FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What video games have the best music? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What video games have the best music?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I could, I'd have them both on CD.
I have em ^^ ... or did, they got lost somewhere in my brother's room [Embarrassed]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the soutracks from Myst III and IV (both done by Jack Wall), and the World of Warcraft music is also exelent (each area I've been to has it's own music that fits perfectly)
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about picking up Myst IV or a Myst bundle of some kind for precisely that reason. He's really astonishingly good.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My box didn't have the soundtrack. And the sticker SAID IT DID! [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Blade Runner.

The PC Game that came out in 1999 (i think) had music that was adapted well to match that of the movie.

Amazingly sparse use of music, but was there blew me away. i think it's the only video game music i have ever bothered taking notice of.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
So I was going to start a new thread, but then I figured that there had to be one like it (and so there was). I guess this thread isn't that old... so don't kill me for bumping.

I'm going to cast my vote for Homeworld as the best music I have heard in a game (hey, mack: you can get all the music here, as well as all the animatics/cutscenes here.) The opening song gives that great "vast empty space" feel. The credits song was cool too [Smile]

The Ace Combat series, partucularly the latter two games have good music as well; AC4*(soundtrack here) and 5 both use latin vocals in the same way as Homeworld. Even the monologues are well done. AC5's The Unsung War is one of the best songs I have ever heard in a game, possibly even better than HW's main theme.

--j_k

[ February 04, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Payne
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for John Payne   Email John Payne         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to add another vote for Homeworld.

And I still occasionally listen to the Chrono Cross soundtrack 5 years after the last time I played it.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
What to say that hasn't already been said?

One bit of VG music that has stuck with me for years is the Cosmo Canyon music from FFVII. It's still one of those places I'll go visit in the game just to hear it again.

Also, the first time I bought Heroes of Might and Magic II, the music that you heard when you entered your own castles was this phenomenal operatic soundtrack that doesn't appear on my current version (the old CD broke so I bought it again). The rest of the music for that game is unremarkable, but I loved visiting my castles -- especially the Sorceress castle with the Phoenix and the unicorns.

Vote for Homeworld.

FFIII(6) yet again. That was one of my first games in which I was aware of how much the music influenced my video game experience. So many memorable melodies.

And Chrono Trigger. The music that plays on the overland map (I don't remember which time) may be among the top three music themes in the entire (relatively short) history of video games.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the Sonic 1 and 3 soundtracks. As far as computer games go, I second the HOMM 2 vote. The music for the credits of the original Descent was also good.

Megaman 2 may have had better bosses, but Megaman 3 had better overall gameplay. And Shadow Man was several orders of magnitude more awesome than Metal Man.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the music in Katamari Damacy. It's just so...enchanting.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.