FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something great happened!!!

Author Topic: Something great happened!!!
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

First of all, I’ll tell you just a bit about myself: I’m an Israeli sixteen-year-old nerd, a member of the Israeli Boy and Girl Scouts, working with a group of retarded adults.

Anyway, one of the people I work with is called Avi, and he has serious communication problems, besides having the “regular” cognitive and mental problems. He never smiles, and barely speaks. We can never really know what he absorbs from the weekly activities.

So several days ago, one of the activities was sort of theoretical, we showed them pictures of Israeli landmarks and they had to tell us what they were and where they belonged. They managed to figure out some of the pictures, but not one of the easiest ones: the Azrieli towers in Tel Aviv.

Avi only says his name, “yes”, and “no”. He cannot even recognize colors by their names, let alone people – he knows like ten names or something, at least that’s what we can understand.
We didn’t really have our hopes up when we asked him: “Avi, do you know what’s in the picture?”

We were flabbergasted, though when he answered: “The Shalom towers of Tel-Aviv”. You see, Shalom Towers is the <I>real</I> name, people only call the towers Azrieli because of the man who owns them.

Avi figured it out! The so-called "black sheep" of their hostel was the only guy who managed to recognize the towers, and name them with their original name!

I know this story sounds kind of stupid, but for me it was fabulous.

-Beanny

[ January 15, 2005, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very cool story.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That does sound cool and fabulous!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's excellent!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
This story show us we have many thing to learn from each person you meet.

Très belle histoire, merci de nous l'avoir racontée. [Hat]

[ January 14, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Thanks guys...

I'm going on a field trip with them in several weeks, it's going to be a blast!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask. Is "besides having the 'regular' retard cognitive problems" a typo? This leaped off the screen at me; I guess I've never liked the noun form of the word "retarded." You're obviously a very caring, generous, and perceptive person, so I'm wondering is this a common way to refer to the people you volunteer for? Am I wrong in my understanding about the word?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that. That is a cool story. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag -- I think it is considered a slam in our society, but being in a different country, they may have a different connotation to the word. After all, I believe retard is an actual psychiatric term for those with lower IQ, isn't it? Our society has just made it into a slang derogatory comment.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know. I generally hate the noun forms of such things, and prefer the adjective "person" structure. For example, autistic person rather than autistic, or retarded person rather than retard.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

You PC pinkos sicken me. [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not trying to be PC. I know you were joking, but it touches on an issue I think is important. These are people who happen to have mental disabilities. They are not simply mental disabilities. I first became aware of this issue when I realized people took comfort from using the word "vegetable" when discussing the possibility of killing someone in an "irreversible" coma.

You'll note I didn't call anyone a bigot, or accuse him or her of being insensitive. I decided to take this opportunity to broach the subject. Gently, I hope.

Dagonee

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I know this story sounds kind of stupid, but for me it was fabulous.

No, this was a very cool story. Thank you for sharing it.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I know you had a good point. I also know I like to make fun of you. [Smile]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
He's so cute when he's all explainy, innit he?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic!! It really is!!!

This sort of thing happened to me all the time........of course I didn't really think about it that much back then but whatever.........

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been surprised so often by so many people like this, it has almost ceased to surprise me.

Once I worked at a community living house in a community my aunt and uncle (who live several provinces away) used to work at, 30 years ago. One of the guys there, when I asked him if he remembered Kevin and Flo, said "Yes, and I gues that would make you Jayne's daughter, right?" don't think my mom ever visited the community. I doubt family trees were a common topic of conversation then. But man,what a memory.

Moral of my story: Woo hoo, that's awesome!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Another cool story from our friend Avi
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I almost skipped reading this thread, and then at the last second (when I was just about to move on) I clicked on it anyway. Man, am I ever glad I read it. Thanks for posting that. [Smile]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

, besides having the “regular” retard cognitive problems

Dagonee is correct. The way the sentence is written is not very flattering in English as it parses as if he is using 'retard' as a noun. I don't believe 'retard' is used as a noun anywhere in psychiatry.

Beanny, it's an honest mistake. Just remove the quoted part above and your paragraph will not be 'offensive', so to speak, and will communicate what you want to say.

You are a nice fellow and I'm glad you took interest in Avi. I'm glad nice people like you exist in the world to show kindness to those who are different. 'Love, mercy, pity, peace.'

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, I don't think Beanny was doing anything wrong, and I think he or she is pretty cool for helping out.
Beanny
Member # 7109

Hi guys...

To make things clear, when I wrote "Retard" and pronounced it in my mind, I was thinking re-TARD, not RE-tard. According to your responses, I suppose that it isn't the right word to use.

A retarded person is a person whose mental development is much slower than normal people at the same age. Hence, he is behind them, "late" = retarded.

"Vous etes retard" means "you're late" in French, so in my opinion it's overall a good word to use.

I was born in the US and speak English at home, but clearly my concept of politically-correct English is not adequate... [Blushing]

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you wanted to use the verb definition of retard, but since it was functioning as a noun, it had an entirely different meaning and pronunciation. I never noticed the difference in pronunciation before.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Theca - you're totally right. I suppose that's because of the Hebrew influence on my English.

You see, in Hebrew, the word "Pachad" is a noun meaning "fear" if pronounced PA-chad, and is a verb meaning "feared" if pronounced pa-CHAD.

[ January 17, 2005, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
for your help, Beany, We say "Vous êtes en retard." [Wink]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Oh ok Choobak, thanks, I suppose that's why I got only 93 instead of a 100 on the matriculation exams in French...still, I consider any grades above 90 satisfactory, and besides I have teacher's credit points, so my final grade was actually 97.

Well, it's not the grades that define the quality of your language, so I guess the entire paragraph above was unrelated. Oh, never mind.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Beanny, I don't think you did anything wrong. My question was partly linguistic and partly to see if was just a typo.

I think you're great for doing what you do.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, in semitic languages you can inflect words by changing vowel length within the word. It is very different from what we do in English. So this seems an unfortunate but fascinating case of applying nonconcatenative morphology to an agglutinative word. I guess Beanny could have written retaard. And maybe 3 people on the forum would have understood.

Beanny, it is a cool story. And inspires me to start a thread on words that label people.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The nasty meaning of the word seemed utterly inconsistent with the character revealed in the story, so I thought it was something like that.

Are those different meanings indicated via accents or punctuation marks?

Beanny
Member # 7109

Dagonnee, Hebrew doesn't just happen to be one of the most difficult languages - after Japanese and Chinese, of course... [Wink]

An answer to your question: While in English we have vowels (a,u,o,i,e), and you don't need any special markings to show the pronounciation, Hebrew doesn't really have any vowels. Instead, you have dots and lines under and next to the letters that serve as vowels, called "nikkud". A parenthesis above the letter shows the accent (REtard instead of reTARD). [Confused]

However, it is so tiring adding the nikkud that most writers just leave it out. A non-Hebrew speaker would read the letters, and have no idea how to pronounce them... [Dont Know]

Anyway, thanks to you I'll now be much more careful with what I write, so... thank you!

And mothertree - I'm waiting eagerly for that thread...

-Beanny

[ January 18, 2005, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Beanny, that was a very cool story. Thank you for sharing it. [Smile] And your calm acceptance of and openness to suggestions is great!

I don't think I had a chance to welcome you to Hatrack. Let me do so now.

!שלום להטרק [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Thanks Rivka, that was very nice of you! [Big Grin]

שלום גם לך רבקה ותודה על קבלת הפנים!

[ January 18, 2005, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.