FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A note to Mormons

Author Topic: A note to Mormons
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever googled D&C? I've never liked that acronym anyway, I try to always write out "Doctrine and Covenants." If I'm genuinely pressed for space, Doc. & Cov.

I'd just hate for someone genuinely curious to know what you were saying go and Google it.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
:vomit:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I know when I think of the term "D&C" I definately think of the medical procedure, not of Doctrine & Covenants (however, I'm not Mormon), but I can just imagine what else you would learn if you googled it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that's what D&C meant - it was part of the reason I'd heard cited for why were "supposed" to refer to it as the D&C.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is in response to me quoting the Doctrine and Covenants just a moment ago, but I honestly try to avoid the abbreviation for this reason.

It was that way on lds.org and I cut and pasted. Blame them. [Razz]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are reasons I only use the abbreviation when talking to known Mormons (or people who I am sure will know what I am talking about).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when you google it, most of the first few pages, at least, are about Washington D.C. Go figure.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're talking about, but the first thing that flashes in my mind is still the medical definition.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Not when you use the ampersand, ketchupqueen
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I knew that's what D&C meant - it was part of the reason I'd heard cited for why were "supposed" to refer to it as the D&C.
That don't make no kind of sense.

I just figured with it being the study text for Sunday School this year it would probably come up a lot. And it is used in conference talks, lesson manuals and on LDS.org.

I was just thinking if someone were reading along and didn't know what we were talking about and googled it, so I did google it. If Doctrine and Covenants had appeared on my screen I wouldn't have said anything.

But it does raise the point of the tendency to discuss LDS subjects in an in-group way on the forum. I know we have had this subject before, so I apologize.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
No, I just use scriptures.lds.org. No google for me. (in this case)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Google:

The ads are showing a rather tasteless one in this thread:

quote:
Out of Mormonism
Tools for reaching LDS (Mormons) with the true Christian Gospel.

Kind of insulting, considering our host...
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom had a miscarriage when I was growing up and had to go to the hospital for a D&C.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
The other one's no better.

Mormons
Join for free. 1000's of pictures & video's of Beautiful Mormon singles

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

I rarely see google-ads here in any thread.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you're not scrolling down far enough.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
But rivka, I figured that meeting new Mormon women was okay, and all.

Especially to Married LDS Men. [Wink]

(you may now take bets as to how long I will let this post stand.)

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful unclaimed Mormon women?! Where?!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's worse than a Mormon friend of mine who would tell her co-workers she was leaving to attend FHE (Family Home Evening.) It was months before someone got up the guts to ask what FAG stood for.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

It has to be my combination of Firefox and the Adblock plugin. I don't get googleads on Hatrack.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad. They're frequently quite entertaining.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL] at FAG

Oh. My. Word.

*collapses*

[ January 12, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I swear that I just saw a google-ad that said "Mormons for Sale"

[Eek!]

Dagonee, have the Catholics been stocking up and having garage sales AGAIN?!! [Wink] Where's my duct tape?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You think we'd advertise on Google?

Sunday bulletins are all the advertising we need.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Evil]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that supposed to mean? That all Catholics are the devil?

Prejudice wherever I go. [Razz]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

That was just my evil grin.

This is my evil laugh: [Evil Laugh]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.