FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow, O'Reilly really is clueless and tasteless

Author Topic: Wow, O'Reilly really is clueless and tasteless
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/10/oreilly.clooney/index.html

Never exactly been a fan of the O'Reilly factor, but wow, the complete disconnect from the facts . . .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, having heard that particular O'Reilly episode, that is totally out of context of what he was saying -- but that doesn't surprise me at all for CNN.

I suggest you go over to FoxNews or O'Reilly's web site and read the full transcript of what was said. He was actually implying that although the left-wing movie stars contributed much to the 9/11 disaster, at that time we had not yet heard anything about them contributing to the tsunami. That was how the whole feud got started, at least.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Could you clarify some things, then:

So he didn't get the aid organization who benefited completely wrong?

So he didn't get that he had exposed not all of the money from the benefit going to charity completely wrong (as the administrative costs had, in fact, been raised completely beforehand)?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Fugu -- I'm not saying that I agree with O'Reilly on this particular issue -- I was only stating that I heard the entire program -- and was suggesting you go to the site and get the transcript of the entire program if you want to get the full story without bias and form your opinion that way.

I have no reason to defend O'Reilly. I just hate this type article saying is it regular journalism.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay, Fugu - I thought I'd look a little deeper into this, because I don't like to be mis-informed either.

Basically what is comes down to is that Bill O'Reilly said that after 9/11 when the celebrities did the big telethon, they didn't keep track to make sure the money actually got to the victims; and that it was mis-managed by Red Cross. He also says his program did an audit of the money from that telethon, which Clooney strongly fought (which would be weird that he would fight it if they weren't investigating the charity it was actually sent to) O'Reilly's

Clooney on the other hand (what a doll!) says it never went to the Red Cross, it went to United Way, and that celebrities shouldn't have to be responsible for tracking where the money went.

So it is a matter of whether you believe Clooney that says it went to United Way, or O'Reilly that says it went to Red Cross and they audited it.

I can't find any site that gives proof of which charity the money from this telethon actually went to: Linky

Overall, though, I think this could actually play out pretty well. Clooney has challenged O'Reilly to participate in this one, and in the end they may end up raising more funds and getting more attention, which is what the tsunami victims need.

FG

fugu13
Member # 2859

The CNN article itself included various press releases that indiciated it went to the United Way and that the administrative costs had been raised in advance.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
A United Way document from October 2001 says that "more than $150 million was pledged as a result of the 'America: A Tribute to Heroes' telethon, which solely benefited the September 11 Fund."
you're absolutely right Fugu -- I missed that entirely. In which case, if that is correct, then O'Reilly definately mis-spoke.

Farmgirl

( [Wink] I know how much you like it when you win..)

[ January 11, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Perhaps its just me, but when someone is slamming somebody (and I'm not talking about you, FG, you don't seem to be slamming anyone to me at all), particularly when one is an influential pundit and demagogue, that one has at least a bit of a responsibility to get things right, at least in some sort of vague, general sense, especially when one's statements can result in less aid for the needy (as they did in the case of the 9/11 fundraiser and quite well might in the case of the Tsunami fundraiser).
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I will be interesting (to me) to see if Bill O'Reilly responds in any way to Clooney's challenge. That will say a lot about the man (good or bad) right there..

FG

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember, O'Reilly was upset that last time when the celebs did the telethon (after 9/11) they were not careful enough about tracking where the money was going. O'Reilly investigated it, and found that there were problems, and made suggestions about how organizations collecting money could avoid these types of problems. The Red Cross (who were not involved in the Celeb thing...but had faced other critisism) decided that O'Reilly had good ideas and would implement them. I don't recall if the United Way ever responded though.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Fugu -- well, O'Reilly DID talk about Clooney's comment, quite at length last night -- much more than is recorded just in his column here, although basically saying the same thing.

quote:
That being said, I am going to do the telethon. NBC is funneling the donations to the American Red Cross (search), which is now a good, honest agency. It's accountable and transparent. And all I have to do is show up and introduce one of the acts. It will probably be Triumph, the insult dog.
So, in the end, Clooney and O'Reilly are both going to be on the telethon to raise money for the tsunami victims. It would be entertaining if they were going to be face -to-face (which they aren't) but either way, it's a win situation if it brings more people of both sides to the event and more money in for the victims.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.