FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Images From A Scanner Darkly

Author Topic: Images From A Scanner Darkly
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
So any fan of Philip K. Dick knows that Richard Linklater is putting the finishing touches on the movie version of A Scanner Darkly. Of all of Dick's books, A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite, though I sometimes change my mind when I read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

Anyhow, Ain't It Cool News has put up three images from the trailer of the movie. I was a bit worried when I heard that Linklater was going to do a similar animation style as he did in Waking Life. Don't get me wrong, I think Waking Life is a fantastic movie, and the animation was insane, but I was hoping for live action for A Scanner Darkly. These images have put my worries to rest. Linklater and his team are cleaning up the somewhat trippy animation of Waking Life, and the results look incredible. I'm still not sure how much of the movie will be animated, but I'm confident in Linklater's abilities as a director.

Trailer in February!

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm. That's exciting!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

A Scanner Darkly is definitely my favorite of Dick's novels. Though to be fair I haven't read all that many.

And I love everything Linklater has done. Especially Waking Life.

I definitely can't wait for this.

Fitz, you've also inspired me to check out The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. What's it about? Or if it's easier just tell me what it's like.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's crazy. It's like A Scanner Darkly in that it involves an incredibly addictive and harmful drug called Can-D, and its even more harmful competition, Chew-Z. Palmer Eldritch is the man (being, god, who knows) who brings back Chew-Z from some unknowable part of space. I won't go into any more plot detail, as I would hate to even reveal a tiny spoiler.

It's also way more out there than A Scanner Darkly. More sci-fi. The drug trips in The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch make the ones in A Scanner Darkly seem extremely tame by comparison.

I can't really do it justice with an explanation, but I definitely recommend it.

[ January 08, 2005, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I will definitely read it.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.