FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Horrible and Tragic News

Author Topic: Horrible and Tragic News
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you might remember that Tony and I welcomed a puppy into our family three months ago - Callie, a beautiful ridgeback/alsation/who knows what else cross.

Yesterday afternoon we made the colossally stupid mistake of leaving her in the front yard for 30 seconds with the front gates open. We had become complacent - she had never ran for the gates, or even set foot outside them without one of us accompanying her. Twice when she got around the front without our knowledge she simply settled down on the front porch and patiently waited to be let back in.

This time, she ran out the front onto the road. I don't know why - I suspect she saw another dog and wanted to go play.

She was hit by a car travelling along the road - while they were speeding a little they would have had no way of seeing her, or avoiding her, until it was too late.

She was still conscious but in a very bad way. We rushed her to the vets, where she was put on fluids, oxygen and steroids but her condition worsened. She had internal bleeding in her lungs and severe head injuries.

We had to have her put down - she was in too much pain and would not have made it through the night.

Callie was the first dog I owned and I (and Tony) loved her to distraction.

The house is very quiet this morning.

[Frown]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only lived with my puppy for a total of about two months, if that. I can't imagine what I would do if something happened to her. [Frown]

(((imogen and Tony)))

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, imogen... (((((((imogen&Tony)))))))

I'm so sorry to hear that. It sucks to lose a pet in any way, and she was so young. You have my condolances.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I'm so sorry, imogen! (((((Imogen & Tony)))))

Dogs seem to have a fascination with traffic. I remember when the neighbors' dog (who I adored) managed to squeeze out the fence and got killed by a car. [Frown]

*hugHUGhug*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Huge huge hugs to you both. Our dog Licorice was hit and killed in August, so I do know a bit of what you're feeling. I'm so sorry for your loss. [Frown] If there's anything I can do or you just want to talk let me know.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
No words.

(((imogen)))

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, imogen, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you, for what it's worth.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm sorry, imogen.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen)))

We got our little dog Lucky (9lb Shihtzu), instead of having a child (had one anyway a year later), so she's very much one of our kids. She's a wanderer, and it's a wonder that she's never been hit. She's escaped us a few times, and every time it takes at least a year or so off my life.

I'm so sorry you've lost your furbaby. That's heartbreaking.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had two dogs in my life, and when the slightest bad thing happens(ed) to either one, I fall/fell apart.

I've always marvelled at people who can let their dogs off the leash and the dog stays with them. I know it's possible to train a dog to do that and stay safely in its yard or right next to the owner at all times, but I've never been able to manage it.

My current dog is an escape artist. She likes to get out and just run away. She'll come back if and when she wants to.

I'm so afraid that this will happen to her. And I die a little every time she gets loose.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can open your home to another pet.

[Cry]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Losing a beloved pet is really hard, especially when it is so abrupt. I am so sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry imogen.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
((((imogen))) I'm so sorry to hear that.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I'm very, very sorry.

I adopted a puppy once that had coccidiosis (parasitic disease) unknown to us - she died in my arms from dehydration after I stayed up all night trying to get her to take fluids. Vet said there was nothing he could have done differently.

It's a terrible, terrible feeling. My heart goes out to you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen)))
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat was hit by a car. And the people who hit him didn't even stop. In fact, he had been lying there for quite a while before anyone stopped and looked to call some one. We had to have him put to sleep. He kept meowing and I just kept petting him, going "good boy, good boy" until it blended into "goodbye, goodbye" and I couldn't see through my tears.

Losing a pet sucks. All my love, all my prayers.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear that.

[Cry]

I have three dogs. Just thinking of losing one of them is too much.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so, so sorry. I was devastated everytime I lost a pet. It's always very hard. (((imogen & Tony)))
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*sad*

((((imogen and Tony))))

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Imogen! I am so, so sorry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very, very sorry guys. [Frown]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen & Tony)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I am so very sorry.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. [Frown]

*hug*

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] *Hugs*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my God. [Frown] (((((imogen and Tony)))))
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I'm sorry for your loss. [Cry]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm so sorry, Imogen.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<<<imogen and tony>>>>>>>>>>>

I am so sorry.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone. Your thoughts mean a lot to me.

Today has been very strange. I've been running around getting ready for Christmas lunch (at our house this year) and have about 100 things on my mind. But there's just this ache that doesn't leave, no matter what I'm doing.

She was conscious at the end, which was bad given she was in so much pain, but she knew we were there. We kept reassuring her and stroking her and the last thing she saw was Tony telling her what a good girl she was. I'm glad we got to say goodbye, at least.

There are so many memories around our house - we've only been in here 4 months, and for 3 of those we had Callie. I think when the initial raw pain wears off, it will be nice to have those memories though.

Right now, I'll just resign myself to crying at stupid things like half-chewed thongs.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Imogen)))))
I'm so sorry... [Frown] [Group Hug]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add my thanks to Imogen's.

I don't post all that much any more, but I lurk a lot, and Min and I often have 'hatrack' conversations, so I probably feel like I know a lot of you better than you know me.

It's lovely to know that people are thinking of us. helps deal with the sudden and unexpected hole in our lives.

So thank you all.

tony

[ December 23, 2004, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((imogen & tony)))))

I am so sorry for you!

I only have to cross the dike to let our dogs play in the meadow. There are not many cars, so one day I wasn't careful and thought I could go out with the dogs unlined. They jumped around me and suddenly crossed the dike. The car could barely stop in time, but it did so without hitting the dogs. The man in the car wiped the sweat from his forehead. He said "I'll never drive too fast anymore on this dike" . That was very nice of him to say, but of course it was all my fault.

I was SO lucky. Now I never, ever cross the dike anymore without lining the dogs first.

I can so imagine how you must feel. I am crying for you. I feel kind of ashamed that I was lucky and you weren't. It's not fair.

[Frown]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh imogen! (((((IMOGEN)))))

I am so sorry. That is so terrible.....

((extra hug))

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, you're right - those memories you have will be nice once the pain lessens a bit.

I know exactly what you mean about crying over toys. When we lost Licorice we didn't pick up any of his toys or bones until we brought our new dog Max home. Even though we're still very sad, there are a lot of times when one of us will remember some crazy thing Licorice did and we all start laughing. We're to the point where we are just grateful we had him, even if it ended in a terribly sad way. I hope this happens for you and Tony as well.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, imogen, I'm so so sorry for you and Tony. That's a part of your heart that will never get filled up again. [Frown]

I still miss my Minx, who died this past summer, just terribly. Only this week have I been able to share sweet memories with David and laugh without a few tears, too.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen)))

Dogs sometimes apply their herding instincts to vehicles. My husband had a friend whose heeler would chase the car, nipping at the tires (between the gate and the top of the driveway). The dog was never hurt, but I wonder if something like that was going through her mind. Their doggy instincts can be quite strong, and I think they can emerge as the dog matures.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen, my dog babies have been gone for five years, and I still see them sometimes when I pull in the driveway, or when I walk into a room where they used to lie. At first it made me sad, but then I realized that it was just a way of keeping them near me, because my love and memory of them was so strong.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Minx's smug little smile most, and the way she would stroke my arm with the tip of her tail as I held her.

imogen, it gets better. Eventually the good parts shine through the sadness when you remember. But what a raw, raw Christmas this is for you.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.