FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I get to decide things about my life! Cool! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I get to decide things about my life! Cool!
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
True. Road trips are like marriage concentrate.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, Noemon is mostly right.

My mother became LDS two years before I was born, but she promptly went inactive and took us to church occasionally and sporadically. I was baptized when I was 13 with my sister, who promptly went inactive and has since been baptized as a baptist. Couldn't be baptized earlier because my father was violently opposed to the church (threatened to kill any mormon who ever stepped foot inside our house), but after his brain aneurisms and resulting brain damage when I was 12, he was no longer in a position to stop me from being baptized, so I was.

I consider myself first generation LDS simply because I'm the only person who benefited from it in my family, I'm the only one who ever took it seriously and actually tried to be a good LDS person, and my mother was never active. In fact, she's probably broken just about every commandment that there ever was, with only one exception. I doubt she's ever killed anyone. My father, on the other hand, is a whole other ballgame. . .

Mennonite by heritage. Both my parents grew up in Mennonite households raised in Mennonite churchs. And we therefore lived in a Mennonite culture. I am genetically a purebred Mennonite going back to the beginnings of the Mennonite religion.

TMI?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, shiver me timbers and strike me blind . . . just kidding . . .

Congratulations, the pair of you!

(((Mack and T)))

[Smile]

grumbles - go away for a few days and come back to wedding dates - sheesh - what's Hatrack coming to . . . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple shots:

http://www.madowl.com/o1.jpg
http://www.madowl.com/o2.jpg

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely, mack. I vote against flowers in the hair, assuming I get a vote. [Wink] But, a necklace? Are you going to wear a necklace? And just carry a small, simple bouquet. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a necklace. I forgot to put the damn thing on and didn't remember until I was back in my jammies. And my sister is a cosmetologist, so I get my own hairdresser. Right then it was end of the day I'd rather be wearing my jammies and don't care what my hair does...hair.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, that wasn't a comment on how your hair looked in the picture. It was just that Mrs. M had suggested a floral wreath above, and I agree that those can look really great on short hair. But I don't think it would go well with the outfit. [Smile]

End of the day is definitely jammie time. [Smile]

You got your shoes picked out already, too?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice dressy jacket! I wish the lighting were better--hard to see detail.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*grumps* Everyone needs to wake up and gush over how gorgeous and stylin' mack is. :pokepoke: Come on, Hatrack! Get with it!
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Wait, am I reading this correctly--you're getting married in New Hampshire? That's a stone's throw from me! Whereabouts in NH? Northern, southern?

[edit] The jacket is very nice. For the purposes of full disclosure, I'm not a fan of wedding dresses, so I'm particulary partial to alternatives. Mack, yours is particularly good. [Smile]

[ December 29, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the jacket. And the look suits Jamie [Smile]

I'd want that jacket in black. Mmm.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
No, she's getting married in Utah.

The jacket looks great!

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmph, nothing good happens in the northeast. [Grumble] Boston is the end of the civilized world, for all everyone cares.

I'm going to go back to my warm cave-fire now. [Wink]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet,
Just come to our post wedding picnic!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I sell suits for a living...drop me an e-mail, and I will hook you up as best as I can.

Not a black tie, he is getting married not going on a mission.

Well, a mission of sorts for the honymoon, but we won't go there.... [Big Grin]

I would go with a light grey shirt, with a grey and black tie....it is classic, tasteful, and perfect in that it will match anything you wear perfectly.

And I would be more than glad to help throw a party for you afterwards, if I can.

And Goten is where we are going for food, in Sunderland....let me know when is good for you two.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have it straight that the wedding is in Utah and then they are driving to NH. Which is 40-50 hours of road time actually driving. I think 8 hours a day is rather conservative. I reccommend breaking it up into 4 legs based on mileages. Salt Lake to Kearney Nebraska, to Chicago, to... uh, probably New York and then New Hampshire. I used to think those eastern states were all just pennyfarts, but one time I tried to drive to Vermont and it took 13 hours from D.C.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I prefer Wedding dresses, but that coat is wonderful.

If you haven't decided, there is a wedding dres shop here in MA that gets all their syuff from NYC...Jenni got her dress and veil for less than I believed, and she looked wonderful.

I have never seen a bride in a coat and pants before, but one way or another I am sure you will be beautiful.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

We're actually flying back. Trip will happen another time.

Suits, Kwea?

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

Picnic? In January? I'm so confused.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, I sell suits....at JCPenney in Holyoke.

Kwea

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. About flying.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

(I think he's talking about for Nate, mack, if he doesn't have his black suit already.)
mackillian
Member # 586

He has a really nice black 3 button suit. We just don't know what to do for shirt and tie.
mackillian
Member # 586

And WheatPuppet, I live (and he will live soon) in NH. Where are you? Do you snowboard?
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
No way, after today, I'm doing another picnic in the dead of winter. Well, not one where we have to roast hotdogs by a fire. [Wink]

I'd just like to say that I appreciate everyone who has posted in this thread. I really do. I appreciate the caring advice that has been giving, both now and previously with the engagement announcement. Thank you. [Smile]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

Right now I'm living in Montpelier, Vermont. It's about an hour from West Lebanon, NH. I have relatives in Temple, NH. I'm on Christmas break right now, but when I'm not eating good food and sleeping until 11:00AM, I'm at University of Vermont in Burlington.

I ski, when I have the money and inclination. My usual spot is in Sugarbush in Warren, VT. Killington is the hot spot to go for the ski people so it's always crowded, and as a result it's hard to have fun skiing. It's still a good place, if you know where to go.

[edit] I have no idea where exactly Temple is, since I havn't been there in years (before I cared about roads and signs and the like). Mapquest says Temple is about an hour southwest of Manchester.

[ December 29, 2004, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking. Jamie and Nathan have both been here a long time and are fairly well known, and they have both met many Hatrackers in person. I wondered if there would be Hatrackers who wanted to send cards, gifts, or money to them this month. There is obviously no time for a wedding shower and the wedding itself is going to be very small.

I asked Jamie if she was going to register anywhere and the answer was no. She isn't really sure what precise things they might want for their apartment, plus they might possibly be moving to a different one soon. She did say that they will really need more bookshelves and a closet storage system.

If anyone wants to send them something, you can email me or Jamie to get her address. She gave me permission to give it out. Or, if you wanted to paypal money for bookshelves or other purchases you can paypal me or her directly. Both of us use paypal and the emails listed in our profiles are the correct ones for paypalling money. If you send it to me I'll keep track of your names and the amounts and give it to her in one lump sum, maybe after they get back to New Hampshire.

Just a thought.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That is a good idea, really.

Thanks for offereing to do that, I had been wondering if we should.

Kwea

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie ... you look soooo beautiful. I cannot imagine a wedding outfit that would look better on you.

Classsssy!

*applause

(Really, from the description I was guessing I'd like it, but you -floored- me with the photos)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and best wishes to you both.

[The Wave]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca: email sent.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I call big news ! Congrats, to both of you. Be happy, and try not to mind what the others will say or do. I was 19 and Vinnie 25 when I started to live with him, and we had had our first kis a few days ago. We already knew we were made for each other and that we wanted to marry and have children (we still don't agree on the number, but I guess life will decide that for us).
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
You need a small bouquet. Or a single flower.

(Calla Lilies, Gerberas Lisianthusi, and Roses all look good alone... I'd just go to a nice flower shop and pick what you like)

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I love Calla lilies, I wouldn't do a white flower with a cream suit. I vote for the Lisianthusi.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
For some small, simple bouquet ideas:

Gerbera
Calla Lily (and an assortment of styles in Calla silks)
Rose Clutch (and a more elaborate version)
Lilies
Tulips

A single flower would also be lovely. I'm most partial to the lines of some of bouquets at the Calla silks -- very elegant. There is a single-like version there, too. Note that a lot of the Calla styles, e.g., the first one I linked, have an abundance of green to set them off.

I think some versions of white, off-white or soft pastel-tinged (e.g., peach) would look lovely with the suit. You'd have to try it out, though, and see what you think.

[ December 29, 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Tulips will be expensive this time of year.
I'm a fan of the gerbera bouquet linked by CT.

Silk flowers can be nice, but I've always been a bigger fan of real flowers.

I don't think I'd have a corsage and a bouquet at the same time. If you're having a wedding ceremony then a reception-like get together, you could put on the corsage after.

As always, I'm a big fan of a single elegant rose. And they dry if you want to keep it for memories [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
Silk flowers can be nice, but I've always been a bigger fan of real flowers.
Me, too. I was just linking to different examples for style ideas.

[ December 29, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

The first rose clutch pic that Sara linked is exactly what I was thinking of, but I really like the gerbara one. That would be fabulous.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Wouldn't the Gerbera look great with her hair?

I still like Callas. *grin

mackillian
Member # 586

I love the Gerbera one (get out of my head two you! out! it's already crowded in there with other friends).

And the callas are...awesome...as a flower in general. They very well might become my favorite flower.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't wear flowers, but you definitely need a colorful bouquet to set off that jacket -- which is lovely, by the way.

Forgive me for also thinking, with the geeky part of my brain, that a lightsaber would also complete the look. [Smile]

------

BTW, while I have a long-standing policy against giving money as a gift, I'd love to send a wedding present. That said, I also recognize that you haven't settled into a new place yet and don't know what you want -- and I don't want to ship you something that you're just going to have to move immediately. What are the odds that you two will register for gifts after the wedding?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! If I ever get married again (God forbid) I'm going to use Hatrack as my wedding planner. You all here have some great ideas as to what looks nice..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I like the Gerberas for their simplicity, sweetness, and for the echo of the spritely tousled waves of her hair.

I like the Callas for their extreme purity of line, a line that echoes perfectly the curve of that upstanding neckline of the jacket. The Angelica bouquet at the Calla silks link would -- in just this one person's opinion -- be extraordinary.

But the Gerberas would be awesome, too. As would anything that Jamie ends up picking, I'm sure.

The Gerberas do seem the most "mack-ly" to me.

[ December 29, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Tom, we're going to be moving into a townhouse in the coming month if everything (lease, etc) goes through. I'll let you know.

Oh man. A lightsaber. I have swords...

The first think my friends said last night was, "Dude! The Matrix!"

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
At first, I read that as "I hate swords". [Eek!]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to you both! [Hat]
May you always make each other happy. [Kiss] [Big Grin]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to you both! I married at 19 and we're going on 13 yrs. It has been tremendously hard yet I can't express how worth it it has been. I would never change the decision even knowing the dark times we've gone through.

We drove from MD to AZ to UT for our "honeymoon" and it was quite nice. That was when I got introduced to OSC for the first time (his books anyway).

May God bless you both and may you both always work hard to keep the happiness you feel now [Smile]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, let me champion the white shirt and gray tie for Nathan. It worked for Andrew. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=e208&.dnm=9450.jpg&.src=ph

Did you know you can get mini calla lillies? We used them in my place settings. Also, it's perfectably acceptable to mix cream and white flowers in a bouquet. I did, because the roses that I wanted didn't come in white.

I love the outfit, mac. It's elegant and romantic all at the same time. I would still go with a garland, though. A very small, understated one. Also, the necklace should be very short - not much longer than a choker. You don't want it to fight with the lace.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Mack and Nate! Good luck for the future.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck and I had Gerberas (and Ivy) for our wedding. It was just lovely. Have you seen the pictures? I should email you some.

I also wore cream...oh, I wish I could lend you my "princess dress". Hehe. Aside from being Way Too Big, though, it's entirely not your style. Heh. I just wish I could lend it to someone, I think it's getting lonely in its garment bag. Sigh.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.