FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize. (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I actively don't want to know. I'm not that old.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh.
I want to know.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Maybe we can use sealed discovery so I can find out and not tell my client. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I should edit my posts??

I phrased that badly Icarus. I only ever said you were a pillar of the community to kiss your butt so you'd think I was cool (being honest here). I just never should have said that, and I should have retracted it in a way that didn't require anything from you. I'm sorry for that.

The thing I was reacting to is that you said "**** you" and after that came many posts where people said they agreed with you. Perhaps they weren't expressing support for that particular statement. I'm pretty sure they weren't. I just wanted to make clear that I didn't support that.

I do stand by something else I said, that you are not a cliquey type. I am. I accept that. I'm not going to be one of those cliquey types that insists there are no cliques.

I'll say on the general topic of cliques that they can be defined either by who is in them or by who is not in them. I try to use the former definition, because I think the later definition is where people get hurt more.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it okay to be a cliquey type if my clique has really low standards?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sure. The punclique has the lowest standards of all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I resent that statement, Dag! Our standards for low standards are high! Plus, I would love it if Tom joined the pun clique every now and then. His humor is too dry, though. I guess that makes our humor wet.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I have neither the wit nor the skill for puns.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Are you saying your linguistic humor skills aren't puny enough?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can respect that, Trish.

(Notice that I like to use people's other names as a way of seeming cool. :-p )

For what it's worth, I love that you and I often disagree and can still like each other as people and respect each others' viewpoints. If Hatrack didn't bring together people of such differing backgrounds, I would never know your delightfully warped sense of humor and your generous, virtuous personality.

I think you're very cool. [Cool]

(And I'm glad you're back here by the way. Interacting with people only on other forums seems lacking to me . . . it's only partial interaction.)

[ January 20, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only ever said you were a pillar of the community to kiss your butt so you'd think I was cool (being honest here).
http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/Flattery/1/

On the upside, George Bernard Shaw said, "Always let your flattery be seen through for what really flatters a man is that you think him worth flattering."

Oooo...I like this one.
quote:
Take no repulse, whatever she doth say; For 'get you gone,' she doth not mean 'away.' Flatter and praise, commend, extol their graces; Though ne'er so black, say they have angels' faces. That man that hath a tongue, I say is no man, If with his tongue he cannot win a woman.
From that page, I realized the perfect word for Slash the Bezerker: gallant. He is always gallant.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Icarus
kat---> [Wave] [Hail] <---me

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I'm not spanking - it just made me think of it. Flattery is flattering - the sentiments may be invented, but the wish to please is real. In a place like this, with no money and no power to confer upon one another, the only reason to flatter is because the person has distinguished themselves enough that their approval is desirable. Even being related to someone admired isn't enough to gather flatterers; Icky has earned his accolades all on his own.

It is, incidentally, one of the things I love about Hatrack. I've always thought that Hatrack was a bit like a well-written play that needs a little editing, and like what I think great literature should be, it's a distillation of humanity.

[ January 20, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrackers tend to flatter those they disagree/fight with but still get along with, much more wildly and extravagantly than those they, in general, agree with and get along with.

i find that fascinating!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that sequence of smilies is just. . . disturbing.

Really.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

So calling Slash gallant isn't flattery? It's just an empirical fact?
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Slash isn't here to read it.
Scott R
Member # 567

Bet he lurks still.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I don't think so. He says he doesn't, and there's no evidence to the contrary.
Scott R
Member # 567

[Smile]

How do you prove an unverifiable abscence?

I'm kidding-- if Slash says he doesn't lurk, he doesn't lurk.

:whispers: But I bet he WANTS to.

mothertree
Member # 4999

If a Slash is gallant on a forum, but he isn't there to read it, did it make any sound?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hatrackers tend to flatter those they disagree/fight with but still get along with, much more wildly and extravagantly than those they, in general, agree with and get along with.

i find that fascinating!

I think this is true.

I think it's because we--perhaps incorrectly--assume that the people we agree with all the time know how we feel about them and don't need to be told. (Sounds like family members who never say "I love you," eh?) Conversely, though--and I think this is a valid observation--people we disagree with may eventually take it personally. They may come to believe that we simply don't like them. And so it feels more important to reassure those people, before they draw that conclusion.

Put in that light, it sure sounds like taking some people for granted, though. :-\

I know, maybe I should start another hug thread . . .

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I go out of my way to flatter people I don't agree with, but I will go out of my way to agree with someone on some point if I ordinarily don't agree with them on everything else.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Eek!] Scott, a married woman!
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
He erased it, but before he did I was pretty sure Scott was talking about me.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Lady Jane thinks she SOOOOOO clever. Heh. Showed her.

quote:
Sounds like family members who never say "I love you,"
"Individually, I love you all with affection unspeakeable."

"Hurrah!"

"But, collectively, I look upon you with a disgust that amounts to absolute detestation."

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
What? What?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Lemme 'splain.

Nah. Never mind. I'll let Ralphie keep her dreams.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please don't! You don't know what they're like, Scott!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Guess who's the monkey in my dreams when Scott posts.

Uh huh.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Yeah, but who's the pony?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Okay, Zan. You can be the pony.
zgator
Member # 3833

Yay!!! [Big Grin]

Oh, wait. Maybe that's not a good thing.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

It's a pretty easy role.

Just one trick to remember.

zgator
Member # 3833

Didn't the donkey die by the end of Bachelor Party?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Does he get to pick the trick?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*haughty sniff* Y'all have one-trick -- uh, one-track -- minds.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Guess who's the monkey in my dreams when Scott posts."

Aren't you known as the Spankmistress in certain circles, Ralphie? Are you implying that...

(edited)

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Kinky!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I just came back from a long time-out.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks out thread*
*runs screaming*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*peeks head in*

Holy moly...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.