room.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well....make the intro longer, stating what they have done and why you didn't like it.

Don't include any of the counter -argument sytle paragraphs.

Use related points...like one on emotional detachment, and then list all the reasons you dislike it in that paragraph.

Then another on not even raising their own families and on refusing to take risks.....

Short essays are ver subjective.

I am out...have a good night, and good luck. Let us know how you did, if that is OK.

Kwea

Allegra
Member # 6773

I have revised it, but it still needs work. I think looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow will help me. I am not to worried about getting into the honors college, but I still want to make sure I have a decent essay. I will post when ever I get my response.

Kwea. Thank you for all your help. [Kiss]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am not to worried about getting into the honors college
[Wink] Better watch out for that in your application!

What school?

P.S. -- Good luck. From my experience, honors college(s) often seem like a lot of extra work for little benefit, but I think a lot of what you can learn there can make you a better writer, a better thinker, or even a better person.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I noticed that as soon as i posted, but I thought people would overlook it at 4am.

I am going to school for music, so not all of the schools that I am applying to are awesome academically. Which is one of the bigger factors in me applying to honors colleges.

This application is for Valdosta State University. It is in Georgia. It is tiny, but there is a damn good bass teacher. I am also applying to IU and Butler University.

Allegra
Member # 6773

I think I have my essay where I want it. [Big Grin] It feels good to have it done. Thank you to Kwea, Twinky, and Synesthesia for looking at it. [Hail]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.