FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US Generosity: Gap between Perceptions and Reality (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: US Generosity: Gap between Perceptions and Reality
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teachers and writers are not parasites. They due work that is necessary, and are compensated for it. They pay taxes, and partake of the same society as the rest of us do
Yes, and those of us that recieve paychecks made available because of your tax dollars..guess what....they pay taxes too. Yes, military members pay taxes. Sometimes a hefty amount of it. I have long since given up thanking my parents for the paycheck. When your own paycheck is taxed, and those same taxes go to your paycheck, it's like paying yourself to do a service for your country.

BTW, my mother thought I would be going underway to help in this. However, my ship is not quite ready to go. Just a little more work to go and a really huge examination coming up is all that is left. Oh, and a few crew certifications.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What Kwea said. Yup.

(Kwea, whenever I see your name, I think of Kiwi's. I guess it's cuz of how it sounds in my head. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You aren't the only one who has said that...kwisni and I call each other kiwi sometimes... [Big Grin]

I don't think that there is anything wrong with spending most of your tax dollars fixing problems for your populous.

On the other hand I am glad that our government has sent those ships to the area. I imagine that their fresh-water making ability is worth more to those people right now than any amount of money would be.

I do think that the US had an obligation to do something in these matters, but it is an obligation that we impose on ourselves, and no one else has a right to DEMAND that we contribute any specific amount or percentage of our GNP. Part of the reason our GNP is so much higher than Europe's is that we don't tax the crud out of business and people here. Compare to our past the tax burden, even on the rich, is far less now than in our past. This means that while our GNP is higher, our government gets a proportionately smaller amount of it than in other countries. That equates to a smaller amount available, percentage wise, than in Europe.

I am not saying we shouldn't get involved, I was just tired of hearing from people complaining we haven't done enough. Once it is all said and done I would be surprised if we didn't contribute as a people more than most....if you figure everything in, including troop costs and whatnot.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I'm with you. Completely.

I will ask for people to donate, I will ask for generosity. I will even tell y'all stories of the suffering over here in the hopes that it promotes your goodwill. And I will thank you for your generosity. That's it.

But to obligate? To demand? To condemn and criticize because it's not enough according to flawed judgement?

Nope.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.