FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Homer's nose" An entertainment pet peeve thread. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Homer's nose" An entertainment pet peeve thread.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
In one episode of the Simpsons we learn that all male Simpson have gene that makes them stupid. In another episode of Simpons, we learn that Homer is stupid because a crayon is lodged in his brain.

That just irritates me!

What contradictions or pet peeves have you seen in tv shows, games, and movies?

Oh yeah....there is no way Mario can jump that high!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there are way too many of those to count.
Ever notice that when a baby is born on some sitcoms 3 or 4 episodes later it's suddenly a fully grown wise cracking child?
Worse of all, THE OTHER SIBLINGS HAVEN'T EVEN AGED! Do they HONESTLY think we're stupid or something? Like we're not going to notice this?
They did it on Growing Pains, Fresh Prince, that really stupid show Yes, Dear that annoys the heck out of me and so many others! It's the dippiest, stupidest thing in the universe.
There are other irratating things like this, but I can't think of them at the moment...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's one of the things that make me laught at the Simpsons -- they don't even try for continuity. You just take episode by itself.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Simpson gene makes them failures, not idiots. It's a subtle distinction, but one that lets me live secure in the consistency of the Simpsons.

My favorite annoyance is replacing the actor who plays a character on a show (Darin Stevens being the most famous example).

When they did it with Becky on Roseanne, the original came back for the last season. Everytime somebody sees her for the first time in the episode, they say, "Where the hell have you been."

Oh, and on "That 70's Show," Donna has a little sister for one episode, then she just goes away.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite annoyance is replacing the actor who plays a character on a show (Darin Stevens being the most famous example).
Actually, I'm annoyed when people are annoyed by this. I think it should be perfectly acceptable to replace actors.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I'm annoyed when people are annoyed by my being annoyed by this. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Therfore, you clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me.
Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

- posted      Profile for Daring Rooster   Email Daring Rooster         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What contradictions or pet peeves have you seen in tv shows, games, and movies?

Star Wars...one of the many infernal tinkererings that George Lucas decided to incorporate into the re-re mastered original trilogy; in Return of the Jedi, when the 3 jedi ghosts appear at the end of the movie, the ghost of Anakin is now seen as Hayden Christiansen.

I realize that, of all the so-called "corrections" that George made, this one was perhaps the most necessary - given that he created an impossible setup with the new trilogy...we're shown in the newest Star Wars movies that Anakin was a strapping youth in his early 20's just before he became Darth Vader, yet in Return of the Jedi his ghost (in the un-tampered with version) appears to be pushing 50.

I know all of this intellectually, but AAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!! [Mad] [Mad]

Why must you tamper so with my once-beloved trilogy, Mr. Lucas?!?!

-Chris

[ January 11, 2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Daring Rooster ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Yes, that is irratating, especially when the person looks nothing like the original person.
I hate dippiness factors and shows that are geared around being dippy.
Like Gilligan's Island. There's no point, all the episodes are alike, they are still stuck on that island because of that stupid twerp Gilligan.
Plus, they had that smart professor, Why the heck couldn't he just build a ship or something and then get them off the island? The show would be just one episode then. But, Gilligan would probaly find a way to sink it because he's dumb and that's the whole point. [Mad]
Then you have people who are being chased by some creature who STAND THERE AND WATCH the creature approach them. How dumb is that?
But, that's not even half as irratating as the classic parents are going out, kids decide to have a party, the party gets out of control.
Come to think of it, it's not that unrealistic. My cousins did that one time when My grandmother left for about a week... Drove me mad.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
In Poltergeist II, the oldest daughter (Dominique Dunne) wasn't even mentioned. Granted, Dominique died, but they didn't replace her, or even mention her in the second movie.

And the oldest son on My Three Son got married and was never seen again and they just adopted Ernie and still had only three sons!

Soaps replace actors all the time. It's weird. I hated it when I watched soaps and it's why I stopped watching the young and restless. They replace Jack Abbott with Cliff from all my children! Actually, it's not too bad when they switch actors, and was kind of cool when the actor was only out for a week or so and at the beginning of the first scene they'd say "today, the role of (whoever) is being played by (whatever). Can you imagine them saying "tonight, the role of Sydney Bristow is being played by. . .?"

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

- posted      Profile for Daring Rooster   Email Daring Rooster         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest movie pet peeve has got to be when Hollywood butchers a really good book, in the pursuit of making a movie...

"The Sum of All Fears"
Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan? BEN AFFLECK AS JACK RYAN?!?! Does he look like a Harrison Ford, or an Alec Baldwin?

For those of you who follow Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, I need not explain this obvious display of insolence on the part of the studio...

"Battlefield Earth"
Words fail me. Hubbard must have run laps in his coffin when this twisted wreck of an adaptation hit the big screen.

-Chris

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Worse is what they did to Practical Magic. That was such a great book but the movie was terrible!
Like that whole resurrection scene, what was up with that? It's one thing to add scenes from a movie when it's logical and makes sense, but when the scenes don't add anything to the movie, it's just mutilation!

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Battlefield Earth? A bad adaptation of a lumbering, boring novel--who cares? Besides, Hubbard believed in reincarnation, so any spinning would be as a new person (assuming the Hubbard soul got the memo.)

edit to add: I read a expose of scientology (there are lots of them), and the funniest thing was that if you were invited to join the prestigious "Sea Org", to join you had to sign some ridiculous million-year contract with scientolgy. Like one lifetime of service to a cause is not enough...

[ January 11, 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Besides, Hubbard believed in reincarnation, so any spinning would be as a new person (assuming the Hubbard soul got the memo.)
[ROFL]

Oh.........contradictions don't bother me that much...........but I dislike how in tv shows.........they change something's color.......like in the Simpsons for example........in an episode Bart is wearing a red hat.......you look away and turn back the hats GREEN..........you look away and turn back and its red again.............that annoys me so much.........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [Mad] [Grumble] !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I've read the entire Jack Ryan/John Clark series with the exception of Red Rabbit and at the point that they decided to make Ryan a younger type I didn't have a problem with Ben Affleck. I bigger problems have been them skipping The Cardinal of the Kremlin and killing off the person who is supposed to become FBI director in Clear and Present Danger. I also don't like the way they portrayed Clark CaPD.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Complete character transplants for characters. This usually takes place after a few episodes of a new series as they get the characters down,(although sometimes it happens half way through a movie and you just think 'Huh? What did the original writer do to get sacked?').

We were watching the first episode of CSI last week, and my Mum's going 'Hey, Grissom was a stud? WHAT HAPPENED?' It was pretty funny, but also irritating.

Why can't they just get characters sorted out before they start and then stick to it? I mean, I get character growth, but total change from one episode to another for no reason annoys me. Okay. Rant over now.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

quote:
Battlefield Earth? A bad adaptation of a lumbering, boring novel--who cares? Besides, Hubbard believed in reincarnation, so any spinning would be as a new person (assuming the Hubbard soul got the memo.)

LOL! Well, I never looked at the scientology stuff he came up with, (and don't intend to) so I'll hafta take yer word on that. [Wink]

Still, I always appreciated the satire he wove into his stories. The mission earth decalogy remains one of the funniest series I have ever read...Battlefield earth was similar (though not as funny).

quote:
Chris, I've read the entire Jack Ryan/John Clark series with the exception of Red Rabbit and at the point that they decided to make Ryan a younger type I didn't have a problem with Ben Affleck. I bigger problems have been them skipping The Cardinal of the Kremlin and killing off the person who is supposed to become FBI director in Clear and Present Danger. I also don't like the way they portrayed Clark CaPD.
Yep, I didn't like their skipping over the Cardinal of the Kremlin either...must not have been "action packed" enough for them. Perhaps a weeeee little ole' part of my pet peeve stems from not liking Ben Affleck in anything but comedic roles... [Wink] That's certainly not all of it though...I much prefered the older Ryan.
As for Clark, do you mean that you didn't like Dafoe as the choice?

-Chris

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Complete character transplants for characters. This usually takes place after a few episodes of a new series as they get the characters down,(although sometimes it happens half way through a movie and you just think 'Huh? What did the original writer do to get sacked?').
That's one thing Joss Wheedon does very well. Total character changes, in a believable way. Spike, especially.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. A well thought out and described progression for a character. IMO, Spike's is one of the best character progressions ever shown on TV. Of course, that might just be because I love Spike. [Wink]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Spike's character change really counts - I'm sure Joss Wheddon had it all planned from the first day of filming series one.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wesley's wasn't bad, although there was a bit of discontinuity. Cordelia and Willow's were pretty good, too.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Also, if I recall correctly, Spike was supposed to get dusted in his second episode, but Joss thought he was too much fun to kill.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the dark Wesley in the later episodes.

One question though, why did he start having sex with the Wolfram & Hart lawyer?

Ok, I lied, I have two questions. Joss said Cordelia was written out of the show because he could not think of any more stories for her. Huh?

Is that really true, or was there some kind of contract dispute?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
One question though, why did he start having sex with the Wolfram & Hart lawyer?
Because she was trying to seduce him to join W&H, and he was all alone after the little mixup with Connor.

Plus she was willing to dress up like Fred.

No idea on the Cordelia question.

Dagonee

vwiggin
Member # 926

"Plus she was willing to dress up like Fred."

I see.... [Embarrassed]

Thanks Dags. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have more problems with Clark being depicted as a mercenary than with the casting itself, but I thought Liev Schreiber was a much better fit for the role. The real problem with The Sum of All Fears is that now they really can't continue the movies as a series following the books because the whole young Ryan thing makes no sense. They really just should have kept him middle aged and if they needed a main character to be involved in more action they could have just given Clark a lot more to do. The other thing they left out of Sum of All Fears was Bill Clinton getting disintegrated. Unfortunately, I think its just going to get harder and harder to make the Clancy books into movies because they're so long, the exception is Teeth of the Tiger because that was shorter and in fact they could actually make the movie better than the book pretty easily.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It drives my husband crazy when people drop things or throw them and never retrieve them. Then sometime later in the show they mysteriously have the thing in their pocket again.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember Richie Cunningham's older brother?

I hate time travel shows where they emphasis that one change in history will have shocking retributions, then loose all continuity between episodes--which is why I prefer B5 to TNG. Heck, even DS9 did time travel with a bit on continuity.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Worse is what they did to Practical Magic. That was such a great book but the movie was terrible!
Like that whole resurrection scene, what was up with that? It's one thing to add scenes from a movie when it's logical and makes sense, but when the scenes don't add anything to the movie, it's just mutilation!

It's a travesty what they did to that book. I threw up inside my mouth a little when the aunts told Sally to go inside and practice her spells. Sally has a pottery store? The stupid phone tree. So awful. I'd rather see Rob Schneider as a stapler.

quote:
Anybody remember Richie Cunningham's older brother?
His name was Chuck. Andrew tells me about him every other day - it's unbelievably annoying.

My entertainment pet peeve is all the gun inaccuracies in almost every single movie and t.v. show I have ever seen. The worse one is when they have law enforcement officers call magazines clips. IT'S A MAGAZINE! (Clips don't have springs.) A close second is the incorrect grip that almost every actor has. Don't these shows and movies have weapons consultants? I could go on and on. The worst part is that it makes everyone feel like they know how to use a gun and that is very dangerous.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Holding a gun sideways is a good way to get a shell casing in your eye. And the thumb behind the slide? Good way to lose it.

Edit: And don't get me started on movies where the hero is throwing guns away and pulling a new one out.

Sheesh!

[ January 11, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Actually my problem with guns is when people go flying after they get hit by a bullet. Its too bad they don't seem to do that in war movies, can you imagine a Revolutionary War or Civil War battle where one side lets loose a barrage and the front row of the other side goes flying in the air?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the thumb behind the slide? Good way to lose it.
Yeah, I made that mistake once. Bled like a stuck pig.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I twitch a bit when men shove guns down their pants.

Hee! Rob Sneider as a stapler! [ROFL]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I was practicing a drill where you go from shooting one-handed to two hands and I was trying to beat my best time, so I got sloppy and stuck my thumb up. I tore a chunk out of my acrylic and felt very, very stupid.

And how come no one ever runs out of bullets? I'd love to get one of those magic, perpetually full magazines - it takes forever to keep reloading during target practice.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Yeah, I made that mistake once. Bled like a stuck pig.
Ouch! Poor Noemon!
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And don't get me started on movies where the hero is throwing guns away and pulling a new one out.
quote:
Actually my problem with guns is when people go flying after they get hit by a bullet.
quote:
And how come no one ever runs out of bullets? I'd love to get one of those magic, perpetually full magazines - it takes forever to keep reloading during target practice.
*cough* Matrix *cough*
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I don't know if Spike's character change really counts - I'm sure Joss Wheddon had it all planned from the first day of filming series one.
[qutoe]Also, if I recall correctly, Spike was supposed to get dusted in his second episode, but Joss thought he was too much fun to kill.[/quote]I was watching one of the season 4 DVDs the other day, and either Joss or the actor that plays Spike said that he was originally supposed to be a disposable villan who was the epitome of cool.

One of my pet peeves, and one that is unavoidable, is when characters who should never age are noticably older at the end of the show. Data and Angel are examples of this.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Good to know I didn't imagine that. [Smile]

I'll forgive them on the aging thing. I'd rather have that than the TV equivalent of George Lucas trying to stop it with CGI.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
X-Files is really guilty of this one.....When people leave and don't say goodbye or hang up the phone without a closing.

(M) Mulder here

(S) We found odd wrappings in the parking lot.

(M) Did they have a green discharge on them?

(S) Yes.

*click* the phone hangs up and Molder goes to investigate.

Say "thank you" "good bye" or ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrr....frustrates me everytime I see it! Seinfeld is guilty of it too...

[ January 11, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Yeah, but Angel was still a hottie though.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Not as bad as ST:TNG crew's inability to give a concise report to the captain.

"What's happening number one?"

"You're not going to like this sir. You'd better get down here."

"Get down here? I'm the freaking captain. If you can't explain over the radio, haul your enlarged carcass to the bridge and give me details."

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then you have people who are being chased by some creature who STAND THERE AND WATCH the creature approach them. How dumb is that?
My favourite along these lines is the hero running down the train tracks while being chased by a train.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This is why people think you're a woman!
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom gets really annoyed when characters in movies don't shut doors behind them. Watching Angel Eyes with her was awful because she kept complaining about the lack of door-closing.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Hey, I'm like Cordy. I think it, I say it. [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I'll forgive them on the aging thing. I'd rather have that than the TV equivalent of George Lucas trying to stop it with CGI.
[Angst] [Angst]
quote:
Is it just me, or does he look much better in season 2+ of Angel than he did when he was younger during the first season of Buffy?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Another pet peeve: When getting chased by a car, they run right in the path of the car. They don't go off to the side, they don't try to get behind a light post. They stay in the middle of the road and hope that they can run faster than the car.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yet anoter peeve, and one that ST:TNG is guilty of: the major characters do almost *everything* on screen. Somebody needs to escort the visiting dignitary to their room? Get O'Brian! Why? Because we don't have anything else for him to do this episode!
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still not as bad as doing the same thing with a train.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Angel had too much pasty make up on during Buffy. He also looked a little too young to play the part of a world-weary vampire during the first few seasons of Buffy.

Angel also looked better with a couple of extra pounds on him. Cordy, on the other hand, was much hotter in Sunnydale.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.