FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Copyright question...

Author Topic: Copyright question...
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a video game that I love with absolutely awesome music, although an official soundtrack for it has never been made. I've found a place to download a mocked-up soundtrack, and I love listening to it in my car.

The problem: would it be illegal to distribute the mp3's to other people who have the game (especially considering it's not from an official CD)? I'm only asking because the place I would post it is sometimes visited by the game's creators, and I want to remain as aboveboard as possible.

I know a lot of people here are familiar with these kind of laws, so I just thought I'd throw the question out.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a toughie. I'm pretty sure it's wrong, I just don't know exactly how wrong.

I have to say that our rate of marital relations had dropped since we got Halo. Maybe if I made a soundtrack of the CD I could lure my husband back to the bedroom. TMI? Sorry.

[ January 12, 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

It's just hard, because the [url= http://"http://s6.invisionfree.com/bge2_revolution/index.php"]website[/url] in question is a campaign I've started to get a sequel for the game Beyond Good & Evil, and listening to the music is a great way to get people excited about working for the campaign. But since we've been deprived of an OST, it seems like this is the only way we can do that (except playing the game itself, although you can't really play it while driving down the highway [Razz] ).

I really want it to be okay. [Frown]

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
SausageMan, I don't think it would be such a big issue... If you do convince more people to give it a try, and because of this you get the company to make another game, and, because of this, they earn more money I think they'll forgive you! After all, you're doing the stuff to help the company. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

I like your thinking! [Razz]

Unfortunately, the reason a sequel isn't coming is because the first game sold like crap and Ubisoft doesn't want to do that again.

On the other hand, the guy who actually made the game might even check out the site, and he would want the sequel coming more than anyone.

I'm still waiting to see if any big names come to our place, so as of now it's not a problem, but in the future...

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be such a big issue, but it's most likely illegal. Even assuming an individual owner of the game has a right to create (or receive) a cd of the music for his own personal use, how will you assure that you only distribute the music to people already in possession of the game?
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to look at the movie industry not wanting edited films to be distributed. It would increase their sales, but apparently violates the principle of creative property.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't want it, but it's not illegal.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it is, mph.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
An edited film is pretty much the textbook definition of a derivative work, which means the copyright holder can control who distributes it and how.

However, those DVD players which can take a template and "edit" movies on the fly are probably legal, since there is no distribution going on.

Of course, there's a law in Congress now that would likely explicitly outlaw such things.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several companies out here in Utah that rent modified movies. One of them (CleanFlix, if I recall) was sued by the MPAA and won.

They get around by not selling it. You have to become a member of the club, which means you have partial ownership of the DVDs, and you are allowed to edit your own movies.

[ January 12, 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood why they took that game down to $20 so fast. It was at $50 for only a couple of weeks.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not contact the guys you are worried might be offended and just ask them? Is that a possible option?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are several companies out here in Utah that rent modified movies. One of them (CleanFlix, if I recall) was sued by the MPAA and won.

They get around by not selling it. You have to become a member of the club, which means you have partial ownership of the DVDs, and you are allowed to edit your own movies.

Which pretty much confirms that it's illegal to distribute edited movies. The whole legal decision centers around CleanFlix not actually distributing them.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You're right. My mistake.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.