FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is 19 too old to start dating? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is 19 too old to start dating?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Having dated in high school and college and then again in my 30s, the experiences were so different
[Taunt] dkw! That's because when you "started dating" in your 30s, you were engaged first! [Taunt]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, that's part of the difference, not the cause of it!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar situation to Shigosei. In that when I was 19 my mom would always ask when she was going to get her grand kids. Which threw me for a loop the first time she asked me cause it was right out of the blue. After I recovered from my shock I asked, is there something I should know about? When I asked why she asked me. She said she wanted grandkids. Talk about pressure.

Now that I told that little antic tote I turned 28 in June and still really haven't had the need to go on a date. I haven't found anyone IRL that isn't attached that I'm attracted to, not just physically ether.

Oh another option. There are a lot of intelligent, humorous, beautiful ladies on this forum.

[Cry] [Angst] [Eek!] [Wall Bash] [Blushing]
((Sorry for the horrible spelling))

[ January 15, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Chris Kidd ]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei is nineteen?!

Okay, I'll write something more substantial and on-topic later. Right now I need to pick my jaw back up off the floor.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Just when I get used to using your name, you switch back to CT? [Grumble]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't start dating until I was 20, and I've found that it makes dating significantly harder. I didn't develop the social skills to actually get a date with a woman who's had previous experience, I made mistakes that cost me second dates because I hadn't gone through the learning period with the women I was dating, and I've never developed the confidence to know that yes, I can get a date if I so choose.

I think going on dates when you're peers are learning to date is important, from my own experience. Not to say you should start before you are ready, but if you'd enjoy going out to dinner and a movie with a MoS then its probably a good idea to do so. It doesnt have to be serious, in fact, its probably better if you go on a few casual dates to learn how to date. Then, when you meet someone you really like, you won't blow it by being clueless about dating.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Uh, well. Long story? *hopefully
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to know why, that isn't any of my business unless you happen to feel like talking about it. I was just commenting. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad twinky asked. I was wondering, but not sure if I should ask.

*sets SS/CT mental toggle back to CT*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I was on *counts on fingers* 5 or so dates before I met my (ex)boyfriend. I didn't feel particularly ill-equipped to date him.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

quote:
"She has qualities x, y, z and defects a, b, c. Can I bare her defects?";
Sorry - that just struck me a freaking hilarious . . . must be the caffiene high . . .

I HOPE 19 is not too old to date - I'm going on 36 in April and a friend of mine (male) has been corresponding and calling quite frequently - he says there will be one official date before he proposes. [Eek!]

I'm not sure I'm ready for a date, let alone a marital proposition.

I did tell him the official date had to be minus the kids along with us, and that the proposition must be accompanied by roses, bended knee, and protestations of undying love. I also told him having a pool table handy would help immensely.

Hey! I've got my standards!

[Big Grin]

Did that scare him off? Nope - he just chuckled and said he have it all handled by that momentous moment.

College flings were far simpler, if you ask me.

*puzzles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I was on *counts on fingers* 5 or so dates before I met my (ex)boyfriend. I didn't feel particularly ill-equipped to date him."

Actually, I suspect its a lot more likely that the guy needs some experience then the girl, simply because of how dating customs are.

That said, 5 dates is enough to at least figure out how to date [Smile]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I am 100% certain I will regret asking this question, but I have to know.

Shan, why a pool table?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The symbolism.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Billard balls, pockets, cue sticks... picking up a theme here?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wouldn't a golf course work just as well?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Harder to fit in the room.

Hobbes [Smile]

Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had just turned 25 and she asked me out for my first date.

*Runs and hides in shame*

You know yourself best. If your ready and you have someone worth going with the go. If you don't feel your ready or lack a person worth going with then don't.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I don't think 36 is too old to be dating! What I meant by the title of the thread is, "Should a person start dating by the time they're my age?" Anyhow, good luck to you!

CT, you're not the first person to be surprised at my age. Out of curiousity, how old did you think I was?

Paul, do you think that females might care more about having an experienced date than males do? Also, I'm around a lot of engineering-types all the time, some of whom are rather socially awkward, so I may be ok without any experience anyway. The cool thing about being a woman in an engineering program is that the odds are very good [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wait, she wants him to buy her a pool table? And assemble it?

Yeah, that sounds like proof of undying love.

[ January 16, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Shan
Member # 4550

Now you've got it!!! I must absolutely know that I can have a passion outside of the marriage and childrearing.

[Wink]

You realize it'll never happen, dontcha, rivka? I am entirely too difficult a person to be with for any length of time.

Edited to add:

Phew, Shigosei - I was gonna feel older than I already am . . . I think you're right on the money though to take your time and do what's best for you - [Smile]

[ January 16, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Makes sense now. [Smile]

And Shan, you sell yourself way short. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Shan, I thought it would never happen to my sister - she's far too impossible to live with for any length of time. And then she up and got married. At 34. And I figured it would never happen to me - I'm far too impossible to live with for any length of time and I'm screwed up in so many ways it's hard to describe - and I up and got married, too, much to my surprise.

When you find someone who can handle everything that's good about you and everything that's not at the same time, and loves you for all of it, and you can do the same back at them, that's a recipe for success. Oddly enough, it can happen. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Aw, shucks, folks . . . [Blushing]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am entirely too difficult a person to be with for any length of time."

Pish-tosh. A man has told you, before you have ever dated him, that he would propose following the first date. And rather than run away screaming, you laid out ground rules for the proposal.

The word for this is not "difficult."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I would say the word would be more along the lines of "idiotic", except I've known him for a decade, so it's really not as bad as it sounds . . . I hope. It's just a potential new phase . . .
rivka
Member # 4859

Besides, Shan, there'd better be hope for you.

Otherwise, I am doomed.

Shan
Member # 4550

[Angst]

Thanks - now that I have the weight of the world on my shoulders . . .

[Razz]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Shan, you don't. [ROFL] My sister and I have already done the impossible. For the rest of you - it'll be a breeze. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Oh, thank heavens . . .

[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Cool]
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I know somebody who is 50 and just started dating again, and everybody's clad she is doing so. So I'm sure 36 isn't too old, Shan. Good luck!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Okay. The day went well. The kids got along fine.
He and I got along fine. He's still the same funny, down-to-earth guy I worked with all those years ago. It was comfortable. We'll see what happens when we decide on an adults' only time . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cool! And good luck. [Kiss]
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I first started seriously dating when I was 17, and I was very much not ready for it. We were incompatible anyway, but I shouldn't have put myself through that kind of insanity. Note that she initiated the relationship, not me... i.e. it wasn't my idea. :avoids_blame: [Wink]

My next attempt was almost two years later, and I think I did a lot better. I was much better-able to interact with women in general.

In other words, you'll start when you're ready. Before that, don't worry about it. One thing to remember, women aren't out to hurt you. They're like garden snakes, they're just as afraid of you as you are them. [Smile]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
And Shigosei, in your case, I think WheatPuppet means men aren't out to hurt you, since you mentioned being a girl and dating guys. [Wink]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it, Shan.

Uhleeuh, yeah, I just translate those sort of comments into something that's suitable for me. I suppose I should have mentioned made my gender and orientation more clear in my first post.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
If the goal of dating is to find a mate and you are not ready for that, then why date? You aren't avoiding social interactions. From the little bit of time we spent at the Tucson gathering you don't seem like you have trouble with social skills. So don't worry about it. I think our culture puts WAY too much emphasis on dating. Give me an old-fashioned courting.....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

In Sri Lanka, there's no dating custom and not much of a real opportunity for dating. It just isn't done. Arranged marriages are the norm, even when it's a "love match".

I'll give you an example. There are two people at church who became friends, really really good friends. They started hanging out together. One day, the branch president called them into the office and asked them how it was going. Fine, they say. Do you love each other? Yes, they say. So get married. They look at each other and say, "Okay." They're getting married in a couple of weeks.

Don't totally freak out at the branch president here - that's just the way things are done here.

I had a man, about 50ish, approach me and ask me if I could get him in touch with people in Canada to arrange for him to get a wife.

Whatever works, ya know? [ROFL]

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have picked up that Shigosei was of the fairer sex. I never was very perceptive. [Razz]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is 19 too old to start dating?
YES! Anytime is a bad time for you to start dating!

My sister should SO not be dating. Gross! [Angst]

[Wink]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendybird, I know a couple who says (and is serious) that they will only allow their children to participate in courtship, not dating. I guess the mother was a bit wild in her younger days, so this is her solution to get her children on the straight and narrow.

Mind you, I had to convince her to allow her oldest (a 6 yr. old) to pick out her own clothes every now and again, so she's pretty convinced that if she controls every aspect of her children's lives then they'll turn out well.

Should be some interesting fireworks 'round that house in about 10 more years...

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Shigosei, for some reason I was convinced that you are a ~25-yr old medical student.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought you were a nun for the longest time, CT.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No way!

Well, I am, in my head. A bad nun, but nonetheless. [Wink]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
That's alright. I thought you were something soft and cuddly like the bear Garfield carries around. O_o
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow SO... she's in for a bit of a shock in a few years isn't she?

I like the concept of courtship though.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Shigosei I know what you mean. I grew up in a culture where you don't date but you are set up in a marriage. If you did date you didn't tell anyone until you were engaged to that person. I moved to USA when I was 19 and about 6 months after moving here I realized that there is nothing wrong with dating and that it is a good thing. My first experience of dating was terrible cause the guy was a complete jerk and made fun of my ascent but when I learned that you could dump someone and not have hard feelings between each other I made sure that I dumped him.
Dating felt a bit weird at the beginning cause I didn't know the culture so I felt like I could not make an educated conversation but I got used to it. With a lot of friends on my side that felt that it was their responsibility to culture me, I was able to overcome my discomfort of dating. One thing that I noticed is that I didn’t care weather I dated or not all I cared was that I had a good time. When I say good time I don't mean drinking and sex, I mean pure good time. I felt very uncomfortable with the idea of a dinner and a movie. I loved doing outdoor things like hiking and biking and jet skiing so I felt more comfortable that way when it is more informal, you get to know someone better. The first date that my husband and I went on was playing racquetball and then going and getting a cup of really good ice cream at Nelson's Frozen Yogurt in St.George, UT. I felt more comfortable that way and I didn't feel like I had to impress him. Apparently it worked. My advice to you is that don't feel that you are too late to date. I think that you are doing fine. You are making sure that you succeed in your studies and accomplishing the things that you need to. You will know when the time is right. You got a whole life ahead of you, don't rush it. I hope all goes well with you.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.