FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dress help!

Author Topic: Dress help!
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend is getting married in March and I will be wearing this dress in red as her maid of honor. However I don't know what shoes, jewelry or and other accesories to wear with the dress. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

The thing that's causing the most problems for me is that I won't actually have the dress until about two weeks before the wedding and I won't have time to go shopping then, so I've got to figure out the accesories without having the dress to make sure everything works together.

Help, please?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's gorgeous! [Smile]

And Risuena, welcome back. I haven't seen you around in a while! [Wave] I love the dress, I think it's really cute.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I do too, it's way cute. A good necklace might be something just slightly longer than a choker with a dangly charm in the center. Matching dangly earrings to go with it. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the detailing at the bottom, I'd go with a minimalist black sandal, kind of like what the model is wearing. You don't want to look bottom heavy, so don't get something too clunky. If the weather's bad, a pointy closed-toed black shoe would work well too.

For jewelry, I'd have to know you better. But I'd go with either black crystal or diamonds (fake's fine) and a short necklace that's barely wider than your neck. I'm no expert, though; that's just my first impression.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Thanks, one of the best things about the wedding being so small and informal is that I got to choose the dress and everything but at the same time it's a pain because my friend hasn't given me much input other than "Wear what will make you happy." Doesn't she know that bridesmaids are supposed to wear what will make the bride happy, even if it's hideous?

Raia - I actually feel like I've been posting more than usual lately. Maybe we've just been in different threads. But thanks for the welcome back anyway [Wink]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
What a gorgeous dress! I agree with Brinestone black strappy sandals would look the best. Are you getting the deep red or the bright red?
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend a simple drop set (earrings and necklace, each with one stone set in a short, small pendant) in either garnet or ruby (depending on the shade of the dress and the stone) with silver or platinum for that dress in red.

Of course, it also depends on what the bride is wearing; you don't want to clash with her style.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
The dress is very pretty go simple on the accesories so they don't over power the dress. I like the idea of black strappy sandles or a closed toe shoe in black. I agree with sarcasticmuppet on the necklace and earrings. Good luck. [Smile]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Risuena, does it say the price of the dress anywhere? I'm curious as to what it costs, just cuz I think it's gorgeous, and there's no price ANYWHERE.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a beautiful dress, Risuena. I have no eye for accessories, so I'll leave that to those more in the know. But I'm sure you will be smashing in it!

[ January 13, 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful! I totally agree on the simple, black strappy sandles. As for jewelry, I'd skip a necklace, since it's a halter top. But dangly earrings would look really nice, and a sparkly bracelet. That's my recommendation!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Thanks everyone, you've been helpful. I definitely agree on the keep it simple and I'll definitely start looking for some black strappy heels, since I don't I have any that I like [Wink] . I'll probably wind up raiding my mom's jewelry box, but it's good to know what to look for.

Raia - I got the dress from a bridesmaid store (as opposed to a bridal store - no wedding dresses there) and the cost was about $140, so I think it was quite reasonable. I don't think there would be too much variation in costs between the different retailers.

Raia
Member # 4700

Ooh... that is reasonable! *drool*
ManlyMan
Member # 2167

- posted      Profile for ManlyMan   Email ManlyMan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumbles about how the price to rent a really decent tuxedo starts above $140*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Taunt]
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there's alot going on with this dress. Does the red version have black stripes, also?

Honestly, with that neckline, and the stripes I would skip the necklace and go for some really simple earrings. I really like the strappy sandles, though.

Bon chance!

bunbun

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice dress. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You just have elitist taste, fugu [Razz]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu does have elitist taste. I rented my prom tux for around $70... but then again, I'm not known for my dress sense. For all I know it was the second worst tux on the planet (the worst has gotta be the orchestra uniforms).

Maybe its just me, but I think that dress looks fine with out any jewlery. Ok, yea, its probably just me cause I generally do think people look worse with jewlery than with out. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Do not [Razz]

http://tuxedo-rental.com/

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Mrs. M when you need her?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

You're silly. Ordering from an online rental place, of course they make you pay more!!

Mr. Penguin, downtown. I think they had price ranges like $70 - $140. Cheaper than your silly online site [Razz] And its run by a pair of really nice old people who are very funny [Smile]

EDIT: Actually... they might have closed. I have a vague memory of driving by and noticing the store front all closed up. But my memory is not the best, so I would recommend checking them out still if you need to rent of a tux. [Razz]

[ January 13, 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Trust me, I could easily have gotten a dress that cost more than twice as much, but one of my bride's requirements was that I spend less on my dress than she did on hers and she got hers for $250.

I forgot to answer Coccinelle earlier, the dress will be in the bright red and also, the stripes at the bottom will be the same shade of red.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Trust me Alcon, when I tell you that most of the places in Bloomington charge more for any but the plainest, most uncomfortable tuxedo. Its very easy for rental of a good quality tuxedo to break $200.

As for the higher cost dresses: this is for renting the tuxedo [Razz] . Buying it is much, much more expensive.

Risuena
Member # 2924

Yeah, but you only need one tuxedo and you can wear it to all your formal occasions. I can't wear the same dress...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Penguin moved but didn't close, I actually think they might be closer to south now, but I forget.

And the ugliest tux ever was taken out of the orchestra closet and is now hanging in my closet (miss g's permission), it looks cute if you have boobs. But you know, some cellist's pants look pretty good on.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

A guy can wear the same tuxedo to things that require a tuxedo, yes (unless there's a standardized tuxedo, such as in wedding parties there sometimes is).

However, for things which require a suit (not a business suit, a dress suit), a guy needs to have several different suits (assuming he goes to that sort of thing with any regularity). And things which require a suit are more common than things which require a tux.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband just got 3 new suits for his birthday. They're from Hollywood Suit Outlet, and it's cool 'cause you get 3 suits (nice suits-- these are sold under a different label by the people that manufacture designer suits) plus shirts, socks, ties, hankies, and belts to go with each of them for the price of one suit. (It says $299 on the website, but there are 3 classes of suit: $299, $399, and $499.) He also got all my dad's hand-me-downs, including a tux, minus the shirt (too short for him). He was thrilled, since he has to wear suits at his new job.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to pity you, Russell, I really am, but it's just not working. [Laugh]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to second everything Vana said on this one. A bracelet, a really great bracelet would be so fun. With matching great earings of course.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You guys know you can see the dress in red if you click the colors, right? [Razz]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm officially drooling over this dress. Especially in the blood-red.

Yowza.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*wants it really badly*

Ask breyerchic... I'm hooked. I just can't decide what color I like best, or how I'm going to get my hands on it, seeing as I'm overseas. Damn.

But I want it!!!! *wants*

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and by the way - we'll get to see pictures of you in the dress, right?
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO getting married in this.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris, I love that one. A lot. I can't describe how much I love that one.

---

What's the deal with so many red bridesmaid dresses lately? It seems kinda tart-y to me. [Smile]

---

When I got married, my husband rented THE most expensive tux in the entire store. Then, because he's tall he had to get an extended length, the total cost ended up being either $210 or $240, I can't remember which. Insane.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
A, good point. Red = lucky sometimes.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia and I have to go shopping next time she's in town. She wants that dress, and I've fallen in love with #616 on the same sight.

I looked at my dad's prom picture the other night, and it officially becomes the ugliest ever. It was white with black lapels, a black bowtie, an ugly white shirt with ruffles, and a red carnation, he had a flat top. But apparently they stayed at prom ten minutes then had to drive a friend to the ER with appendecitis so doesn't matter much.

too add: boris's white tux is actually pretty, this one wasn't.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I love how you can change the colors of the dress. LOVE it.
Risuena
Member # 2924

Don't worry, I'll have pictures.

I think with red you don't have to worry about it going out of style and because of that you know you'll be able ot wear the dress again.

In this case it's definitely the asian influence with red meaning luck since the bride is asian. Besides, I look good in red.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I need an excuse to wear a dress like this in real life.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my problem too PSI. Well that, and the fact that I don't have the bod for that dress. [Razz]

I'd have nowhere to wear it.

Very nice though, and I agree, nice earrings, no necklace needed.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've decided that I'm going to plan "fancy dinner" night with Jes four nights a year so I'll have an excuse to wear something like that.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend who got married in India was married in a red sari. Over there, white is the color of mourning, so there's as major culture conflict. If she'd had a U.S. wedding she was still trying to figure out what she would do.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Has anyone else thought that both the dress style and tuxedo style posted on this thread are somewhat remenicent of 40's and 50's noir fiction?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.