FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Since when do we have a "preview post" button?

Author Topic: Since when do we have a "preview post" button?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I just accidentally clicked on it and this is how I discovered it exists.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* Since longer than I've been around, certainly.

You never preview your posts? *boggles*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That would imply that YOU exist. And I think the initial assumption is false. Therefore, the preview post button doesn't exist, and it's all a ploy put forth by your evil programming.

[ December 24, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never preview mine. I had to check just now to see it, because I couldn't remember. I think it's been there for a long time, I just never use it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
That would imply that YOU exist. And I think the initial assumption is false
You saw me. You touched me. I ate your food. I slept in your bed. I ...

[Monkeys]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Man, that sounds dirty. Good thing Kira's asleep!

Not that that would bar her from opening up this thread when she wakes up. But atleast her wrath will be delayed.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Now, if I don't exist, there's nothing to be mad about... [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been around for a long time.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

you may have a point there. I'm safe...for now. [Smile]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been there since the website got its facelift - when the member numbers were added, and the registration dates, and the new graemlins, and other such fun stuff.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts*

*stamps ground*

*CHARGES*

[No No]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*is very glad that this didn't turn into a Cartesian debate on the nature of existence*

DesCartes irritates me. So do most philosophers, actually. I'm a big fan of Hobbs, though.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
When did this website geta facelift? [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Once upon a time, hatrack river didn't have features like preview post. Member numbers were not listed, and when they started to be they were just short of reaching 4000 (if I remember, correctly).

Registration dates were not listed, nor was there a feature to report a post. When you edited a post more than once, more than one edit line would appear at the end - prompting some posters to have no text, yet fifteen edit lines.

IP addresses were not logged, or at least that fact was not displayed openly, and there weren't cool Instant UBB Code buttons. There were only ten or twelve graemlins, and people walked from thread to thread uphill both ways.

Rumor has it that there was a time even before this, when Bob Scopatz had a post count in the triple digits and there was an actual member named Dobie. And before even then, there was no hatrack river website, it being only a message board on America Online.

They were dark times, indeed.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D0bie
Member # 7145

- posted      Profile for D0bie   Email D0bie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you talkin' about me? [Angst]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were dark times, indeed.
And yet, when the change first happened it made me want to claw my eyeballs out.

It's better now.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, how do you feel about clawing your eyeballs out now? Do you want to talk about it? [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wait just a second! Accuracy, people, accuracy!

These:
quote:
Once upon a time, hatrack river didn't have features like preview post. Member numbers were not listed, and when they started to be they were just short of reaching 4000 (if I remember, correctly).

Registration dates were not listed, nor was there a feature to report a post. When you edited a post more than once, more than one edit line would appear at the end - prompting some posters to have no text, yet fifteen edit lines.

IP addresses were not logged, or at least that fact was not displayed openly, and there weren't cool Instant UBB Code buttons.

were changed shortly before I joined. February 2003, I was told.

This:
quote:
There were only ten or twelve graemlins
did not change until several months after I joined. In fact, I was one of the people (led by Hobbes, of course [Smile] ) who campaigned for greater smilie range. I think the new ones showed up about May 2003?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

This is true. Though, in my mind, those two happened so close to one another to become a single big change. My mistake.

It is true that there was the big change, and then there was a popular request for more graemlins that was responded to some months later.

Hmm... maybe that's a good newbie dividing line. Those who existed pre-facelift, and those who didn't.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

And there can be a further division - those who remember when Bob_Scopatz had less than a four digit post count, and those who weren't around during that week.

[Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

*sad* So does that mean that I'm still a newbie?

Rats!

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

rivka, I never noticed your post count until just now.

DEAR LORD!

That's... that's... that's just obscene. That should be rated M, or something, for "my word thats a lot of posts". That's an average of 16 posts per day for 22 straight months... almost 475 posts per month! [Eek!]

Edit: Is this all an effort to catch Bob? [Confused]

[ December 25, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, rivka! What's up with that?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

See, I already knew Dag was a post-whore... [Razz]

Though just know I figured out that he's averaging over 20 posts per day.... yeesh.

Please, people. Go outside. There's this big bright thing up in the sky called a "sun" - and there are this beautiful things we like to call "trees" - and googling those words and watching live outside web feeds is not the same thing as leaving the house.

Just detach the IV drip hanging next to your computer and back away slowly... the withdrawl convulsions will subside in time...

[ December 25, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought the first major face lift came much earlier. Like in 2002. Or somewhere near about 2,500. I remember thinking I had registered just in time because they changed the way you registered (which is why I don't have any throw away ID's.)

(Ha, almost had you there for a moment, thinking I didn't have any throw away screen names, didn't I? I just don't have them that you know about for this screen name incarnation of me. [Evil] )

But I do remember thinking at the time that I was going to be stuck with Kayla forever. [Frown]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Yeah, they did change the way you registered around then, making sure they had a working email address for every account.

Forgot about that.

That must have been when I lost JumpingHighButNotReallyFlyingSheep... dangit.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Though the first major facelift was probably the move from AOL - which I was certainly not around for, and cannot speak about. I do remember stumbling into an AOL message board on OSC waaay back, but I didn't stay.

At the time I was a regular in the Star Wars message boards and the Classified SpeakEZ. I simply poked my head around a bit and then left. That was back in 1996-97, I think. It wasn't until years later that I heard about hatrack.com from my sister, and wasn't until after the Literary Boot Camp that I signed on.

So, some of the more elder members may know of even earlier facelifts.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Ahh, yeah, the good old days, when I was touchy and thought you were an insensitive pig. Now that I realize that you are a bovine and not a swine and you're only full of cow pies, it makes me think I'm less paranoid than I used to be. [Wave]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, you're right about the major major face lift being the change over from AOL. I remember coming here back in the 90s and thinking it was all a bit much. This is much more user friendly. I'm just talking about major face lifts since I've been here, which is really all that's important, isn't it?
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
omigawd.... Classified SpeakEZ..... they were hosting weekly trivia games in there shortly before I split away from AOL. Never thought I'd hear that name again!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I do go outside! Really!

I mean, it counts if I go out long enough to get in the car and drive the kids to school and me to work, right?

Right?

Ok, so I talk a lot. [Blushing] For those who have met me in person, this should come as no surprise. [Razz]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I was in the SpeakEZ all the time, playing in those very trivia games. Prizes were free hours of AOL usage - back when it was hourly. Ah, the memories.

As for my being an insensitive pig, I can see that. My first fifteen posts were in the Battle of the Sexes thread, I think, and I was mostly bantering back and forth with folks I met at the Boot Camp who knew me already - and knew that I was being over the top for effect.

Thinking back, people who *didn't* know me surely thought I was a total ass. Though now there's probably only a handful of people who are even still around who remember that. (I mean, seeing as 70% of the board registered after I did, and of that initial 30%, at least half of those names were probably Pat's and Ced's... [Big Grin] )

Edit: Hey Goody, did you go to the Heckler's Hangout, too?

[ December 26, 2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Okay, FC, now I'm concerned about you taking me seriously. Yes, I thought you were an insensitive pig, but that was because of one comment that I took completely the wrong way, blew out of proportion, and was about an issue that I have huge issues with. It wasn't you, it was me. But you're right, you did show up just after Ced and I was rather touchy about that, too. [Wink] What I'm saying is that I was being the jerk, and in that last post, I was trying to be funny using a play on words with the cow part of your name. Really, I should know better. Nobody gets my sense of humor. But, I amuse myself, so. . . [Razz]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Oh, I got that you were joking - I didn't take any of those comments to heart at all. I was just trying to explain to the rest of the world at large why I was an insensitive pig all those years ago - because, I sort of was. Sure, you may have been a trifle touchy, but I hit one of your buttons with a sledgehammer, so I understand why.

I think that was probably when mack first gave me the finger, too. [Blushing]

Kama
Member # 3022

Actually, in real life, rivka talks even more [Razz]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
And a hunnert times faster.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Blushing] [Blushing] [Blushing]

I'd protest the defamation of my character, but it's [Blushing] all true!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.