FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If fear is the mind killer we are all braindead

Author Topic: If fear is the mind killer we are all braindead
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all of us in the US.

To quote Paul Atriedes in Dune-- "Fear is the Mind Killer."

This last election year was nothing but continual fear bating.

Much of the country voted out of fear--

Fear of the right
Fear of the left
Fear of terrorists
Fear of President Bush
Fear of the future
Fear of the past
Fear, fear, fear.

I was guilty of it.
Almost everyone I know was guilty.

I will not let it control me again. I shall face my fear, and push through it.

Perhaps there is some wisdom in the fiction we read.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
snickersnort, I was quoting the Litany most of the day myself... of course it was for "crazy" factor more than anything... I've discovered that if I can keep the bosses at arms' length, it's a lot harder for them to give me stuff to do LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I fear nothing but being alone.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"I will not fear, fear is the mind killer, I will face my fear, I will let it pass through me."

That's the line from Children of Dune right?

Fear can be healthy, if used correctly. We shouldn't let it control us, but we also shouldn't ignore it either. Fear has been with us from the dawn of man, and has served many a man well. Some things we would do well to fear.

But giving in to fear, as I think many did in the last election, is never wise. And I think employing fear, as Bush did in the last election, is the sign of a weak man.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, because the other guy didn't invoke fear at all. [Roll Eyes]

I didn't finish Children of Dune but I know it was in the first one anyway.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The litany against fear was actually first said in the very first chapter of the original Dune. I believe that it is repeated (or at least referred to) at least once in each of the 6 original Dune novels.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The Litany Against Fear:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing
Only I will remain.

In the original Dune movie (Kyle/Sting) they cut it short to the first couple lines while Paul is under the gom jabbar. I didn't see the Sci-Fi Channel versions of either Dune or Children, so I don't know how much of the Litany they chopped.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the specifically how the SciFi Dune did the littany, but I really liked that version. Not a substitute for the book by any means, and the first movie did some things better, but I was pleased with it anyway.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
In the SciFi miniseries, it was shortened to this:

quote:
Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear and it will pass through me and when it is gone there will be nothing only I will remain.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.