FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize. (Page 10)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, for what it is worth, I agree with what you said just there. ^^
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What you're missing, Joe, is that the actual extreme -- "we don't like newbies, and think they're all scum who deserve hazing" -- is an opinion that doesn't exist at Hatrack at all. So those of us who share your opinion find ourselves representatives of an "extreme" which is, rationally, actually the middle ground. [Smile]

The choice on Hatrack is between being reasonably welcoming of all newbies and absolutely welcoming of all newbies. When put that way, some of the arguments on this thread come off as pretty basic hyperbole.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not talking about MY rather pointed post are you, Major Tom?

Cuz heresy ain't never hyperbole.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I agreed with Icky, too. [Wave]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I a total egomaniac for thinking Icky was essentially agreeing with my first post?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I thought I agreed with Ralphie, too. [Hail]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I a total egomaniac for thinking Icky was essentially agreeing with my first post?
At this point I don't see how that could tip the balance one way or another. [Razz]

[ January 14, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I'll assume you meant "don't see".

You're right, of course. Good thing I'm so charming, witty, sexy and well-intended or I might have an overinflated opinion of myself.

Whew!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I, on the other hand, maintain a humble view of myself via continual typing errors.

Otherwise I'd be insufferable.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Always look on the bright side of life, hey Dag?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

::grins::
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are perfectly right. I apologize for any hurt or upset I caused. I was thinking out loud. What I realized (understand that what I'm saying is nothing at all like what people seem to say I'm saying... just I happen to know that it happens over and over that really cool nice people like I3 get turned off here at the very start by snideness and humor which is not intended as nasty as it comes off, but which to a new person it totally IS that nasty) Anyway, there I go trying to explain again when this post is really just to say that I realized .... and it took me totally by surprise... but what I said is exactly true.

I have no interest in coolness. I'm not cool. It's something that seems to be important here now. I really and truly honestly just don't belong.

I should have come to this realization quietly and slipped away unnoticed. I apologize for that too. I just blurted out what I was thinking. It took me by surprise. Best wishes to all. I enjoyed my seven years here.

Oh, and my profoundest thanks to all the prayers and good wishes for Sasha. I wanted to let you know that he's doing absolutely awesome lately and I know your prayers were a part of that.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<hugs to all>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[ January 15, 2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I don't understand how you could think you don't belong here, Tatiana. It doesn't make sense to me. Although it's not like you owe me an explanation or anything, so I'll just say this. If you decide to leave, I for one will miss you. I suspect many others will, too. I also hope you'll come back. But I'd rather you didn't leave.

Having said that, you have to do what you feel is best, but if you do decide that you won't be here anymore, then just make sure that it's because it's what you want and will bring you happiness, not because you think you don't belong.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I have no interest in coolness. I'm not cool. It's something that seems to be important here now.
I hope this opinion isn't based on my post about status, because if it is then I believe you entirely missed my point.

But like I said before, you leaving makes it a dark day. Find happiness, Anne Kate.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate, the door is always open, and there will always be a lot of work and play to do here. Coming back or changing your mind now wouldn't mean you owe anyone any explanations. Remember that.

As for me, I'm going to hold some Tatiana in my life, if I may. [Smile] I still have a lovely, lovely long letter which has sat on my desktop far to long without a real reply.

((((((Tatiana)))))), who will continue to be the soul and spirit of Hatrack to me.

[ January 15, 2005, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I also agree with Icarus' posts.

Which is not a suprise, really, since he's completely right.

*RIGHT ON!*

[ January 15, 2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((Tatiana)))))), who will continue to be the soul and spirit of Hatrack to me.

She forgot to italicise the most important word!

[ January 15, 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I a noob?

[ January 15, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds quidscribis*

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I a noob?
I think only you can answer this question. I remember it being said that if you have to ask the question, the answer is "yes". [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I withdraw my endorsement from Icarus as a pillar of the community. Unless he does some serious editing. I think the ethic of not editing is okay for those who never have an emotional outburst, but for the rest of us mortals I think it would be best.

I'm not siding with Tatiana either. Edit: See how easty that was?

[ January 15, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty funny that someone can pretend to be all inclusive and yet can tell me that I'm incredibly stupid to smoke tobacco no matter how little I do it.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me sad.

Perhaps we should have a welcome committee, a person or persons who do initial greetings when they see a new poster, and, if necessary, point them in the right direction of Hatretiquette, instead of everyone either ignoring or leaping on a bad or misplaced first post.

If this doesn't seem like too crazy an idea (if it is, just say), I'd be honoured to be part of a Hatrack greeting group.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
But what if you miss someone? I guess you can always assign yourself a mission of greeting new people. One way to keep on top of it is to click on a profile and change the last few numbers in the address line. That will take you to the profile of whatever member number you choose. From there you can check their last posts.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'm not sure that I can say anything here without the thread gyrating into a love/hate fest, with everyone complaining or complimenting Icarus or Tatiana.

Let's remove the people and look at the ideas they represented. The bulk of Tatiana's argument is that we should be automatically accepting of the new folks. From what I understand of Icarus' POV, such a stance is not really practical, or even neccessary. Communities DON'T give automatic acceptance, though Hatrack does very, very good at welcoming n00bs on the whole.

In my interpretation, there's nothing wrong with either of these points of view-- I happen to think Icarus' is more correct, though.

Icarus, please let me know if I've gone wrong somewhere with this.

So, in practical terms, where are we now? :grin: The same place we started, more or less. Ten pages of. . . topical meandering, really. But we never get anywhere with this topic. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Jatraqueros need to accept that some n00bs are going to come in, prejudices blazing, and someone's going to have to take them down to protect the integrity of the forum. And when that someone complains, some other Jatraquero will be around to soothe and smooth folks' feelings.

:shrug:

That's life. Get on with it.

[Evil Laugh]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Topical meandering and Ralphie worship. You can't forget the Ralphie worship.

I think another point that I made earlier but it was so long ago, I don't mind making it again, is that part of being a community is that some are inevitably more connected than others. Or the quality of the connection is different.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I withdraw my endorsement from Icarus as a pillar of the community
I don't think anyone is or isn't a "pillar" due to anyones endorcment...or lack of one either. My idea of a pillar of Hatrack doesn't have to mesh with anyone else, precisly because this isn't a popularity contest.

It is a place where we meet to discuss things and meet people we normally wouldn't meet IRL.

ak, you can leave if you want, but I will miss you. I am not asking you to stay though, as that is a personal decision.

Keep in mind that you had PLENTY of people mentioning how important you were to them here, and saying that they loved you and your attitude.

Even Icarus said that you, or your views, were necessary for this place to work, that it had to be a give and take for it to work.

It takes all sorts of people to make an on-line community work, and if everyone has to agree with you on this then that isn't a very flexible position to have. Not a lot of give and take there, you know what I mean? I wouldn't want to be here if I had to be nice and welcome all the CS's, BC's, and other trolls (or wannabe trolls). It wouldn't;t be worth my time or effort because they disrupt the place too much.

But if everyone was always in my face then it wouldn't be much fun either. I gave each of those kids a chance, which I wouldn't have bothered to do IRL, probably, because I DO feel that we have an obligation to ourselves and to others to try to welcome anyone who is willing to contribute in a meaningful way.

If you feel that you don;t fit here, that is your business. But NOBODY is universally loved, at least not to the point of everyone agreeing with everything someone says on this topic.

If a ton of people posting and praising you can't make a difference the I don't know what will.

Good Luck with whatever you do, and I hope to see you back soon.

Kwea

[ January 15, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

- posted      Profile for Bork   Email Bork         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, being a newbie and considering this is my first post I thought I should introduce myself here, in the proverbial lions den.

I'm not joining the forum to try and make people angry or be controversial I have just been a fan of Orson Scott Card's work for about seven years now.

It's horrible how people feel the need to try and damage communities of people who simply wish to talk with like minded people and just as often people who aren't like minded but can express themselves in an intelligent, intellectual way.

It's also sad that people can not feel comfortable enough with themselves to have a sense of humor and be so easily offended. My own name is a bit of a joke, the character Bork in The Bulley and The Beast who was very kind but also a bit clumsy and large much like myself. :-)

I hope to be active on these forums and become an accepted member of the hatrack community and also I wish for constructive crticism on my forum etiquette as I have never been a regular poster on a forum.

On a side note, I think it would be a good idea to make new forum members answer a simple question about one of OSC's books, ask them what book they liked best and if they say Alvin Maker series ask them a simple question like 'Who died in the Hatrack River?' Would weed out some of the stupid people...

[ January 15, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Bork ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Not everyone here has even read a Card book. Some are here because friends recommended the site. Some read OSC's columns. Some came from Ornery. Lots of people. The endless fandom, speculation, questions about OSC's books is on the other half of the forum. We sometimes get to help with new books, too.
Kayla
Member # 2403

D*oh. And welcome. [Wave]
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Bork! I am only familiar with the Supreme Court nominee Bork, but I liked his beard.

We have had a couple of members who hadn't read OSC. TMedina was one. So it's not an absolute requirement. Though I think it would be as odd as someone choosing not to eat chocolate. [Wink] <---doesn't eat chocolate.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Wow, talk about your freaks. [Eek!]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
someone choosing not to eat chocolate.
I have a funny story to tell about me mother. Shall I post it?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

What a n00b. [Roll Eyes]

You don't ask permission. You just post it, apologize for posting it, then delete it in a huff.

Sheesh, get with the program. [Big Grin]

Bork
Member # 7283

I'm not a big chocolate fan either, and any person who has read Ender's game and said they don't like the book need an examination, it can't be normal. I know people who detest science fiction and love Ender's Game. [Hail]

Edit: P.S. Mother Tree, I suggest highly you read the short story Bulley and the Beast in Maps in a Mirror, in my opinion one of Card's best short stories.

Edit2: Wow, I spelled Bully wrong in 2 seperate posts....heh heh, correct name is BULLY and the beast.

[ January 15, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Bork ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Okay, but I'm trying to gt over the Hatrack Puppy status.

My grandmother gives us (my brother and I) some chocolate, usually made overseas from fine ingredients.

So I merely put it in the fridge. The following day I notice one little block of subsance remains; a quick investigation, handled by my brother - leads to my mother. She immediately apologises and puts a new packet in the fridge (lower quality, of course).

The next day, the packet's gone. Look here, look there, look all around - nada. Let's just say that when my mother asks me for chocolate, I tell her it's unhealthy (she's in to it now). She still owes me a packet of expensive Lindt's finest "Sweet cherry jelly inside" Swiss.

JH

Bork
Member # 7283

Heh heh, my Mother told me when she was a teenager, the doctor told her not to eat any more sweets. Well, one day she was walking through a store eating a candy bar and the doctor caught her. Took her candy bar and walked through the store eating the rest of it... [No No]

I've met the doctor before, he still practices, he's one of my favorites and the only person I would let stitch my head when I was a kid.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Bork. I recognized the name from the short story immediately, and actually wondered if it would end up being from somewhere else. Over the years there have been a number of people whose names could have been from OSC stories but weren't. Have fun, make friends, and be cautious Hatracking when eating or drinking, unless your monitor and keyboard have protective coatings.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I agree with Papa Moose's first sentence.

"Mom, why are you eating chocolate? It's 'not healthy' (in a mocking tone)."

"Oh, um... This is sugarfree."

"Yes, so? Sugar gives you energy!"

"And it makes you go fat. This is sugarfree...!"

"Yes, (flipping the packet) but it has 31% fat in it. This is not confiscated!"

[ January 15, 2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Bork
Member # 7283

It's funny you said that, I read the post and am now typing while eating a bowl of cereal. [Laugh]

I also assume you are the Papa Moose personified in The Crystal City and mentioned in the Aftword, which is very cool.

[ January 15, 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Bork ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I also assume you are the Papa Moose personified in The Crystal City and mentioned in the Aftword, which is very cool.
Please elaborate...?
Kayla
Member # 2403

Not only is it cool, so are Moose and Squirrel.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Am I losing track here?
Bork
Member # 7283

In the book The Crystal City there was a character named Papa Moose, based off a real person who won a trivia contest at Endercon the prize was oringinally a cameo appearance however OSC turned him into a major character, and the character was named after winners forum persona Papa Moose, so the person who started this thread and who I refer to is the person who won it apparantly.
Kayla
Member # 2403

(And his wife is Mama Squirrel, who also posts here and was his wife in the book.)

And I have a signed copy and am in the acknowledgments section. I'm so cool. [Wink]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Bork.

As you might well see, some of us are those who choose our names. TomDavidson, for instance (several honour/humour threads for him), Sara Sasse (who is the gate to Hatrack's holy shrine), Bob_Scopatz, Annie, Anna, I etc.

And some choose psudonyms, such as yourself, Bean Counter, Papa Moose etc.

Why am I writing this?

Kayla
Member # 2403

w00t! I got the 500th post!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I got my 603rd.

[ January 15, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

I meant the 500th post of this thread.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Jonathan - You know, I kind of like your enthusiasm and sociability. It's very endearing. So, when I say this I say it with love: think, then post, Spanky. You'll save yourself all these confused "What?? What's going on!?" posts.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.