FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House of Leaves?

Author Topic: House of Leaves?
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious if anyone here had read the novel House of Leaves , by Mark Z. Danielewski? I was thumbing through it the other day at a Waldens and came close to buying it. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $20 for it unless I knew as a book it was worth it.

So, have you read it? If you did, what did you think?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I would point you to the Amazon.com reviews ... but I'm assuming you've already done that?

Or maybe you think we're better than the Amazon.com reviewers?

What if one of us IS an Amazon.com reviewer? Hmm?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it based on the recommendation of a Hatracker quite some time ago. I was a bit wary of the style (the parallel stories, extensive footnotes, upside down gobbledygook and what not), but I gave it a chance and was pleasantly surprised. It's one of the few books which has ever genuinely got me a bit freaked out. Originally I got it from the library, and I liked it enough to buy it after that.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so totally worth it. Mind-blowing book, that.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
House of Leaves is one of the *the* best books I have ever read.

It is amazingly conceived -- and truly terrifying without ever directly naming the fear.

Read!!!

(but don't buy it for $20 when you can find it cheaper on Amazon, etc. Strider got one new for $13.)

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth it. I was hooked and couldn't stop reading till I finished that book. I can't even tell you the number of hours I spent re-reading passages and flipping back and forth trying to put things together.

That book, more than any other, pops into my head on random occasions. It Haunts you! j/k, it's awesome. Buy it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer, Kaioshin, I do value the opinion of fellow Hatrackers over the opinion of those on Amazon.com. I would much prefer the opinion of people who have proven themselves overall to be intelligent, well-read people than to random people I know nothing about. If Hatrackers happen to post reviews on Amazon.com, fine. I'll assume that the people reading their reviews are just unfortunate people who have not discovered the wonders of Hatrack.

By the way, thank you for the reviews so far. In general, I believe that you've convinced me to read the book. I, too, was somewhat worried of the readability when I peered into the book in a moment that it was just listing quotes on the pages...nothing but quotes, or so it seemed. However, it helps that other Hatrackers have read it due to the opinions of more Hatrackers and did, indeed, enjoy it.

Leonide, thank you for the tip, I'll definitely take it. I kind of frowned a bit at that kind of cost for a paperback book.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
House of Leaves is one of a handful of books that I freely recommend to intelligent and unusual people who may or may not like science fiction or fantasy.

Also on that list are Ender's Game, Good Omens, The Pleasure of My Company, Illusions, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and The Cartoon History of the Universe, Volume One.

[ December 20, 2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, House of Leaves rocked. I recommend it without reservation.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, admit it. Who else here decoded the letters and wrote the solutions in the margins?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
not in the margins, but I have a notebook filled with stuff. I not only decoded as many letters as I could, but I began a compilation of story elements. Dates, events, objects, names, thematic elements, seemingly nonsensical or out of place lines, etc...for use in comparing the different narratives and figuring out what is actually going on.

There are also other secret codes throughout the main part of the book, as well as the SOS message in the SOS chapter.

Also, the Appendices are just riddled with hidden stuff as well.* But what I love about this book is that you don't need to get into all that stuff to enjoy it. I think just the Navidson Record is a great story in its own right.

*Yes, I was a little obsessed with this book.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, interesting. I want to read this book now.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.