FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I look too young!

Author Topic: I look too young!
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, my 17-y.o. brother's friends who saw me with him thought I was his girlfriend. Today, when we were coming back from my grandma, we were approached by JW's. We got 2 booklets, which, as I found at home, are specifically directed at teenagers (at least I learned that if a boy refuses my offer to date him, it means he's not ready for it yet, but respects our friendship [Smile] ).

Maybe if I start wearing make-up?

[ROFL]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I got asked for id when I rented a 15 rated video. When I told the girl at the counter that I was twenty, she laughed and asked me 'if I was sure.' [Roll Eyes]

So far since then makeup is working for me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
People regularly say my girlfriend looks 15 when she's nearly 20. Most people think I look older than I am (20), probably because I already have creases in my forehead. Damn foldy skin! [Razz]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, as long as you look legal, then it's all good. [Razz]

At 29, I still get carded all the time. A real turn off when I'm trying to impress the ladies at a fancy restaurant.

On the bright side, I can still get student discount at AMC theaters. [Smile]

[ January 09, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
People usually think I'm older than I am, but I'm young enough that it's okay. (I'm hoping the trend will reverse when I hit 40... [Razz] )

A few days ago, someone stopped me in the hall of my high school and welcomed me back. I asked what they were talking about, and they thought I had graduated two or three years ago!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
People used to think I looked far older than I was. Now, it has reversed. I also don't wear makeup, so I guess that has something to do with it.

I constantly get treated like "well done! you did it by yourself!" [Roll Eyes] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"at least I learned that if a boy refuses my offer to date him, it means he's not ready for it yet, but respects our friendship"

I didn't know so many Hatrackers respected you. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

but... but... what are you implying?

[Cry]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked older than my age when i was a teenager, then I looked younger than my age until I was 35, and now I just look my age, darn it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get children's menus at restraunts until I was 19. I'm 24 now and most people say I look about 20. I guess it's a good thing... [Dont Know]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... I wouldn't refuse a date with kama if she asked. I guess that means I don't respect her? [Smile]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia's 18, I'm 14. She thought I was more or less her age when I met her.

I don't have a beard yet! Only a moustache!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Tom, I don't recall asking Hatrackers out on a date. I asked several to marry me, but I suppose it's different.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right, Kama. It's odd that the JW manual doesn't have more to say on the issue of marriage proposals.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It's for teenagers!!!

[Eek!]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Maybe I was confusing them with the Mormons? [Wink] *ducks and runs*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, I've seen you. And while you look very young, I would never peg you as a teenager. I think it's the worldly air. [Wink]

Then again, in 10 years, you'll be glad to look younger than your age.

I never got carded for buying alcohol. These days, I would happily look younger than my age. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have always looked younger than my age. When I was 22 or 24, a 14 year old kid tried to pick me up at a football game.

Looking younger than your age is something you don't really appreciate when you are in your teens and 20's, but start to appreciate more as you get older. [Smile]

Now, I pretty much look my age, because my hair started going grey in my late 20's, and is mostly grey now. I have no doubt that if I dyed my hair I'd look 10 years younger than I am.

Actually, as a result of my grey hair, I was given a senior citizens' discount on a cup of coffee at McDonald's while shopping with my daughter in MA.

I've been thinking I should exploit it. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 17 and every time I go into a restaurant with a bar section and a family dinning section, they always seat me in the bar. I also always get offered alcohol when I am nice restaurants with my parents.

The downside to looking younger is that older guys make a pass at you and you have to explain that you are 5 years younger then they think you are.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
p-Thong, I think you should probably go check the responses on your "Why won't anyone talk to me" thread.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Don't feed the troll.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Benefit of the doubt, Ela. I give everyone one chance. That was his.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I accept that, ElJay. I read all his posts before I posted that. So far, he has added nothing to the forum.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, so did I, and I totally agree with you. [Smile] And I don't really have high expectations that he'll go and read everyone's advice and become a steller member of the forum. But it could happen. *shrug* [Wink]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
People *always* think I'm younger than I am. I don't wear makeup either. I'm sensing a trend here.

And Allegra, nobody ever makes passes at me anyway, so that doesn't apply to me. [Razz]

Well, nobody except desperate taxi drivers (that has happened a few times, yes).

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, are you ignoring mr. Thong
I that's because he was confused by your statement.

"Tom, will you marry me!"

I too have to admit that this puzzles me. Are you willing him to marry you?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't feed the troll.
Damn, I gave him a cookie in another thread. Does this mean he'll grow as big as Tokyo skyscrapers like some horrible B-movie scifi alien-mutant-creature? [Wink]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yes.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he'll just want a glass of milk to go with it.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you read "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"? That's the central moral of the whole story! That you should never, ever, ever give anything to anyone!
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*gives Verily a hug*
Raia
Member # 4700

Jebus, your mother just proposed to Tom.

Might want to look into that.

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

I never though about it that way, Verily. I always thought the moral of the story is that mice should not be encouraged. I suppose you're right that the story doesn't facilitate a giving attitude.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
p-thong, it's an allegory. Don't be so sensitive.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut him some slack....he must be chafing really bad right now.... [Razz]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in 7-9th grade, I probably looked younger than I really was. At least, when looking at pictures and stuff, I think I looked younger, although they may just be because I looked younger than I am now so...

Then I lost a lot of weight and people started thinking I was a senior last year (I was a sophomore). So...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, welcome to the club. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
People think I'm older than I look, kind of a funny thing, really. At 13 I was always being asked from people to see my driver's liscense, at 14 I was being sent to doctors who only dealt with adults, now I'm 15, so far all that's happened is a doctor just blew off my being a bit younger than what he treated... Let us see what happens for the rest of the year?
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I always looked older when I was a teenager. When I was fifteen, I could regularly buy alcohol without getting carded. I developed early in terms of, erm, facial and bodily hair. I often dated women/girls older than me, and I remember going out to dinner with my girlfriend when I was eighteen and she was 21. The waitress asked me if I wanted a drink, looked at her, and said "Though I'm sure you're too young." Man, was she ticked! I had other experiences like that . . . one with a friend (since deceased [Frown] ) in Atlanta who was twenty-one when I was eighteen or nineteen. I was given a drink without being carded, she was carded, and she did not have her ID because she was not driving.

When I turned 21, I desperately wanted to get carded, but nobody would!

But now, like some of the others, I seem to look younger than my age . . . at least when I shave I do. I remember when I posted the link to that cast picture from Barefoot in the Park last year, everyone kept saying I looked younger than they imagined. I got a lot of comments on that IRL too.

(Which makes this perhaps as good a place as any to announce that Cor and I have both been cast in Harvey! [Smile] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
At my last high school, our drama teacher's husband had to step in when a guy and his understudy both dropped out of the play. He's in his 30s, and the lead girl started hitting on him, thinking he was fifteen.

I'm seventeen and the people at Hot Topic are convinced I'm eight years old. Mainly because whenever I go there I run around going "Cool! I want one of these!"

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I look about my age. Christine, on the other hand, looks a little more than a decade younger than she really is--generally people assume that she's in her early 20s (she's 35). At the high school she taught at last year, a number of students who weren't in her classes apparently thought that she was a new student, as did the receptionist in the school's office.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17. When people meet me, they usually assume I'm a 14 year old that hit puberty early, like at 10. I don't really know what to think about that...but I like freaking people out when I offer to drive.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
People think I had my son when I was 13 or something. I don't want to hear about it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine tends to go the other way. I'm 20, but everyone assumes I'm like 26, probably because i have a little goatee thing, I guess it makes me look older.

But it's VERY annoying when 19 year old girls won't date me because they think I'm way too old for them. And it was very embaressing when I was still dating my ex girlfriend, who was 17 when I was 19, but she looked 15 to most people. So, you can imagine how weird it was for a girl who looked 15 (supposedly) and a guy who looked 27 (supposedly). Age guessing sucks.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.