FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Common Personal Names (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Common Personal Names
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't some apostles disciples and some disciples apostles but not all? I mean, there were some apostles that weren't disciples and some disciples who weren't apostles?

EDIT: Dag answered it, but I'm leaving the post because it looks cool (what with all those apostles and disciples).

[ January 11, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mark is from the Latin name Marcus.
Spelt also 'Marc'. Add the Latin second-declention nominative suffix 'us' and get Marcus.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Luke (the gospel writer), was not an Apostle-- he is also credited for writing Acts, I believe.

And Luke was also a gentile.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Weren't some apostles disciples and some disciples apostles but not all? I mean, there were some apostles that weren't disciples and some disciples who weren't apostles?
I was under the impression that apostle means "sent forth" and disciple means "student". While all of the apostles were disciples (or, students of Jesus), the term "apostle" generally refers to the 12 appointed representatives he sent out at the beginning of his ministry, and then one later chosen to replace Judas Iscariot.

So, while one could be both, I believe that they aren't entirely interchangable.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that in the Latin vulgate Bible, the writer we call St. Mark was Marcus. Mark is just an anglicisation.

*goes to research*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the term "apostle" generally refers to the 12 appointed representatives he sent out at the beginning of his ministry, and then one later chosen to replace Judas Iscariot.
And Paul.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because Paul received his commission directly from Christ on the Road to Damascus.

More from the Catholic Encyclopedia referenced in my first link, which missed some of the specifics:

quote:
The word "Apostle", from the Greek apostello "to send forth", "to dispatch", has etymologically a very general sense. Apostolos (Apostle) means one who is sent forth, dispatched--in other words, who is entrusted with a mission, rather, a foreign mission. It has, however, a stronger sense than the word messenger, and means as much as a delegate. In the classical writers the word is not frequent. In the Greek version of the Old Testament it occurs once, in III Kings, xiv, 6 (cf. ibid., xii, 24). In the New Testament, on the contrary. it occurs, according to Bruder's Concordance, about eighty times, and denotes often not all the disciples of the Lord, but some of them specially called. It is obvious that our Lord, who spoke an Aramaic dialect, gave to some of his disciples an Aramaic title, the Greek equivalent of which was "Apostle". It seems to us that there is no reasonable doubt about the Aramaic word being seliah, by which also the later Jews, and probably already the Jews before Christ, denoted "those who were despatched from the mother city by the rulers of the race on any foreign mission, especially such as were charged with collecting the tribute paid to the temple service" (Lightfoot, "Galatians", London, 1896, p. 93). The word apostle would be an exact rendering of the root of the word seliah,= apostello.

II. VARIOUS MEANINGS

It is at once evident that in a Christian sense, everyone who had received a mission from God, or Christ, to man could be called "Apostle". In fact, however, it was reserved to those of the disciples who received this title from Christ. At the same time, like other honourable titles, it was occasionally applied to those who in some way realized the fundamental idea of the name. The word also has various meanings.

* The name Apostle denotes principally one of the twelve disciples who, on a solemn occasion, were called by Christ to a special mission. In the Gospels, however, those disciples are often designated by the expressions of mathetai (the disciples) or dodeka (the Twelve) and, after the treason and death of Judas, even of hendeka (the Eleven). In the Synoptics the name Apostle occurs but seldom with this meaning; only once in Matthew and Mark. But in other books of the New Testament, chiefly in the Epistles of St. Paul and in the Acts, this use of the word is current. Saul of Tarsus, being miraculously converted, and called to preach the Gospel to the heathens, claimed with much insistency this title and its rights.
* In the Epistle to the Hebrews (iii, 1) the name is applied even to Christ, in the original meaning of a delegate sent from God to preach revealed truth to the world.
* The word Apostle has also in the New Testament a larger meaning, and denotes some inferior disciples who, under the direction of the Apostles, preached the Gospel, or contributed to its diffusion; thus Barnabas (Acts, xiv, 4, 14), probably Andronicus and Junias (Rom., xvi, 7), Epaphroditus (Phil., ii, 25), two unknown Christians who were delegated for the collection in Corinth (II Cor., vii, 23). We know not why the honourable name of Apostle is not given to such illustrious missionaries as Timothy, Titus, and others who would equally merit it.

There are some passages in which the extension of the word Apostle is doubtful, as Luke, xi, 49; John, xiii, 16; II Cor., 13; I Thes., ii, 7; Ephes., iii, 5; Jude, 17, and perhaps the well-known expression "Apostles and Prophets". Even in an ironical meaning the word occurs (II Cor., xi, 5; xii, 11) to denote pseudo-apostles. There is but little to add on the use of the word in the old Christian literature. The first and third meanings are the only ones which occur frequently, and even in the oldest literature the larger meaning is seldom found.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01626c.htm

[ January 11, 2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yes, and Paul. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*dagnabbit!* a lot of this is redundant to Dagonee's previous post...

AJ

The dude named Mark that wrote the book of Mark was definitely *not* one of "The 12 Apostles" Mack. Not often I tell you you are wrong but I know I'm right on this one [Wink]

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01626c.htm
quote:
The name Apostle denotes principally one of the twelve disciples who, on a solemn occasion, were called by Christ to a special mission. In the Gospels, however, those disciples are often designated by the expressions of mathetai (the disciples) or dodeka (the Twelve) and, after the treason and death of Judas, even of hendeka (the Eleven). In the Synoptics the name Apostle occurs but seldom with this meaning; only once in Matthew and Mark. But in other books of the New Testament, chiefly in the Epistles of St. Paul and in the Acts, this use of the word is current. Saul of Tarsus, being miraculously converted, and called to preach the Gospel to the heathens, claimed with much insistency this title and its rights.
In the Epistle to the Hebrews (iii, 1) the name is applied even to Christ, in the original meaning of a delegate sent from God to preach revealed truth to the world.
The word Apostle has also in the New Testament a larger meaning, and denotes some inferior disciples who, under the direction of the Apostles, preached the Gospel, or contributed to its diffusion; thus Barnabas (Acts, xiv, 4, 14), probably Andronicus and Junias (Rom., xvi, 7), Epaphroditus (Phil., ii, 25), two unknown Christians who were delegated for the collection in Corinth (II Cor., vii, 23). We know not why the honourable name of Apostle is not given to such illustrious missionaries as Timothy, Titus, and others who would equally merit it.

Under the larger definition yes both Mark and Paul qualify, but not on the narrow definition of "The Twelve"

http://home.it.net.au/~jgrapsas/pages/Apostles.html

Who Mark was:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm08.htm
http://www.cryingvoice.com/Christian_martyrs/Mark.html
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09672c.htm

[ January 11, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Paul replace someone else.... am I way off base?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The penguins obviously have stolen my brain.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a list of the apostles, just for reference:

• Simon (Peter)
  • Andrew (Peter's brother)
  • James (John's brother)
  • John
  • Bartholomew
  • Philip
  • Thomas (Didymus)
  • Matthew
  • James the Less
  • Thaddaeus (Judas, not Iscariot)
  • Simon the Zealot
  • Judas Iscariot
  • Matthias (replaced Judas Iscariot)
And Paul.
Prof. Castelli would be so proud of me.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Annie - A reference I have states, "Since the apostle James (the brother of John) was not killed until about the year 44 C.E., 'the twelve' were yet alive at the time of Paul’s becoming an apostle. He nowhere includes himself among such 'twelve,' while at the same time he acknowledges no inferiority in his apostleship compared with that of such ones." - Insight on the Scriptures, V.1 pg 127.

I don't think he was a replacement.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Interesting, upon further googling some Greek and Coptic orthodox sites do give St. Mark the title of "Apostle" but I can't find it on any straight Catholic sites. Even if he is an apostle like Paul, as said before, he isn't one of "The Twelve".

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, does anyone know the Aramaic word for an apostle? I'd like to relate that to the Hebrew. (Hey, I might be an Israeli, but one who knows Hebrew well enough to understand Aramaic! Thank my teacher, Dr Shim'oni, for teaching me much in inter-Semitic morphology, and some suffixes' morphological semantics.)

Cheers,
JH

[ January 11, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I need to change the title to "Apostles' Names' Etymology", how do I do that?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

edit your inital post on the first page. You can change the title at that point, but I don't think you need to, most threads morph...

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have the opposite. I have an English name in addition to my real name because no one could ever pronounce my real name. Jaime is my English name, Chaim is my real name.
Not no one. [Wink] I can pronounce it just fine. [Big Grin]

quote:
What makes a name a Hebrew name?
Tradition, mostly. (Of course, all traditions have to start somewhere, which brings us to your second question.)
quote:
Can non-Hebrew names become Hebrew names?
Yes. Alexander is a good example of this. (In Hebrew, it's ah-lek-SAN-der)

quote:
How much of a requirement is it?
See here, here, and here.

quote:
I love the name Mathias (with one t). We're naming a son that.
*blink* Already?!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those kick ass indavidual names, Logan. And the thing i loved about that name was as a kid i would always refer myself to Wolveriene Because thats his name.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

How about Rover?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
This is way off by now in the thread.

I went to school with some kids that's grandparents decided all of their grandchildren should have biblical names. Well these people had five children, that all had several children of their own. Samaritan, Meshach (can't remember spelling), Sarah Jerusha, Moses, Noah, Lazarus, Adam, Charity, and Joesph

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rivka.

Off topic: Is it inappropriate to capitalize somebody's name when they don't do it themselves?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
breyerchic: I personally find it annoying when people do that. Like they're trying to make a point, or showing off their Godliness or something.

I'm not saying that's actually what they think, but that's just what it seems like to me.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: SausageMan ]

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I guess rivka said that she doesn't mind if her name is capitalized in a thread awhile ago, but I might be mistaking...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Is it inappropriate to capitalize somebody's name when they don't do it themselves?
I try not to, I fail occasionally, of course. How about if "rivka" comes at the beginning of a sentence?

"Rivka" is an easy one: Rivka is the name, rivka is the pseudonym, or should I say alias. In a case like mph, you never know what to do...

rivka
Member # 4859

I know some of our lower-casers (xnera, for example) strongly prefer not to have their SN capitalized. But Jonathan is precisely correct: rivka is my SN, and Rivka is my IRL name. I am perfectly fine with people calling me by either -- online or in person.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
sausage man, this family likely was proving their godliness with this.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I made capitalisation easy for you. I'm efficient! I feel good! [Wave]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jaime is my English name, Chaim is my real name.
And all this time I thought that Jaime was a Spanish name.

quote:
rivka is my SN, and Rivka is my IRL name. I am perfectly fine with people calling me by either -- online or in person.
I'm interested to know how people distinguish "rivka" from "Rivka" in person.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* Well, you see, my real name is capitalized . . . [Wink]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Can non-Hebrew names become Hebrew names?

Yes. Alexander is a good example of this. (In Hebrew, it's ah-lek-SAN-der)
Sounds like you are saying that if an Israeli calls a son Alexander and spells it in Hebrew letters, that it makes it a Hebrew name. Or are you just talking about the spelling of it in Hebrew?

Shlomo is a Hebrew name which can be spelled a couple of ways in English, but that doesn't make it an English name...

[ January 12, 2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.