FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When playing a game is not so much fun

Author Topic: When playing a game is not so much fun
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a game for Christmas, Syberia 2, and though not the best adventure game ever, it's fun to play, except...

I have a crappy monitor. It's on its brightest setting, and still it's too darn dark. So there are parts in the game which I can't see at all. Which really sucks, cause in the case of adventure games, every detail matters. Especially if you can't see the digits you are supposed to set in the right order. So I'm playing my game using the "print screen" button, (photoshoping a brighter picture) and, unfortunately, a walkthrough found on the game's forum. Which automatically makes it less fun. [Frown]

So, anyone wants to buy me a new monitor?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a new monitor with a web cam? [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a contrast control as well? That sometimes affects the visibility more than the brightness.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Syberia 2 doesn't have gamma control, apparantly. Stupid decision by the game designers.

Unless they want you to find a light or something and don't want you to cheat.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, any game settings screen for video? Sometimes there's an option to adjust the gamma. May also have one for the video card settings in windows. You can IM me if you need directions to (possibly) find them.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
How about a new monitor with a web cam?
Sure, if you'd be so kind [Razz]

The contrast is also at 100%, and the game options don't have these "gamma" setings whatever it is, nor brightness setting. They have detail level, but it's already on "high".

I mean, this monitor is like 5 years old, or even older. No wonder it's breaking down.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm..... Web cam.

Must. Resist. Dirty. Thoughts.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Resistance is futile.
Kama
Member # 3022

Actually, wait, does it have a right to break down after 5 years? The fridge is over 26 and still running. The TV is over 10. So why can't this stupid thing last 5 years?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You should get some gullible man to buy you a new monitor, then dump him.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Monitors aren't very expensive, last time I looked...

Does your computer have a TV-Out port on the back? It should be next to the monitor-out plug. If you know what an S-Video outlet looks like, it shouldn't be hard to spot. If it does you might be able to play the game on a TV. It may look funny (squashed), but it'll get what you want. [Smile]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.