FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kingdom of Heaven trailer -- Orlando Bloom learned to act???

Author Topic: Kingdom of Heaven trailer -- Orlando Bloom learned to act???
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
He can look like a man, at least [Smile] .
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The acting appeared to be coming almost exclusively from Liam Neeson...

I just liked the glimpse of Professor Lupin. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...A movie about the crusades...I wonder which one...
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
He can do it! I always knew he could do it! In a kind of twisted way, I'm a little proud.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Troy. This looked almost identical. Minor differences in the actors, but other than that. . .

And who cares if he can act or not? He's hot. (When he's not blond. I didn't even notice him in LoTR. I didn't notice him till Pirates of the Caribbean when he had normal hair and I asked my husband, "Ooh, who's the hottie" to which he said, "that's the same guy from the LoTR. Well, he wasn't hot in LoTR!)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Five of my best friends are girls. I saw all three LOTR movies with them, and judging from the squealing and giggling he is in fact hot in those movies, at least to 18 year old girls.

I think it's funny they had to glue fake hair to his chest to make him look more manly.

Other than the fact that it's a period piece (OMG Orlando Bloom in a period piece no way! It's new! It's revolutionary! It's...all too predictable) I don't see any similarities to Troy at all. Troy was based on a Homer work, and the actual story is about complex characters, many of which you love but they end up fighting each other (Hector and Achilles).

Furthermore, there isn't a religious element really in Troy, other than the ancient greek diety thing, whereas all of KoH is about religious war. Liam Neeson brings an entirely new quality to the movie that was entirely absent from Troy as well. Sorry, I just don't see the similarities. You can't label the movies as the same just because they happen to take place in the ancient world.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

(I'm saving my reputation)

I am an eighteen-year-old female person and while I admit that Mr. Bloom is attractive, I am not swooning- in fact many eighteen year old females find him far too "pretty", and prefer the more grizzled war-worn look (edit: not me, other people- I like happy people).

I am never the swooning type anyway.

Let me explain this rather odd statement that I am "proud of him": I have a nickname for him. It is 'British Wayside Flower'. British, for obvious reasons, Flower because he's (in the words of some of my friends) "pretty" and Wayside because he always wore that nervous look, the one that said "oh my goodness, I'm famous, how did this happen?" I know all about him (he has/d a dog called Maude) because my friends are psycho and also I write a story every year called the Oscar story which is essentially my friends at the Oscars having a wonderful time (while I cause trouble [Evil Laugh] ). The name BWF was born out of the 2001 edition of this story.

This means I "get to know" the "characters" of my friends' favourite actors (in my story) rather well. The upshot of this is that some of them I am rather fond of in the way that one is fond of one's characters. Therefore, a success for OB(i wan- another nickname *sigh*) is, in a twisted and convoluted way, a nice thing and it makes me happy.

(saves reputation- or ruins it further)

[ January 09, 2005, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

- posted      Profile for Hermocrates of Syracuse           Edit/Delete Post 
He is incapale of facial expression, face it, no pun intended.

I will see it though because Liam Neason is a great actor, and so is Jeremy Irons, other than that, the film will be terrible, the fights overstylized, and the Islamic culture yet again butchered, though not as badly as in Alexander.....

Hermocrates

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
He is incapale of facial expression, face it, no pun intended
Not true. The look he gave Bernard Hill in the Two Towers after Viggo Mortensen had fallen off the cliff was heart wrenching. I've always felt that to be a very emotional moment, and thought it was fantastic acting.

quote:
the Islamic culture yet again butchered
To be fair, this takes place what, more than a thousand years ago? A lot of Islamic culture today isn't exactly what I'd call friendly and peaceful, back then it wasn't any better. I would be saddened if they paint Muslims back then as blood thirsty savages, but likewise I will be apalled if they try and make them out to be wise and peaceful, only forced into war at the hands of bloodthirsty Christians. Sometimes people earn their reputations.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It's a good think Hatrack dumps periodically because a lot of people who weren't 18 were attracted to Bloom as Legolas for a while there. I don't think I would have ever seen the movies if it weren't for the glimpses of him on the preview.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I *only* liked Orlando Bloom as Legolas.

I didn't find him all that attractive in POTC. That may have been because of the distracting presence of Johnny Depp.

*daydream*

(This is Imogen. Tony has no particular views as to Orlando Bloom's hotness, blonde or otherwise).

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
[imogen again]

Ok, now I'm excited!

Alexander Siddig (Dr Bashir from DS9) is also in the film - as Imad. And he looks *gooood* [Big Grin]

I had/have such a crush on that actor. The movie just went up in my must-view list.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Orlando from trailer:

You have my love. And my answer.

Did anyone else think, "my bow and my axe" as well?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the two cancels one rule wiht Orlando Bloom movies. If there are two actors i like in it, like Troy, and Pirates, then i see it.

I think this one counts, cause it's got Liam Neeson AND Lupin AND Jeremy Irons.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It's amazing how much Lupin looked like Lupin in that very brief scene.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice Lupin.

But as to the comments about how the movie will be bad, over stylized etc... its made by the same guy who did Gladiator!! He did an AWESOME job with Gladiator. They may screw it up, but its definately not a sure thing. It looks like it will be pretty good to me.

And a point on the crusades, the crusades were just the Europeans being blood thirsty morons. In a couple of the crusades they carved a bloody swath through EUROPE on their way TO the crusades. Before they even ran into any muslims. In the fourth crusade they never even made it to muslim lands, they were too busy sacking the christian city of Constantinople (sp?). And the Europeans were the invaders in this case, the muslims were just protecting their homes. And actually in this time period, the European christians were violent barbarians, and the muslims, relative to the Europeans anyway, were the enlightened ones. They were busy studying the knowledge of the Greeks and Romans, doing astronomy, doing math, all those things Europe will catch on to in the renesaince (sp?) they get from the muslims and just carry further. The muslims preserved all the ancient knowledge the Europeans start studying, which then kicked off the renesaince.

Now I'm not saying that there weren't wars where the muslims were the aggressor, there certainly were (Spain). But in the case of this movie's subject, they weren't the aggressor.

[ January 09, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Alcon, he's right at the end.

And I hope the point of this movie is to show the Crusades how they were.

Alcon
Member # 6645

Oh I see him now. He had a helmet on, and more beard than he did in Harry Potter, but I recognise him from his voice.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept getting him mixed up with the guy who played Faramir in LOTR. Because he LOOKS like Faramir, even if he sounds different. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alexander Siddig (Dr Bashir from DS9) is also in the film - as Imad. And he looks *gooood*

I had/have such a crush on that actor. The movie just went up in my must-view list

Could not agree more! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Hey, it's about stupid men (living in a time before deodorant and they are always hot and sweaty, yuck) and they are fighting an epic battle using swords, shields and flaming arrows. It sounds just like Troy. Minor plot differences aside, it's a bunch of stinky men killing each other with flaming arrows and swords.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

*fumes*

*refrains from using his large sword to remove the head of the insolent heretic know as Kayla*

[Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

It looks better than Troy ever did, even in Trailer.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Using the theory that men using swords and flaming arrows makes all movies that contain those things the same, I suppose I could say that Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, Lord of the Rings, Timeline and a host of other movies are all just the same thing with minor plot differences. People are just too critical of movies these days.

And is Dr. Bashir supposed to be a Muslim? The British accent might ruin that.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Actually, his real name is Siddig El Fadil and he's half British, half Sudanese.

Still think he can't pull of Muslim?

And yeah those movies are pretty much the same. However, I think the major difference is the location. Troy and what I saw of the Kingdom of Heaven trailer were both set in sand. It's a much different look than the woodsy setting of LoTR and lots of Gladiator. But I'd give you The Mummy. [Wink]

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks a lot like Gladiator. The lighting is very similar in several scenes. Even one of the sets - there's a shot right at the begining that looks identical to the Elysium Fields.

I hope this is a serious historical story. No silly anachronisms, ie the commoner Orlando Bloom marrying that princess.

[ January 09, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Foust ]

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, it would be nice to see something historically accurate- not just in costume and set but in realities.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
The new trailer looks pretty cool. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This does look cool.

Although there is the potential for it to be contraversial... crusades and all... current events... [Angst]

But it still looks cool and Orlando Bloom is a hottie. [Smile]

I read once that the original cause of the Crusades was actually a distress call from Constantinople for aide from Western Europe. The newborn Islamic armies were rampaging in the east and were attempting to invade the Eastern Roman Empire...take Constantinople and then march in and conquer all of Europe. The whole saving the Holy Land was just a recruitment poster used by the Pope and other Kings to get willing troops. That would be cool if the movie was about that!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on which Crusade.

The Muslim nations weren't pacifists by any stretch, but they were far more civilized than their Christian counterparts.

I still find it amusing how the positions seem to have reversed, then and now.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Orlando Bloom.

I am female, eighteen, and straight.

Line up for autographs, please. [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Raia, you beat me to it!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.