FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We are getting a white Christmas

Author Topic: We are getting a white Christmas
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
As I write, it is snowing outside. We are supposed to have 4" by nightfall and another 7" or more by morning.

I love snow.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You can keep it.

Have ours, even.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The world is covered in snow here. Just a light blanket, but I have high hopes for later.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 8 now (almost noon) and are supposed to have 8-13 by midnight, I wish it would just stop and the roads would clear.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The weathermen here in Tally aren't sure if we will. Some of them say we could have flurries, others say no way. The Weather Channel told me it would only get into the upper 30s for Christmas. We'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe if I put the fan out and point it north...

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I look at the weather channel, and I see snow today (3 to 4 inches), then rain, then snow, snow, snow. Yay.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
*Looks at forecast, sees unseasonably cool high of 57 on Christmas, and continues holding onto futile hope for snow*

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in a bizarre twist of nature seldom seen before, those of us at southernmost tip of Texas may actually have a white Christmas Eve, as the temperature is supposed to hover around 32 degrees all day Friday and drop into the 20s that night, with light precipitation that will either be sleet or mushy snow. My children, who've never seen snow, are making offerings to Zeus as I type this...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Us too! I have no idea how much we actually have already - probably at least 5 inches with much more expected to fall. The county 5 minutes away is under a state of emergency, so we probably will be as well at some point. Yay!!! Hubby tried to go into work this morning, but after taking 20 minutes to go 1 and 1/2 miles he came back home. At this rate I'll be surprised if we'll be able to get before Christmas.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Well we have between 4-5" and they are letting us go home early. Work will be cancelled if they declare a Level 3 Snow Emergency.

I will probably be off with in the next 1/2 hour.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got flurries today and tomorrow morning, but the forecast looks bone-dry for Christmas. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate snow. So cold..

*brr*

Fortunately we don't get much down here. Occasionally we'll get enough for people to play in (and to make automobile travel scary[er]), but typically its just a few little pockets of snow in the gutters and stuff.

Which is what we have now.

But its so cold...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! We're currently at about 15 inches, according to our friendly neighbor who showed up with his tractor to plow our driveway <----- how nice is that? Now the news is saying that we could get possibly up to 24 inches.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna miss the snow this year. [Grumble]

My parents woke up the other morning to an "unbearable heat wave" of 1 degree with a 20 degree wind chill. My only comment (we were talking on the phone) was that I had a slightly chilly evening.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone can bite me.

I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, Stan the man...

I have good friends in Idaho and New Mexico who are always telling me how cold it is/how much snow they're getting/how many snow days they've had from school...

What do you say to that? If you say, "bummer, but I can't talk now, we're on our way to the beach" you're just rubbing it in, you know?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Annoying thing is that it's snowing in New Mexico now, but when I go up next week the forecast is mild and sunny. Barf.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got off work early because of the weather, and the drive, which normally takes 10 minutes, took a full hour. I didn't mind though--it's snowing! I love snow! When I got home I shoveled my sidewalks, my steps, and my tenants' steps. One of my tenants seemed impressed with my dilligence, so I didn't tell her that I was having a blast. I love being out in the snow, especially when it isn't terribly cold.

Of course, I'm sure that all the work I did has been covered over by the snow has fallen since, but that's okay--just means I get to go out and play in the snow again tomorrow.

Of course, by late January I'll be completely sick of it, but for now it's a lot of fun.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun with your snow. I'm thinking . . . maybe I'll go for a swim in the Indian Ocean this morning? That sounds like a great idea. Snorkelling, or perhaps scuba diving among the reefs. Yep, that'd be fun. . . But yeah, you enjoy your snow. [ROFL]

See? I have no such reservations about rubbing it in. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting upwards to 30 cm (around 12 inches) and a healthy smattering of freezing rain. This has, of course, shut down all flights out of Pearson and the flight that I scored at the last minute has been cancelled meaning I'm *still* not home and I don't know when I'm going to be able to get home.

*sigh*

Guess I'll go back to the lab. Lord knows that never closes.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Looks like our final snowfall total is about 24 inches. [Smile]

space opera

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, if I went out this afternoon, I could have a tan by two. Oh, as long as it doesn't rain, and given the dark clouds over that way, I think we could have monsoon this afternoon.

Nah, I refuse to go there. It's sunny, it's warm. Maybe I'll go lie on a beach and tan. If I were near Hikkaduwa, I could go surfing. Never done that before. *ducks and runs*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
No snow here. Blahhh
My friend in Ohio is getting quite a bit.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Very slight chance of snow down here in Houston. Even if it's not, it's still cold, which is rare enough.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
17 inches in Bloomington IN now.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I live in Ohio. We had between 15-22 inches depending where in the area you were. I am located in Dayton, Ohio, just north of Cincy.

I shoveled three times last night and again this afternoon. The driveway and the sidewalk are all clean and I am ready to finish the shopping tomorrow.

msquared

quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's currently partly cloudy at 28 degrees Celsius. That would be, what, 80 or 82 in Fahrenheit?

See, Firefox has a neato extension that allows weather updates on the bottom bar, and I love knowing how warm it is in actuality.

Plus I love rubbing it in. Yep, I love living in the tropics!

Except for the bugs. And the geckos. And the dogs poking into all the garbage. And the cats that eat my Oberon's food. And. . . Oh, forget the whining! I love the tropics! [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

And it's now 30 Celsius. Nyah! [Laugh]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

quid, did you notice that most of us posting are happy about our snow? I'm not sure how effective your "rubbing it in" has been. [Wink]

space opera

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh. I hate the heat. I'd much rather have to cuddle under a ton of blankets in the -10 degree cold than deal with the heat. If it's cold, you can bundle up, but you can't escape the heat.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Damn.
quote:
quid, did you notice that most of us posting are happy about our snow? I'm not sure how effective your "rubbing it in" has been. [Wink]
My life is over. [Frown]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I had negligible accumulation from the storms that blew through the Midwest earlier this week... but it's snowing now and the kids are anxiously awaiting permission to bundle up and play. =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
A few inches on the ground with big, puffy flakes still coming down. Something Schubert all warm and instrumental on the radio, fresh birdseed and squirrel food outside, and for us, in the blender:

frozen peaches
frozen strawberries
bannana
vanilla yogurt
eggnog
extra nutmeg

Christmas smoothies! [Smile]

[ December 25, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
We are having Christmas snow! It's been years and years since I've woken up on Christmas morning to see snow falling. It's beautiful. And still coming down!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

(hugs and smoothies to you both)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it great, Vana? =) I'm used to the ground being white but not to actual precipitation when I wake up Christmas morning. And I've lived here in the Chicago burbs all my life.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I get for living miles from a large, albeit boring body of water.

<shakes fist at gods of lake-effect weather>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
How funny is it that here in the frozen north we got our first substantial snow of the year four days ago and we have maybe three inches accumulated out there? We just barely got a white Christmas, while the gulf coast is rolling in a foot of snow.

Merry Christmas, el Niño!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
The snow was still around by midnight on Christmas Eve, so I guess that counts for a white Christmas here in Houston.

Not a foot, though. Like, an inch or so.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a white Christmas here in New Orleans, for the first time since 1989! I was mildly upset about leaving Baton Rouge for Christmas, but now I'm glad I'm in NO - we're having snowball fights while BR is still quite dry! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.