FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » J.K. Rowling completes 6th Potter novel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: J.K. Rowling completes 6th Potter novel
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
The last hero was translated too. It's the number 24, i think. Here is a list a little old of the translated books. Add the fifth elephant to complete the current list.
But I am still at the beginning ! and i read slowly, before sleeping.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord, Choobak! Your French translators sure know how to suck the joy out of book titles, don't they?

I mean, Interesting Times turns into The tribulations of a magician in the Orient.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

The french translator is the same than Ender's game and Mr Card appreciate it as that's wrote on this Mrs Card's Post. But i may be in wrong ?

However, that's a common fact translation are very different. Exemple : National treasure became Benjamin Gates et le trésor des templiers (BG and the templars' treasure)

But it's a wrong exemple because i think productors don't want to seem too arrogant for french people. [ROFL]

So for Ender's game the translation is La stratégie Ender, and for the Ender's Shadow, La stratégie de l'ombre.

What is in the head of publishers/produtors to change title at this point ? I don't know. Somebody can explain me ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game is a brilliant title because it works on two levels.

SPOILERS (You never know. There could be someone here who hasn't read it.)
The first meaning is literal Ender is playing a game. The second meaning foreshadows the finale. He ends the war, and Formic existence, with his game.

End spoilers.

So if the word "end" were different in French, the title wouldn't be nearly as interesting. I'm also curious if "stratégie" would be the same as strategy, a plan, or if the game is implied in the word.

Strategy in English is a serious word. Game is child like and innocent. Important differnce.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something I was just thinking about - the book is slated to be released July 16. Last time it was released the same weekend as the movie The Hulk, and actually made more money than the movie did according to this story. Whil The Hulk certainly had its problems, I wonder if any of its poor showing can be attributed to everyone staying home and reading Harry?
Heh, that's funny. I was in line for Hulk when I saw a paper printout announcing Waldenbooks was open at midnight that convinced me to buy OotP on opening day.

Anyway....

Excitement! Whee!

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Stratégie in french is as serious as strategy in english. And I know it perticularly because of my job, and more, my passion of chess. I appreciate the original title, and i don't understand why the translation about title is so changed.
Maybe, it's the idea that for French war are not a game but a serious thing... [Dont Know] The french title let hear it's the final strategy...

I don't know. But who have decided the translation ? If it's Mr Card, he may have an explanation and we have nothing to say about his decision.

[ December 23, 2004, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.