FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, archery…

Author Topic: So, archery…
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve asked this before here on Hatrack, but I didn’t really get a huge response so I’m trying again. [Smile] I’ve been interested in getting into archery for a while, but I don’t know how one would go about that. Right now I’m in Colorado, but mostly I’m at Purdue (West Lafayette Indiana), and I don’t think there are any official archery locations in either place, but I haven’t looked that hard. So, how would one go about finding a place to shot, especially a novice who is perfectly likely to miss by 20 feet?

And perhaps more importantly, how does one get started? Is there any place that rents this stuff? And if not, what type of price are we talking about to buy the necessary equipment, how would you (I) know what to look for? What advice can you give me that I’m too ignorant to even ask for?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Most place have a sportsman shop that might have a range, and some parks have public ranges as well. I would go with a local indoor range, there is usually some sort of instruction available there and often equipment rentals as well.

Also you might want to check out two place that might not have occurred to you....the local colleges and the YMCA. There are archery classes available through the YMCA tat are open to the public, and they are usually reasonably priced. The colleges sometimes offer Archery as a class for PE, and it gives you credit too if you are currently in school.

I was an archer for years through the Boy Scouts, and I had my own little compound bow that I shot with for years. I won all sorts of awards, and it was one of the most fun things I did as a kid.

Good Luck!

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I learned in scouts. Haven't touched it since.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Wow, you really DIDN"T look all that hard, huh?

Here is a list of official ranges open in IN by the DNR.

Also this lake came up under a search for ranges in your area... don't know how close it is though.

It looks like Purdue use to have an Archery club but that it doesn't anymore. If you talk to the athletic department about it they might be able to tell you more about it, and if there is enough interest they might even start it up again. Purdue has an armory s it wouldn't be a real strech for them, you know....

Good luck!

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Archery

Call following numbers for information about leagues and activities:

Arrows III Adventures: 429-4747

Burnham’s: 743-2136

Goof ball. http://parks.city.west-lafayette.in.us/sports.asp

Also, if these places are actually places you can do archery, and have equipment you can rent, you should do that.

Here is a really good website for you to read and follow links through.

quote:
In fact we often advise people to hold off from spending lots on equipment until they have a good idea of what they want....usually found out after a few sessions learning at a club or similar
Actually, I was a bit concerned about Arrows III & Tackle Too when I read a few reviews that were all about paint ball, but the yellow pages seems to think that they sell a lot of archery equipment. 2888 State Road 25 N is the street address in Lafayette. There's also Archery Unlimited 3501 Union St Lafayette. And Burnham's is at 500 Brown St in West Lafayette.

One would think that the Co-Rec would have archery or an archery club, but it seems that they don't. Weird. It looks like they did, but I can't find anything dated past 2003 that has anything to do with archery.

Well, I take that back.

quote:
Archery lockers are available in the archery range for $5 a semester.

http://www.purdue.edu/RecSports/rsc/fees.html

Surely if they'll rent you an archery locker and have an archery range, they know something about archery, right?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Werid, I searched Purdue and couldn't find any place, and within biking distance didn't find any ranges. I guess I really suck at looking. [Cry]

Thanks guys, this great! [Group Hug]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 26, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, so it looks like there's no where even vaguely close enough to me ... except Purdue's rec, and this is odd because I have done an exhaustive search of Purdue clubs and there's definitly not an archery one, but I'm going to go into the rec when I get back and ask about this and hopefully they can point me the right way. This is good. [Smile]

For the other archers out there, is there any tips you want to give someone whose starting out?

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The pointy end goes forward.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Merry Christmas Kat. (((Kat)))

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*tacklehug* Merry Christmas, Marvelous Hobbes. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Get an arm guard for the inside of your elbow! Or be prepared for large bruises! And a glove for your bow hand and finger protection for your string hand.

Relax and control your breathing. And, pick an anchor point somewhere around your jaw or lower. After you gain some experience, you can fiddle with different anchor points and see which feels best, but early on, it's best to try to use a lower anchor point.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I always anchored at the jawbone...it felt most natural.
I always used an arm guard, but hated the shooting tab....try to use a finger guard glove instead, it allows for better feel IMO.

According to the Purdue site there use to be an archery club...it was listed in the synopsis...but it isn't active any more. If I were you I would go to the Intermural activities/sports office and talk to them. If there is no club currently perhaps they still allow people to use the range.

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah, when I get back I'm going to find people to talk to and hope that there's both a range, equipment to rent, and someone to teach me. [Smile]

I actually got someone to promise to teach me archery, but that fell apart when he got married a month ago...

Hobbes [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Try here, this is the site that messed up the site before.

[ December 26, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

That Burnham's is the only one that's close enough, or even close to close enough. [Wink] I have to get everywhere on bike, but that's perfectly doable. That's something else I'll be checking out when I get back. Another thanks. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

[Hat]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a fabulouslly fun idea. I was quite an archery whiz myself back in those two weeks in high school gym. Will you be Robin Hood for Halloween?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes--that wasn't Adam, by chance was it? I'm not sure if I would really want to learn archery from him...give the little bit flighty boy sticks with sharp ends? I don't know... [Wink]

I actually think archery would be fun to learn. We tried it once at girl's camp but I wasn't amazing at it. And they did it in Princess Diaries 2 (which we watched today, you'll note).

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to ask Mike about this. I know he was really into archery at one point and he was thinking about taking it up again.

If you find out about the co-rec can you let me know?
The 4 of us need to arrange to get together some time. I really want to be Lisha-Princess. It's driving me crazy that we go to the same college and haven't met yet. (Of course I also want to see you Hobbes, but I've met you multiple times and haven't met her at all, so naturally she gets higher priority [Razz] )

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I never used an arm guard and I didn't get bruises. [Taunt] But then, I knew to turn my elbow so it was flat, not sticking out.

So there!

I did archery at camp years ago and I was pretty good. But that was what, twenty five years ago? Eeesh, I'm getting old . . . [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY -- high priority!!
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

wait, who's number four?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, my boyfriend. He's in freshman engineering and goes with me to all of the hatrack get togethers to reassure my mother that I will have protection from all the scary internet people.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

[Angst] Hobbes, will you protect me from the scary internet people?!
Annie
Member # 295

I'm a scary internet person.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You know I think of you like a sister Lisha, so as long as I'm not laughing to hard I'll stop Blacwolve and Mike from ... I don't know, whatever it is scary internet people do.

[EDIT:
I Love you Annie [Kiss]
]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 27, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Annie
Member # 295

By the way, Hobbes, I'm not avoiding talking to you on the phone. I'm only on Hatrack because Abby is now on the phone and delaying the start of our Super Scrabble game.
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

But Annie, scary internet person that you may be (Hobbes, please note that this was a self-made description and I am NOT calling her names), I'm pretty sure that Hobbes would side with you and not me. Perfect people are much more appealing than sisters. [Wink]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Lisha's right of course, I would side with Annie over ... well ... anyone.

Hobbes [Smile]

Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

So, uh, when are we going to investigate this archery business, Hobbes?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering too.

I did archery in high school and I loved it. [Smile]

I was pretty good at it, too. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.