FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Napoleon Dynamite's Top Ten Signs You're Not the Most Popular Guy in Your High School

Author Topic: Napoleon Dynamite's Top Ten Signs You're Not the Most Popular Guy in Your High School
John Ellis
Member # 7132

- posted      Profile for John Ellis           Edit/Delete Post 
As presented by Napoleon himself on last night's "David Letterman". [Smile]

10. Your yearbook photo caption reads, "Unidentified Sophmore".

9. Your only friend is the one you built in shop class.

8. School song includes phrase about how much you suck.

7. Everytime you talk to a girl, the conversation inevitably drifts to your frequent nosebleeds.

6. The stupid kid who gets his tater tots stolen every day? He steals your tater tots.

5. Everyone's jealous of your tetherball skills.

4. Not only did you take your mom to the prom, you had to pay her 20 bucks.

3. You can't dance like this. (Here Napoleon danced for five seconds like he did at the climax of the film.)

2. "Lord of the Rings" figurines-50, friends-0.

1. "How would I know? I'm the coolest kid in school. Gosh!"

[ December 22, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: John Ellis ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
0) You watch David Letterman
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Ellis
Member # 7132

I take it posting this was a mistake?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all.

I answered 8 out of ten in the affirmative.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

No, I was just making a joke.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

My friend Book was on that show two weeks ago...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, John. You are just in very green newbie status and fair game for random snarkiness that is not personal in any way.

So, I have to agree with MEC that Letterman has seen better days, and sadly, I have not seen the film, so I can't truly appreciate the humor of the top 10 list.

But welcome to Hatrack nonetheless! [Smile]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Ellis
Member # 7132

People being snarky at random for no reason other than I'm new...not because of anything really to do with me.

Somehow, that doesn't make sticking around here beyond my "newbie" period sound very attractive. Nor does it really make the snarkiness understandable.

Making a joke that not so subtly insults a thread-starter is _much_ different from saying "I think the Letterman show has seen better days".

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you hear that? What's that sound? Ah yes, it's the world's saddest song, played on the world's tiniest violin.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think MEC's comment was snarky because you're new, man. I think it was more commentary about David Letterman than your thread.

That said, Welcome! [Smile]

Be less defensive.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Tetherball players are the stuff.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonfoss
Member # 7155

- posted      Profile for dragonfoss   Email dragonfoss         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, tetherball is the bomb! [Big Grin]

Here's to being a newb [Hat]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
hi, john [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
it's usually a good idea to just shrug off anything that rubs you the wrong way.
usually no offense is intended, or occasionally intelligence and creativity weren't a priority.

hey, did you know they are already soliciting ultimate iron man? that means it should be coming out really soon!

and welcome, of course. ha.
let me know if someone's a jerk. i'll probably know where they live, and they'll soon have a problem with sentient produce...

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*fears the thinking lettuce... [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] *
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking lettuce? Now that could make an interesting story idea . . . Better than The Blob . . .

Welcome, um, newbie guy person dude. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, John! We love new people! I hope you enjoy the place and decide to stick around a while!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I would expect someone who posts a joke thread to recognise a joke when he sees one.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
John, are you porce's brother, per chance?

Please forgive the silliness! It wasn't meant to be hostile. It's just not always apparent, when trying to be funny, that something one says might come off as sounding sort of snarky, too, especially to a newcomer.

Newbies ARE welcome here. Most of our most prolific contributors to the board were once newbies (if you can believe it). (I, of course, was never a newbie.)

[ December 23, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya John! Welcome to hatrack!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, Book from Smirkus was on Letterman? How'd he manage that?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another example of Hatrack being the nicest place on earth. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather spend time here than clean my house.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I'm sorry, I didn't mean the "you" to be directed towards you. I just don't find Letterman very funny.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I had no idea who this guy was, so I looked him up. It didn't help. However, I thought the screenwriter looked familiar, but when I clicked on his name, I didn't recognize any of the films, but noticed he went to BYU.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dragon, Book from Smirkus was on Letterman? How'd he manage that?
Good question. He did though... it was really cool. He juggled, handcuffed, behind his back.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John! [Wave] Don't worry, the people here are really nice. They have to be, to tolerate me! [Big Grin]

Welcome!

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Consider yourself lucky. On my first post, someone flipped me off. [Angst]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got it easy.

*reminisces about the days of head eating*

Welcome to the rack...

[ December 23, 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.