FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Ender Series

Author Topic: The Ender Series
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I simply loved Ender's Game, is the rest of the series worth reading though? I'v heard speaker for the dead was good, but the rest weren't up to par, comments?

And what news on the film?

RTF

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

EDIT: It's always been my ambition to make one word posts.

Yes, they are worth reading. Perhaps not as utterly splendiferous as Ender's Game but they are definately very good.

No news on the movie.

[ December 21, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you want to know what Ender does in his later years?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible books. Read them. While the last two are apparently too "talky" and philosophical for some people's tastes (I hear), I found them fascinating, every one of them. Don't miss out.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read Speaker, Xenocide, and Children twice to be able to like them. On the first reading, I kept expecting for the old, ruthless Ender to show up-- he never does, really.

Once I reset my expectations (on second read), I found I enjoyed the books MUCH more than Ender's Game.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker was quite incredible. Xenocide took me about 2 years to finally finish (I just couldn't get through it on the first attempt, too much explanation...But I got over that). I haven't read Children of the Mind yet.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "RTF" at the end of your post, and I thought that's probably what Scooby Doo types on line to express astonishment/disbelief.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Enders shawdow is my favorite. NOw read it Brain Child...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker for the Dead is the best. [Cool]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading "Speaker" right now, for the umpteenth time. It has a special place in my heart for adding the word "libidinous" to my vocabulary.

I also got stuck on "Xenocide" at first but grew to love it.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Pops: [ROFL]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I so love that series, but I do not like the Bean series as much for some reason...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker for the Dead is, simply put, the best book in the series. If you don't like it, you are, IMO, officially varelse. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the whole series at my local bookstore. The whole series that is, except for Ender's Game. So I told them I would wait and come back later.
I was greatly disappointed. [Frown]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.