FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Purpose of Life (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Purpose of Life
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically speaking, light and heat exist, cold and dark don’t – they are the absence of light and heat.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
And please note that I just used that as an example. We could get into some seriously confusing arguments concerning "evil as the absence of good" and such.
Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

That has been and is a well accepted definition of evil in some theological circles. Popularized by St. Augustine in the fourth century. (Based on neo-platonist philosophy)

[ January 12, 2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you get around the good/evil dependence if you understand good as a matter of propriety and evil as unconcerned with or a deviation from what is proper. We would need to understand belonging and responsibility and those seem to have been lost under the onslaught of salvation religions.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
True, but again I never said Satan is a self-created entity. Merely an existing entity that chooses to take advantage where God is absent. I would submit that God chooses not to be everywhere all at once. Again, so that we could have free will.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

dkw: Right, and I believe that too, but not because darkness in real life is the absence of light.

I hate people who try to use metaphors to "teach" things. That's why I clarified that is was just an example.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: SausageMan ]

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't your momma ever tell you not to say you hate people? [Razz]
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

Yes

[Razz]

[ January 12, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: SausageMan ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It will be much easier to withstand the kind of temptation we experience here due to the removal of doubt, but unless we cease to have free will, won't there still be opposition?
I think we will still have free will, but the potency to act upon things and to be acted upon will be greatly diminished. I think that is one of the reasons we will look upon the long absence from our bodies as a bondage. And I think the only reason it would be easier to resist temptation is because so many of our temptations come because of the needs and desires of the physical body.

D&C 138: 50

50 For the dead had looked upon the long absence of their spirits from their bodies as a bondage.

I think Satan is evidence of the fact that we had free will even before this life and that in such a situation you are bound to have some bad apples.

Evil is. Good is. God stands in judgement over these things and sees that the universe is balanced in the end. He can't force that balance now without removing our free will. Things must play out to their natural end.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

I don't believe in God or Satan because my philosophical system "requires" it, but because it talks about them in the Bible. I know more sophisticated interpretations have said that Satan is only a metaphor. The fact that such a view defines sophistication pretty much says it all in my view.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Relating to older issues, what is Satan's purpose? In Judaism it's quite different from Christianity...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

I don't think Satan has a purpose in the larger sense. There would be disobedience, sin, and evil without any Satan, IMO.

What is Satan in Judaism?

dkw
Member # 3264

I'm gonna warn you in advance Jon, don't assume that you know what all Christians believe on this one.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Christians and Christianity are different, just like Jews and Judaism, and Islam and Muslims.

Careful phrasing spares threads.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, I'll rephrase. Don't assume that Christianity has only one take on this.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I guess, then, that I heard the Catholic way; about Satan being God's rival, or so...?

In Judaism he's the angel who tests all of 'em good men.

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
E.g. Job.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess, then, that I heard the Catholic way; about Satan being God's rival, or so...?
I don't think this is a good way to sum up Catholicism's view on Satan. The word rivalry implies a parity that is non-existent between God and Satan.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

So he tries Job not out of rebellion toward God but because it's his ... uh, employment? I guess that would explain why they are chatting at the beginning, but it raises the problem of God being responsible for what happened to Job in a more direct way than if Satan were acting "independently". Which I realize can also ultimately be traced back to God allowing him to exist (per my view).

What about the serpent in the Garden of Eden?

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I am he *sniff*.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, traditionally, it's not Satan, but one of multiple satans. Synonyms that mean "prosecutor" are common as well.

Trisha, since traditional Judaism absolutely rejects the notion that God could possibly not be responsible for each and every event in the world, clearly He is responsible for the tests that each of us is faced with. And we believe no one is presented with a challenge that he/she lacks the ability to overcome.

The snake was the first manifestation of a prosecutor/tempter, and was external. One consequence of Adam and Eve's choice was the internalization of the Evil Inclination (another term for the same notion).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thank you, R/rivka! I shall inform "the others" (in my class who were also interested). (((Rivka))) (For beig so nice [Wink] .)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rivka" is fine. So is "rivka."

But "R/rivka" is RIGHT OUT!

And you are quite welcome. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technically speaking, light and heat exist, cold and dark don’t – they are the absence of light and heat.
This is most definately the case. Applying this to God and Satan in a clumsy way: Satan is wherever God isn't and since God is everywhere, Satan is nowhere.

That makes sense as an argument [Smile] .

(I might come back to this later, but right now I'm thinking)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Smart thought! (If I may say, I guess I can.)

Never thought of it... Satan is God's absence, so "he" isn't actually "real", or a self-acknowledged entity...

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Teshi, that works if you accept the axiom that God is everywhere.

Absence of heat may not really exist, and yet it can kill our bodies.

BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's see if this makes sense. Heat and light may not exist, but they don't require a belief in them to convey their benefits and usefulness.

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Let's see if we can read that more carefully. Heat and light do exist. It's cold and dark that don't.
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I did misread; no need to be snippy about it. The point I was trying to make remains, so I'll think of a way to clarify it so you think it deserves a response.

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.