FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lifelines: I am OUT :-( (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Lifelines: I am OUT :-(
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be good stuff for an article.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that very thing. Plus, if I got the right day, I could hoot at Ic and Cor.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"This Florida newsman, well known for his humorous articles on every day life and pop culture, received much early exposure among fans of science fiction author Orson Scott Card:

A. Tony Kornheiser
B. Dave Barry
C. Chris Bridges
D. Art Buchwald"

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not a newsman. Columnist, sure.

I've seen what reporters have to do. Brrr. No way could I bring myself to interview people after (or worse, during) a tragedy.

On the plus side there is occasionally a chance to make a good difference, such as the reporter who discovered the missing son of a local person here was still alive. Our reporter was the one to inform the boy's mom.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Icky, what is the deal?

When will you find out if you will be on?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't find out until the fifteenth, but I'll contact those of you who said you would help before then. [I need to have my lifelines in place before knowing, just in case. What I can do is call people if/when I find out I won't be in.] Just not right now . . . grades are coming due soon! [Angst]

[ January 02, 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Cool...I will see if I am working, and let you know what the deal is. I have a 3 day weekend once a month, and it falls on the same weekend Jenni has one, so we might both be available.

If not...well, let us know how it turned out!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy to help you if you get stuck on a question about Japanese culture or Japan or something like that. I don't know much about specifics, and I'm no expert, but I should be able to answer most of the questions they would ask on the show. There are other things I know about. Comics to some extent (though probably less than many other people...) Ummm... Law and Order. O_o Things.

^_^;; I COULD be useful...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't forget to have a couple of kids for the Pokemon and Yugi-oh questions! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Umm..I know about current tax issues, but not history. My mother used to raise and breed toy poodles. I know about most of the same childrens' type stuff you guys probably do. I know a lot about guns, reloading, and stuff like that. Umm...don't call me with a history question. Whatever you do, not that. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I could probably be in chat for a while...

If you need music help (music history and/or theory) you've got me, Megan, Allegra, digging holes....Annie's pretty good too...Raia?

I'm also not bad with learning theories and child psychology...British literature, and a little bit of US history. [Smile]

I hope you get in!! (What's the time frame on that day IF you get in?)

[ January 03, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Rules for phone a friends:

• No cell phones.
  • Must be available from noon to 8pm eastern time on 1/15.
  • If I make it into the pool, I will likely have the opportunity to call you and tell you to be on standby sometime between 8:30 and 10:00 am on 1/15.
  • If I am not selected to appear on the show, I will probably know by 9:30, and be able to call you then to let you know.

[ January 03, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Let us know. [Big Grin]
Icarus
Member # 3162

By the end of this week (or sooner if I have time) I will start to cull a list from this thread of who has offered and what their self-described strengths are. (And who is not available by phone but is interested in being in an aim chat.)

Has anybody offered to get multiple people together at one phone number? That still would be a best bet. Come on, guys. You know how you love to have shindas, picnics, etc. Here's your excuse!

Kwea
Member # 2199

We need no excuse here, but I have a small apartment. Also, what day of the week is it again? If Jenni and I have the day off we would be glad to hold a get together, but if we have to work, well....

I hope you do well, but I have bills to pay.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Icarus
Member # 3162

Saturday.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be helpful with music history/theory. If there is a question on Double bass history I am your man...er woman. I will try to be in the AIM chat, but saturdays are often not good days for me.

Good Luck!

Edit: I could also help a little with European History.

[ January 03, 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, I just checked and JenniK has it iff. I don't know if I will have it of....it is my schedualed weekend off but I took this Sat off to see my parents before they went out of state.

I will know by Thursday if I have it off.

Jenni speaks French, Italian, ASL, Japanese, and Spanish...the last two are her strongest.

She also has a photographic memory, and had a 4.0 when she transfered to UMASS. She isn't strong on science and math though.

I am very strong in the soft sciences, Psychology being my strongest. I also am very good at Music, and pretty good at Music History, and I played 5 insturments, although that was years ago. Also, I am VERY strong in fantasy, Tolkien in specific, but I have a brad base of knowledge in modern fantasy as well as Lit in general...both from

Good luck either way!

Kwea

Icarus
Member # 3162

Cool. Remember, though, not this Saturday--the next Saturday.

[ January 03, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I know...I AM working this Sat.

I don't get the schedual for NEXT Sat until this Tues.

[Razz]

[ January 03, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I made sure I have that Saturday free on my schedule, in case we do the chat-room answer thing. I'll just make sure to be available in the morning to hear whether or not you made it on..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check with Tom and Christy to see if we can make a day of it. Anyone else want to come to Madison to hang with us?

Christy and I are good for hard sciences, Christy would rock at current music, and Tom ... well, you know. [Smile] He's Tom.

I will make treats if anyone comes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyerchic and I aren't very good at any of the above, but we are planning to be in the area on the 15th, and we're looking for something to do durring the day...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cool. Remember, though, not this Saturday--the next Saturday.
So, this next Saturday? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and I would go to Madison to hang out with Tom and Christy and Sara, except that he's getting back from DC on Friday and we're leaqving for MN on Sunday, and for some reason he doesn't want to travel on Saturday. [Dont Know]

But we'll be home and available all day.

Edit: and we'll invite smart friends over.

[ January 04, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
:bump: so what's up with this?
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
MillionaireIM just asked me a question.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Grades were due today, and it's our first rehearsal tonight for a show we have been cast in, oh, and it's our anniversary. :-p But tomorrow or the day after I will try to organbize who is my go-to person for what, and e-mail people asking for phone numbers. (Or you could save me that effort and e-mail me with those phone numbers.)

Anybody going to Tom & Christy's? Is there another gathering anywhere else?

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am going to talk to my boss tommorrow..I was suppose to have this coming weekend off, but for some reason I am schedualed. I want it off even if I am not on your list, but I will let you know tommorow for sure.

Jenni has it off, so even if I am not available she is willing to be here for you, and she does have a lot of esoteric knowledge...her family and friends won't plat Trivial Persuit against her because she use to read the cards for fun....and with a photographic memory she remembers most of them still!

Kwea

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

It looks like JT, breyerchic, and Stray won't be able to make it ( [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] ) to Madison. I'll still be with Tom and Christy.

[ January 10, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
All day January 15? If they can't get me on the phone do you get another try and the edit it out? I don't remember them ever not getting someone.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No cell phones.
Isn't that kind of redundant in this day and age of the internet? Or is no internet another rule?

quote:
No, I haven't seen that one. To be honest I have already found 3 mistakes in the cards......they keep refering to teh movie on questions, even when the catigory isn't movies.
Yeah, the thing is entirely about the movies, as opposed to the books, so any of the questions are going to be definately referring to the movie, whether it be character, place or making of [Smile] .

[ January 10, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not really....there is a movie question, but most of the other questions in the catigories seem to be about the books. Three were even a couple that specifically said "In the book..."

One about the Scouring of the Shire too, which is good...I was beginning to think I had imagined that chapter... [Big Grin]

AND one about Tom B... [Big Grin]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob and I would go to Madison to hang out with Tom and Christy and Sara, except that he's getting back from DC on Friday and we're leaqving for MN on Sunday, and for some reason he doesn't want to travel on Saturday.
(gasp) I am in MN!!! You should, like come see me or some junk!!! [Wink]

Seriously, though, how long are the two of you going to be here?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, here is what I'm seeing so far, in terms of availability and strengths. What I need is for you to e-mail me with your phone numbers, preferably as soon as possible. Do any of you mind if I share this information with Cor and my father, in case either of them makes it in and I don't? I have a friend who will also be trying to get in the same day . . .

(Let me once again make a call for groups of Hatrackers under one roof. That would be the best way to hedge my bets! And you get a get-together out of it!)

If I don't have a clear picture of what your strengths are, please elucidate. In the heat of the moment, I'm going to have to think of a person to call, and I will do this on the basis of what you told me your strength is. If you haven't really told me one, then, while I'm grateful to have you on my list, it will probably not occur to me to call you. I hate to have you waste a Saturday. (And when you say something is a strength, I'm hoping you mean it is a STRENGTH--that you're not terribly likely to be stumped by any question they could ask.

"Jack-of-all-trades" is kind of vague. If I need someone who is not in an area specifically covered here, I am most likely to call a number where there is a gathering of jacks-of-all-trades.

So here's what I have:

Kwea and Jenni and . . . ?: jack of all trades, World Lit, languages, soft sciences, LOTR, pharmacy

Goody Scrivener: strengths?

Bob & Dana: statistics, religion

Lalo: Mexican culture? (how tongue-in-cheek was this?)

Quidscribis: If you were serious, I'll have to check if international calls are allowed. I'm guessing they might not be. [Frown]

Trisha: greek mythology

zgator: engineering, soil stuff

Alucard... - erm, drugs

Ryuko - Japanese culture

Boon - tax issues. toy poodles

People who have said they would chat--we'd need to have the above people in the chat room with you for this to work, or how would you get the question?

Allegra (chat only?) Narnia. Are
Megan, Allegra, digging holes, Annie, and Raia doing this? It seems like Narnia was offering your services . . . is she empowered to do so? [Wink]

posts I'm not certain were offers: plaid? Farmgirl? mack? Teshi? Elizabeth? xnera?

People whose standing I do not know: Chris? fugu?

People who are notably absent, or have notably not offered: Hobbes, kacard, OrsonScottCard (sure, you'll call a radio station for Calvin Maker . . . [Grumble] ), mr_porteiro_head . . . say, maybe I should troll the other fora . . . oh well, I have to leave now. Maybe later.

Folks who are in and on the phone: I would like to call you sometime, so that I have actually spoken with you and know the sound of your voice and you know mine, etc. Maybe take away some of the weirdness of talking with people I know but have never met, on syndicated TV.

Chatters: I would like to do at least one trial run at some point; maybe I play the computer game and call one of you when I get a question I can't answer, so we can get familiar with the challenges of getting a question with choices relayed, typed, and answered, all within thirty seconds. Frankly, I'm not confident it's possible. Is there a time when we could get everyone in an aim room this week? Maybe we try this more than once? I would not surprise people . . . we could coordinate online the fact that I'm going to call, and a general window of time, but then when I call, we time everything strictly.

Same goes for couples . . . I would love to call you with a question to practice relaying the question (or using a speakerphone without distortion; I'm not aware of a rule against this, but I'll check). Are you up for this?

hmm . . . is there anything I have forgotten?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I actually have blocked out time for this, this Saturday -- although I need to be out cleaning up all the storm damage (limbs) from my yard.

What I was hoping, for my part -- is that we would all be in a chat room (Ivygirl can help me monitor that) and you will let us know Saturday morning what time the event looks like it may/may not take place, and then I can make sure I'm in front of the community chat at that time.

But I don't know who specifically you are going to call that will answer the phone and put the question to chat within the 60 seconds allotted.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Tom, Christy, and me. We'll all be at Tom's or my place, and I'll email you the number. We'll know tonight for sure, barring weird illnesses or freak accidents of nature. We can practice in advance, too.

TomD: (I'm guessing here) comparative religions, history, literature, computer/tech stuff, current geek culture, and probably a thousand other things

Christy: agriculture, biology, chemistry, other hard sciences, math, current music, and I'm blanking on more

Sara Sasse: pretty much just academic philosophy, medicine, biology, and Leonard Cohen -- but man, I am spot on for everything about that last one ( [Big Grin] )

[ January 11, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The question is -- what is your weakest area, Icky?

I know when I watch the show, I can sometime get the really hard questions up the 64,000 range and up -- but get tripped up on those stupid easy entertainment questions -- like they had one about the characters on Different Strokes and I had absolutely no idea becuase I had never watched the show. Entertainment is just an impossible category for me (even on trivial pursuit) but those are good ones for "ask the audience"

Farmgirl

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Mmm Hmm. I still have an aversion to that shade of pink.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was feeling better, I would borrow my mom's car and head up to Madison. But it appears that I am coming down with something, so I won't be going anywhere this weekend. [Frown]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be home after all. [Frown]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was a "I wish I had some kind of expertise so I could help but I so don't so I can't" type answer.

I'm more random fact type, which is the kind of thing you don't want.

Also, I am presently incapable of entering chatrooms. If I can, I'll be there in the chatroom to offer any help I can- and no hindrance [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so sad! I would have loved to join Sara and the Davidsons. But, we're going to be in Chicago to see Spamalot that day.

Ic, I can't wait to hear how it went! Everyone having gatherings, have fun!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like, put me down for Architecture, Canine, and Science Fiction knowledge.

And let me know when you're going to do your trial run. Even if I don't help, watching would be a blast.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
The only expertise I could add would be for beer related questions or perhaps drywall or painting questions but I doubt that there would be anything like that. I can't promise to be at home the whole time but I could be sure to have my cell phone handy if that would work.

Edit to add: Ooops, no cell phones, bummer. Out of curiosity can they tell if a number is a cell phone?

[ January 12, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*cough*

No emails yet . . .

Icarus
Member # 3162

Dana, will Bob be there, or should I take you both off of my list?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I don't have a car this weekend or I would head up to Pheonix and we could have a Very Icky Bunching. Otherwise I'll be sitting here all day with nothing to do. I don't trust myself to have more than a lot of trivial knowledge, but there are quite a few smart people here in AZ.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.