FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stuffed Diseases

Author Topic: Stuffed Diseases
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Miss Tiggywinkles, which is for those of you who do not know a toy shop, and I came across these, giant microbes. Basically, stuffed toys of various maladies, mites and diseases. They are kind of cute.

But although most of them are things like "common cold" or "cough" others are grusome. Would you want an "Ebola" toy, or "Black Death" to cuddle up to at night?!

Or how about the giant dust mite?

Of course, I immediately thought of Hatrack. I was amused, and somewhat repulsed, but mostly intrigued. What an idea!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
awww! they're so cute! I want a martian life one!
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an ebola toy for my SO when I was at CDC last month. He thought it was hilarious, and took it to work and everyone there loved it so much a lot of them went to the website and bought their own... but we work in public health so we probably don't count.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute, but kinda sick...
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Narnia! I'm torn between "how cute!" and "OMG, that is so WRONG!"
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, these are pretty cool, aren't they? I love it when people come up with something interesting and unexpected.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
THOSE ARE SO CUTE! I totally want one! I totally love Bookworm and the Common cold.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are cute. I want the Black Death! I'd love to see the faces of my coworkers if I brought one in and put it on my desk. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My college roommate and I wanted to get some for our pre-med friend, but that never panned out . . . Mostly we just wanted to be able to say that Rachel got mono from us.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Another idea I should have followed through on...
[Wall Bash]
I have hand-embroidered paramecium, and one-celled animals and parasites. Never figured anyone would want to actually buy one.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
The fork and spoon on the flesh-eater is a nice touch.

[edit: Knife. Fork and knife. Never could keep those straight.]

[ December 23, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
They're really cute. I think I posted them in the hatrack gift idea thread last year. I have Epstein-Barr virus (kissing disease). One friend of mine has almost all of them.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU GUYS ARE ALL JUST SO. . . SO . . . SICK!!!!!

And I love it! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I'm thinking about buying the Ebola one for my friend. She used to have an obsession about it in high school.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just imagine how many dust mites you'd have living in your dust mite.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a tasty thought.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have one of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how they put eyes on them. "Mommy the ebola is watching me!"
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some friends that I should send the "martian life" and "beer and bread" to...

I love how when you click on the individual ones they include a slide of the actual microbe!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sleeping Sickness one is my favorite. So adorable! And purple! hee!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the coolest!

One of our friends from church is also our podiatrist, he has removed ingrown toenails, and treated broken toes and a stress fracture for my family. I think he would love having a stuffed Athlete's foot for his office. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the kissing disease one. In elementary school they tell you not to share drinks and stuff, but they forget when you are a senior in high school oops.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I own a common cold stuffed microbe. It's so cute, yet so geeky!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh.

The ebola one looks like a Vermicious Knid!

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee, you're right!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I use to work at USAMRIID, and I would bet serious money after hearing about these that half the researchers there have them in their offices.

One of the Docs had EBOLA as a license plate, and I believe the Jaxs' (they were the doctors involved with the Reston Monkey Virus scare chronicled in The Hot Zone) had HANTANA as their plates too, although it may have been someone else, not them.

Biologists are weird.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my Sammy Salmonella for years.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had known about this sooner. I would have loved to have seen the look on my sister's face if I had given her a "Flesh Eating" microbe. [Grumble]
Oh well, there's always next year.

Although, HIV is not funny. [No No]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.