FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bad luck

Author Topic: Bad luck
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a Friday, but this particular thirteenth seems to have plenty of bad luck anyway. I broke my glasses. Blind as a bat, can't work. I was to give a presentation today, well, right out. Optometrician is $83 just for the test! And God knows what they'll charge for the glass. And this in a month when I have to pay the semester fee anyway, which put my budget in the red all on its own. Argh.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry
If I broke my glasses I'd be screwed. I can't see a thing without them! And they'd cost me 300 dollars to replace and that's 3 weeks pay!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, dude. Hope the day gets better.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Back when I wore them, I couldn't read a newspaper headline without them. And I was near-sighted.

I lost my glasses halfway down the Maury River in Virginia going over a class III rapid in a canoe.

I hope you manage to find something that works for you without further breaking the budget.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you ever have a crisis involving no corrective lenses and then have the thought: "I'm defying natural selection by merely still being alive!" ?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. You can hunt without glasses. You just can't read.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I couldn't hunt without glasses. Before I got them, I never realized you could see people's facial expressions at greater than arm's length.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Who needs to see faces? Hunt elephant. You can hardly miss.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I couldn't tell bushes from dogs, which makes me think tigers would have loved me.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So they won't let you replace the glass without going through the whole test and all again? Even one of those discount places like Wal-Mart -- until you can afford a new appointment with your doc?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Without glasses, I could read, but I would be unable to hunt.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Oh, I can easily afford it, that's what a buffer is for. It just puts me in the red for the month. And getting glasses without a prescription is not that easy, and the prescription is back in Norway. I suppose my parents could get it for me, but with the time difference, it's faster just to take the test, since they found a time for me today. Besides, God only knows what sort of heathen units these colonials use; a Norwegian prescription might not be that useful anyway.

Dag, if it moves, it's a dog - hit it. If not, it's a bush; hit it anyway, just in case it's a lying doggo.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
*Envisions Dag taking cover behind a lion while carefully stalking a shrub*

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked into lasic (spelling?) eye surgery? It is down to $500 dollars an eye here in Dallas. Granted that seems expensive now compared to 83 dollars, but they have payment plans (so no need to kill your budget all at once), and it will save you money in the long run.

Just a thought anyway

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Feyd: [ROFL]
King of Men
Member # 6684

I've looked into lasik. It's not worth the bother. In twenty years the state of the art will be umpteen times more advanced; it still might not be worth it, though. Glasses are just not that much of an inconvenience.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.