FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can I share a little pride?

Author Topic: Can I share a little pride?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife Teresa, who has been terrified of needles her whole life, decided to give blood yesterday. I went with her and provided moral support the whole time but it was her decision and she got through it like a pro.

It's a casual thing for a lot of people -- like me, for example -- but I know how much this cost her to do and I am incredibly proud of her.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
She has overcome something I have been unable to overcome yet.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Go her! That is mega brave!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Mrs. Bridges!

Last time I gave blood (my first time in many years), I passed out right at the very end so they couldn't use it for actual patients (but they assured me it could be used for research, etc).

I'm very proud of anyone who overcomes such a fear. My hugemongous (6 foot, 250 lb) little brother passes out at the sight of needles. So tell Teresa that she is braver than a knight! (he's a tournament fighter)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Teresa!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. What porter said.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
More power to your wife, Chris!

I was absolutely fine with needles all my life, until I went to the hospital for a scan a few months back and had to get an IV. I don't know whether it was the nurse's fault since she couldn't get the needle in my left arm after poking around for a while, so she had to switch,
(which worried me,) or just a sudden anxiety attack....
I almost passed out and then proceeded to throw up.
Since I've never had any problem with needles (and had an IV earlier last year for my wisdom teeth extraction) i feel like there must have been *something* the nurse did wrong... [Dont Know]
my dad says there is a needle-allergy condition...hmm..

that being said, i want to go give blood, but i'm worried about a reoccurrence. At least i don't have a life-long fear like Teresa!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a weirdo, I like needles, a bit of pain... it's quite a contradiction but a little pain feels good.

Problem with me is that I stop bleeding if they poke me... I need poked in three different veins just to get one bag filled.

But congrats, that's quite a feat!

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I have been suffering with the guilt of the non-giving of blood for years. Now, as soon as I feel up to it, I am going to give blood every chance it is safe for me to do so. I had so many needles poked into me, so many times a day, that I am over my fear. I understand Teresa's terror, and her courage.

Go Teresa!

[ January 09, 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to your wife....

I always had a huge fear of needles too, but the funny thing is that when I got pregnant with my first daughter the whole needle thing became moot...

seeing as how you have to give blood for this test and that test...

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Teresa, go !
I used to be terrified by needles too. Now that I give my blood and my plasma and my plaquettes, I'm sort of used to, even if I hate that. I guess that could help one day or another.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool, Chris. I am currently too freaked out to give blood because the last two times I did, they either never found the vein after five minutes of digging, or else I have too little blood and the bag didn't fill up completely so they had to toss it.

Tell her congratulations! [Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooh! Congrats to her.

I'm also a stress-case when I give blood. My success/failure is something like 5 versus 3. Much better now that I go to the actual blood center instead of the gymnasium set-ups.

I've been meaning to go, but last semester I was doing so much lub-dub training I was afraid of losing practice days. And right now I have a very sore throat. So as soon as I'm healthy, I'll troop on over. And chatter incessantly with the nurse trying to forget about that large large needle poking me.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to her!!!

I've never been terribly fond of having blood taken. Up until a couple years ago, it was always really difficult for them to get a vein. Now that the process is easier for me enough that I'd actually want to donate, I can't - since I lived in Europe they won't take my blood. [Frown]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome. I'll think of her when I'm doing my injections in a couple of weeks.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also proud of her - I understand it completely. When I was 18 I had to have a shot and I hyperventilated. My phobia about needles was extremely severe.

Then, when I decided to get married, I had to have a blood test at the county health department. I went in, bared my arm, and told myself that I was about to be an adult, married woman and I had to get past this.

Sitting still and not getting upset was one of the hardest things I ever did! But, like Teresa, I got through it, and I've been able to tolerate needles reasonably well ever since.

Congrats to Teresa - she shouldn't only be applauded for overcoming a very tough fear to overcome, but she did it for the sake of others.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really nervous the first time I was going to give blood (I had just turned 17--the minimum age), and was trying really hard not to cry when they put the needle in. My RA was holding my hand the whole time, and after a minute or two after they stuck me I remember saying, "hey, this isn't so bad."

My RA said, "Well, you're not feeling anything. They had to take the needle out."

>.<

My dad told me about how he has elusive veins that are kind of off to the side instead of right in the middle of his arm. They needed two different needlepokers on both arms to try and put the thing in me, only to find that no blood came out when they finally managed it. So it seems that unless my people were particularly inept, I have the same tendency as my dad. [Frown]

[ January 10, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
After two pregnancies and assorted health problems, Teres is no stranger to needles. Doesn't change the fact that she gets cold sweats as soon as the nurse comes towards her. It also doesn't help that she has teeny veins that always result in a gaggle of nurses huddling around her, trying to find or create one.

She seemed OK with it afterwards and will probably do it again. It didn't hurt that it was at a bloodmobile in front of Chik-Fil-A and by donating she got free breakfast coupons [Smile]
Also I brought lunch and dinner Saturday and let her build up her strength. Positive conditioning is a powerful thing.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a "problem donor" ever since I was 17. It seems my veins don't exist in either arm, so they have to poke around with a needle until they happen to hit something that bleeds. Then my blood clots before the bag gets filled, so they have to coax the blood out. I imagine it's quite humorous to see three nurses in white coats surrounding my blood donation chair cheering on my blood donation to finish within 18 minutes so they can use it. "Come on, blood, you can do it! Just a few more millilitres to go!" and "Push it out, push it out, waaaay out!" aren't phrases often heard at blood drives, but I get it every time. But I do try to go every 56 days or so. I guess that even with all the trouble I don't need it as much as others do.

Anyway, congrats to Teresa! [Hat]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
What a brave soul!

We have a lifetime of growth open to us. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go. I know they have really been seeking donations. I can't because I lived in Europe too long. Even though I was a vegetarian for much of the time I was there.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember how good it felt the first time I got to give blood. I was like! WHOA! I'm a blood-giving machine! Sure you don't want a few more pints?

But I'm sure your wife wasn't like that, which makes it a hundred times better. Congrats Mrs. Bridges!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool [Smile] .

I'm also under the "can't because I lived in Europe" category [Frown] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Many congrats to your fine woman! I'm can pretty much donate the way a soda machine dispenses Cokes, but I'm always left in awe of the people who come in to donate, shaking and wondering just what the heck they're doing in that little motor home with extra recliners. Next thing you know, they're sipping on the little juice cups. Getting past the first few times is so inspiring.

I got lucky as a kid. My mom was a Med Tech who drew blood for a living. I was raised with the understanding that as soon as I hit 110lbs I WOULD be donating. Kinda makes it easy to make the ?choice?.

I'll buy her lunch when she marks her first gallon!

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for Teresa! *applauds* And Chris, good for you for being so supportive. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Doc - I'm the same way. Never a problem, no dizziness, nothin'. But one of the first times I donated I went with my boss at the time, who was a big muscular guy, and he passed out the second he stood up afterwards. Ya just never know...
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Teresa!!

I haven't gotten over that fear yet either, though I hope to someday.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.