FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » J.K. Rowling completes 6th Potter novel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: J.K. Rowling completes 6th Potter novel
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
J.K. Rowling completes 6th Potter novel

Harry Potter readers, here's an extra special holiday gift: J.K. Rowling announced Monday that she has completed the sixth Potter novel, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

"I know you all expected this to happen on Christmas Day, but I was sure that those of you who celebrate Christmas have better things to do on the day itself than fight your way into my study, whereas those of you who DON'T celebrate Christmas would definitely prefer not to wait until the 25th," the British author wrote in a message posted on her Web site.

Rowling noted that while she is pregnant with her third child, she has had the time "needed to tinker with the manuscript to my satisfaction and I am as happy as I have ever been with the end result. I only hope you feel it was worth the wait when you finally read it."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

[The Wave]

EDIT: More coherantly; this is very exciting news. Does this mean we get a release date, too? [Smile]

EDIT #2: I guess so! Thanks Skillery.

[ December 20, 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scholastic Inc., said a release date would be announced Tuesday morning.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! [The Wave]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
yayay!!

but:
quote:
Rowling has said that one of her characters will not survive her sixth book, but she refused to identify that character.
!
who?!

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my suspicions...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Can I hope it will be out by March? ( both Matthew and Neighbor Boy have March Birthdays)
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it must come out TOMORROW!
But, March would be nice too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris -- what are your thoughts?

*loves speculation*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore dies.

He duels Voldemort. When he notices Harry watching, he lowers his wand and lets Voldemort have a clean shot at him. Before the spell lands, Dumbledore disappears, his cloak wafting gently to the ground. Voldemort steps on the cloak several times as Harry yells, "Beeeeeeen! I mean, Professor Dumbledore!"

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry dies.

Just to throw y'all off your groove.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Harry dies at the end of book seven...
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Actually I do think it'll be Dumbledore. Things have been getting worse and worse for Harry, and losing the only person who has successfully fought off Voldemort (and the only person who has always supported Harry no matter what) should leave Harry at the end of the 6th book very lonely, very outgunned, and near the edge of despair. Perfect lead to the last book...
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that losing Dumbledore would successfully eliminate all strong parental-type figures from Harry's life, making it inevitable that he will perish after successfully destroying Voldemort and his followers...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore is a character I don't ever want to see die. Therefore he will die. Probably of a heart attack, just to throw everyone off.

Runner up: After that scare in the last book, McGonagall will be the one to die.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think J. K. Rowling will die, and there will be no 7th book. The entire sixth book will be about Voldemort going to destroy J.K. so that she can't make Harry win. [Wink]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
ouaiiiiii !! super méga génial bonne nouvelle !!!

Excuse me. As OSC wrote in the speaker of dead, Emotion are spoken in our native language.

But to read it in french, i must wait a year again... I buy it in english ! it's a hard challenge, but i can realize it !

In my opinion, it's Hagrid who may die. He is the real martyr in this story...

[ December 21, 2004, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hermione. Definitely Hermione. She dies from an overdose of hairspray she uses to keep her unruly locks at bay. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think J. K. Rowling will die, and there will be no 7th book. The entire sixth book will be about Voldemort going to destroy J.K. so that she can't make Harry win.
Thank you for making me laugh out loud at 4:45 in the morning. I really needed that [Smile]

I was so excited when my roommate told me it was going to be announced. I was grinning, then I went back to the party at my friend's, and spread the joy. I had a room full of happy happy people. It was fun.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
OH my gosh... this has made my day!!!!!! Yet somehow I don't think my coworkers will understand my excitement. [Grumble]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luth
Member # 7152

- posted      Profile for luth   Email luth         Edit/Delete Post 
The sixth Harry Potter book will hit the shops on 16 July next year, it has been announced.

BBC News

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yay!!!!! [The Wave]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*marks off July 16 on the calendar*

If it's as long as OOP, I'll mark off part of the 17th, too.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Chris I was sure you'd just posted your column a day early and was pulling my leg.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the fourth book, and one of the characters wanted Hogwarts to loose to prove that "Dumbledore is only human."

Is it possible that Dumbledore is the half blood prince?

I am sure it was just a figure of speech, but for some reason, it stuck out as significant like only things can at 2:00am.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh date yucky yucky date. Well maybe not, but possibly. It's either the night of the 4-H cat show, or the night that fair starts (cats are a week before fair). If it's the night fair starts I can totallly see myself having my friends pick up the ticket at borders, running over there at 11, reading all night, and being ready for the dog show at noon, putting curlers in my hair, and doing the queen contest. But I'm excited. And I also agree it'll probably be Dumbledore, deffinatly someone in the order.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!

OK, new Harry Potter book, check... new Outlander book, check... now just waiting to hear about a new GRRM book [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really hope it's not Dumbledore. After OotP, he's my favorite character.

Ugh. I'll be at Governor's Honor's Program on the release date. Maybe I can get some of my friends to visit and bring it with.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It's a friday! If I work I'll be able to read it anyway! [Big Grin] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Already placed my order...
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Go through Hatrack's Amazon link and OSC will get a cut (miniscule, probably, but what can you do?).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Really, Noemon? How big (or small) is "minuscule"?
Noemon
Member # 1115

"Miniscule" is an acceptable variant of "minuscule", I'll have you know!

I'm not sure how much he gets from click-throughs that result in a purchase, honestly, so I'm going to have to go with "some".

[Edit--anybody else have a more concrete figure? I can't imagine that it's much.]

[ December 21, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh, Noemon, I wasn't correcting the miniscule/minuscule thing, I honestly didn't notice! The word was in quotations because it was the word you used! [Smile]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make 5-10.5% on the amazon links, according to their affiliate site.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah--thought you were pointing out to me the error of my ways. [Smile] And actually, when I saw your spelling I thought that mine was wrong until I looked it up.

So, OSC only gets $.70 for each copy of one of his books that sells, but gets more or less the same amount when someone buys an averaged price paperback through the amazon link on the site? That seems odd.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It better not be Lupin.
I won't forgive her if it's Lupin. He's my favourite!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh damn, i still have to read the fifth one.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt she'd mention if it, if it was Lupin. He's not in the mainstream enough.

I think it could be Dumbledore. But I also have this weird feeling it could be Hagrid. Which doesn't make any sense...it's just a feeling.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Half-Blood Prince is already #1 sales ranked on Amazon (pre orders)

I've said it before and I said it again, Neville Longbottom is going to move into a more-critical role - if not THE most critical role aside from Harry.

GO NEVILLE!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, please not Dunbledore!!!
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: most of this post is a bit off topic, but fear not, I return to the topic near the end.

Saith Noemon:
quote:
So, OSC only gets $.70 for each copy of one of his books that sells, but gets more or less the same amount when someone buys an averaged price paperback through the amazon link on the site? That seems odd.
I'd like to take this moment to clear up a misconception. The $.70 figure comes from a post of mine. I'm neither OSC nor his agent, so I cannot speak with authority on what royalties he receives. I can only speak from my experience. For those who don't know the story, I was at a signing and talked a lady into buying a paperback copy of Ender's Game for her grandson. In a lighthearted gesture, OSC then gave me $.35, which he said was half his royalty on a paperback copy of Ender's Game, as a sort of "commission" for helping sell his book. He gave the lady who bought it the other half, kind of like an instant rebate coupon. The point is, I don't know if 70 cents is actually the royalty he gets for that book. It was 10% of the cover price, so maybe he was just doing easy math. As for the Amazon kickback, it comes directly from the Amazon folks (not from the publisher) as a way of saying thanks for advertising our store through your website, but it ain't much.

As promised, I'm now ging back to the topic at hand. Dumbledore dying makes sense. It seems like a "change of the guard" is taking place in the wizard world, and Dumbledore is definitely part of the Old Guard. Can't wait till June to find out!

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

My sister think the victim may be Persil, the Ron's brother. She args he was in a particularly bad position in the last book.
So,
case 1 : He may be kill to defend his familly with the will to break his shame,
case 2 : He was definitivelly turn on the bad side because he is too weak. But when Voldemort will never have the need, he will kill him to destroy the Harry's clan's moral. (the Whisley particularly)

Just for the Hatrack members who don't speak french : Voldemort in french his the link of "Vol" "de" and "Mort" : "Steal Of Dead" or "Steal of Death". I don't know what the translation is the good. Maybe, the twice, because he kill many people, and he "steal" his life to the Death (like Rincevant in the first book of Disk world).

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Something I was just thinking about - the book is slated to be released July 16. Last time it was released the same weekend as the movie The Hulk, and actually made more money than the movie did according to this story. Whil The Hulk certainly had its problems, I wonder if any of its poor showing can be attributed to everyone staying home and reading Harry?

Next year Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens the day before, on the 15th. Just wondering if this will hurt its chances...

Choobak
Member # 7083

Hey !! But July 16th is my birthday !!!
I didn't notice it. Wow ! I know what i'll get for this. [Evil]

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, you're a Pratchet/Discworld fan? High-five! I thought most of them hadn't been published in French yet, actually.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Most are translated but i don't know the exact number of books T. Pratchett published. So, we have 25 books in french of disc world. The last translated is the 25th tome "the fifth elephant" (i hope it's the good title).
And yes I love his funny style !!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Whil The Hulk certainly had its problems, I wonder if any of its poor showing can be attributed to everyone staying home and reading Harry?
That's interesting. A movie like the Hulk, which did not really meet expectations, is more dependent on first-week gross than "sleepers" like Sixth Sense or Titanic. So it's very possible. I know I didn't do anything the weekend the book came out except read it. I did go see the Hulk that week, but might not have if I had talked to enough people about it before seeing it.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Since The Fifth Elephant, I believe we've seen the following books released:

The Truth
The Last Hero
The Thief of Time
Going Postal
Wee Free Men
Hat Full of Sky

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.