FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Farting Bedpost: descriptive nicknames for people and things

Author Topic: The Farting Bedpost: descriptive nicknames for people and things
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what my nephew says his jr high band calls the bassoon. I busted up when I first heard it. A follow-up Google search revealed that the nickname for the bassoon is quite common.

I don't know why I find scatalogical nicknames so humorous. Must be a maturity thing. ("Flatulent pincushion" is my favorite nickname from OSC's library.)

Anyway, what are some good nicknames for people and things that you've heard?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Prince Charles called the Millennium Dome a "monstrous blancmange." That man has a way with words...
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a blancmange?
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Baptist Church near Carrollton, Texas that easily rivals most professional baseball parks. The minister at my Methodist church took to calling it "Six Flags over Jesus". He also is credited with starting the phrase "The Baptidome" as well.

Both descriptions are most apt. I believe (in all seriousness) that it has a Starbucks.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia Article on Blancmange
To understand Prince Charles' comment, a picture might help:
Blancmange and the Millennium Dome .

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
The First Baptist Church of Orlando is enormous. Some people refer to it as Baptist World.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Amira, I need to tell you how glad I am to have you back. [Smile] Not only did you make a blancmange reference, you made a Millennium Dome reference and linked to Wiki. I miss that.

Stick around, 'k? [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I ever heard of a blancmange was on a Monty Python skit - the one where the blancmange is beating everyone at tennis...

I was sooo confused at first, because I'd never heard of a blancmange, and with the heavy british accents, I wasn't even sure what they were saying. The character dressed as a blancmange didn't help either. Fortunately, I was able to google it out and the confusion went away.

/derail

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I love learning new stuff. Especially about food.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first time I ever heard of a blancmange was on a Monty Python skit - the one where the blancmange is beating everyone at tennis...
Ohhhhhh, that's what that was.

I thought it was a cake or something.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here comes Bernie, one arm as long as the other"

My great grandmother, as she watched a guest approaching the house with nothing in hand. I love this one.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.