FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Last Name Changes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Last Name Changes
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
or Madame Ovary. *grin*

I have a friend whose husband changed his name to HER family name, because he had such a wretchedly abusive family. It was the best choice for them.

I didn't have an issue with changing my maiden name to my husband's name, because both of them are boring boring boring so it didn't really matter to me. If I had a unique (or shorter) maiden name, I might have used it for a middle name.

I have enjoyed this thread, though, because it gets me thinking about the importance of nomenclature in general, and in particular as regards to genealogy.

Hmm...

(I also love the name 'Salender'...I wonder if anyone would mind me using it in a story? Not that I will ever publish anything [Grumble] )

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
*hijacks thread*
Quid, no Fahim isn't the only Muslim here. I was, for a long time, until he showed up! I don't post much in religion threads though, and I haven't been posting much at all the last few months, so I can see how you might have missed that.
*end hijack*

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, when I read this thread I somehow missed that you had made your decision. Well, there can never be too many threads about hatrack marriages on the front page. :bump:
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, changing your name with social security is rather essential. I thought that I'd done it (I swear I remember being in the office in Huntsville for that purpose), but the next time we filed taxes, the IRS told me I didn't exist.

And I totally missed this thread the first time around. I asked Nathan, he said you were taking his name and I said, "good, now I won't know 2 Jamie Taylors."

You know, because your path crosses his so often....

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Distant aside - Heinlein is pronounced "Hine-line."

I was pretty close to this for years without knowing otherwise, but was completely shocked when I discovered last year that I'd been pronouncing one of my favorite comic creator's name wrong since the 1980's. Phil Foglio, of "What's New" and "Girl Genius" fame, pronounces his last name "foh-LEE-oh." I never knew...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it important as a writer to have a last name people can pronounce? I mean, if I change to my birth name as a pen name, I don't think it will be pronounced correctly by many people unless they speak French.

Does that matter?

For the curious it's Roulier

Hey Belle! I'll bet I can pronounce it!

I work with a guy who's last name is Boulier and he has taught me MANY times how to say it properly (although I can't imitate his New Orleans accent he has when he says it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, that's hysterical. When I lived in New Orleans for a couple of years I had several people try to teach me how to say my first and last name correctly. They also didn't understand why my name uses the masculine spelling. The feminine would be Adrienne.

The reason is that I was named for my father's uncle, a man, and they used the same spelling.

Living most of my life in Alabama, few people noticed anything out of the ordinary, but down there I was constantly explaining why my name was spelled "wrong."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally went to the Social Security Office today.

Got a pretty cool compromise. I really wanted to keep Taylor in some part, especially after my grandfather passing away on Jan 6th. But I didn't want a hyphen.

Turns you don't HAVE to have one, you can just have a space.

So now I have no middle name (like my grandfather) and have Taylor Novak as my last name. So it's Jamie Taylor Novak. It makes me happy, there's no hyphen, and traditionalists can think whatever they want. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie T Novak... I reeaaallly like it. I'm happy for you.

Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.