FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a new toy! :D (was: Laptop advice)

Author Topic: I have a new toy! :D (was: Laptop advice)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a laptop thread! Where Hatrack's resident compugeeks get to wow me with their ability to find a laptop to my specs -- even the ones I don't know I have yet. [Wink]

(I want a PC, not a Mac. This is my personal preference. My other personal preference is that this not become yet another PC vs. Mac thread. Danke.)

Ok, I won't actually be buying this for a month or two (unless someone finds a REALLY good deal that is likely to go poof before then), but I'm not having much luck looking by myself.

What I need:
  • as light as possible -- portability is very important
  • Word and Excel
  • VGA output (I need to be able to hook this up to the large screen we have at school; I am told this requires a VGA output)
  • decent speed, decent graphics ability (won't be gaming on it, but will be using it to show students short animations -- like this)
And I would like:
  • ability to use wireless internet quickly -- I've noticed this seems to vary a LOT from model to model, even in the same room
  • A price below $1500 (total); below $1000 would be ideal, but I think not realistic?
Does the computer I want exist?

[ January 26, 2005, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dell Inspiron 700m seems to meet those specs. I speced one out at 1,297.95, not including shipping and tax. A few things could be bumped down a little, such as memory or the better battery, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Unfortunately, sending links from Dell is a pain.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure it has s-video or component video out. Many smaller laptops, like the little Sony Vaio, do not. If you're going to be hooking it up to a TV, you will want this.

These days, do they even make computers without VGA?

Do you guys have LCD projectors? If so, you can disregard what I said, since you can use your monitor output.

But I know that you and I have a lot of the same needs, and video-output is a must for me.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How small are you willing to go, rivka? Because you can get some VERY small laptops for $1000-$1500 nowadays, especially if you're mainly going to be playing pre-rendered video and not games. But I know some people have a minimum size they're willing to accept.

Is your major concern weight? I mean, would you be willing to use a laptop with a large profile -- 14 to 15 inches, say -- if it only weighed 3 pounds?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Make sure it has s-video or component video out. Many smaller laptops, like the little Sony Vaio, do not. If you're going to be hooking it up to a TV, you will want this.
I know. [Frown] mack has the little VAIO, and it's very cute -- but has no visual output. [Razz]
quote:
These days, do they even make computers without VGA?
Uh . . . [Dont Know] . . . probably the person who told me that really means the kind of outputs you mentioned.
quote:
Do you guys have LCD projectors? If so, you can disregard what I said, since you can use your monitor output.

I wish! Nope, no such luck. Just a really BIG tv monitor.
quote:
How small are you willing to go, rivka? Because you can get some VERY small laptops for $1000-$1500 nowadays, especially if you're mainly going to be playing pre-rendered video and not games. But I know some people have a minimum size they're willing to accept.

Is your major concern weight? I mean, would you be willing to use a laptop with a large profile -- 14 to 15 inches, say -- if it only weighed 3 pounds?

I don't know if I have a minimum size. If they weren't so darn expensive, I'd consider one of those gizmos that's halfway between a PDA and a laptop. And yes, weight is absolutely my major concern. So a 3-pounder with a 14-15 inch screen would be great.

Dags, CNET likes the Inspiron 700m. I'm a tad hesitant to get a Dell, though. I've been fairly unimpressed with their customer service.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's a shame.

I've had good service from them, but I originally ordered from them when I ran the business, so I may be getting residual benefit from that.

I looked at averatec when we shopped for Eve's new laptop, but at the last minute we got a really bad vibe for some reason and went with a Dell. I believe Mack has one, though - she may be able to fill you in on their reliability.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump*

Hoping Tom will have a suggestion based on my responses. Or that someone(s) else will have suggestions. Or that there will suddenly, magically be a computer meeting my needs that costs less than a grand. [Razz]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Averatec (5110H) and love it. I haven't had any problems with it since I got it in May. The battery lasts a good five hours or so, and it's thin and light, not to mention sleek and stylish. [Smile] I got it for about $1000. Trusting a brand name I had never heard of worried me a bit at first, but it has paid off.

My mother, on the other hand, went with a bulky and expensive Toshiba that has spent more time in the shop for repairs than it has on her desk. It's been a nightmare.

[ January 19, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump* for Tom
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I could recommend several models, rivka, but I think the one that best fits what you've described -- and isn't currently discontinued; sadly, a lot of the really great ultralights don't sell all that well and are rapidly moved off shelves -- is here:
http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/3200series.htm

The AV3250H1 is under a thousand dollars and five pounds, has a built-in CDRW, wireless and wired LAN, 512MB of RAM, 3 USB 2.0 ports, and a 60GB drive. Its screen isn't huge, but the larger the screen the bigger your tradeoffs: if you don't want the weight to go up, the cost does.

This particular model's also under a $100 rebate until the end of January, meaning that it'd cost $899 if you buy now. Which is pretty compelling, I think. (Note, BTW, that I think the upgrade to the AV3250HX-01 is worth the money, if you intend to burn DVDs. If not, it's not.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

For backup purposes alone a DVD burner is worth it. But, an external model can be purchased later if cost is an issue now.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

If you want to go really small, and are willing to pay more and sacrifice some features to do it, the Fujitsu Lifebook P1000 is around $1200 nowadays and weighs just 2 pounds, while the Sharp Actius is around $1300 for the same weight. (Note: I'd strongly recommend buying the optional extended battery for either of these machines if you plan to use them away from a socket. Note that Sharp's extended battery actually gives it around nine hours of battery life, which is pretty remarkable.) Downsides in this class of ultralight, though, often include a lack of optical drive and/or very slow processors. YMMV.

(I personally would not be satisfied with the performance of an ultralight until we start looking in the $2000 range. If performance is really not a big deal to you, and weight is, you may find that either of these laptops offer decent compromises.)

rivka
Member # 4859

I checked out CNET on the two ultralights, and was leaning toward the Sharp . . . until I checked to see what people had to say about the Averatech. Wow, people REALLY like it!

And . . . several local Circuit Citys have it currently in stock. I could pick one up tomorrow, and have Hatrack access tomorrow night in Carlsbad after all . . . ooooh . . . [Big Grin]

Thanks for all the advice, folks! [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

So, in the end, I didn't get the Averatec that Tom recommended. Circuit City, where I went to get it (going off the Averatec website, which told me the local one had it in stock) didn't actually have it.

What they DID have was the AV3250HX (larger hard drive, DVD/CD burner). For $800, after rebates. (Of course, it turns out the CC rebate is web only. So they had me use one of their computers (standing in the store) to order it for pickup, and then walked me and it over to the pickup window. As I told them, for $100, I was willing to jump through a couple hoops.)

I also got the 4-year extended warranty. Altogether, with tax, and after I get the two rebates, it will be well within my budget (although not quite under a grand.)

And I have a new toy! [Big Grin] It's really coooooool. [Cool]

Thanks for the all help from Hatrack's computer gurus! [Hail]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOOOOO!!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! [Party] In a few months I will have a shiny new laptop to call my own as well.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't drop it, whatever you do.

But if you do, and it's an Averatec, it can take the beating.

Mine has.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine has as well. I've tripped over the cord and knocked it off the desk more than a couple times. It doesn't seem to mind yet.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

My dell has survived a fall from a desk to a lower tier in a stepped lecture hall.

When it happened, the entire room of 130 people just stopped and all looked horrified on my behalf. But it was fine. [Smile]

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

Guess what I'm doing? Yes, that's right, I'm posting to Hatrack using my new laptop. (Had to call Israel to get the password for the wireless connection, but whatever it takes, neh? [Wink] )

*basks in the wonder that is wireless*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ain't it nice?
rivka
Member # 4859

It so is.

There's actually no reason for me to be downstairs on this puter any longer. And the upstairs computer already has everything all set up (I'm in the process of getting everything set up on this one) . . . but I'm so enjoying using my new toy, that I'll probably use this one until the battery gets low. [Big Grin]

[ January 28, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's especially great during football season.
rivka
Member # 4859

Uh . . .

1) I am very much NOT a football fan.
2) The TV is upstairs, in the same room as the desktop computer I use.
3) Did I mention that I detest football?

kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am ammused that my Mac laptop (that I am typeing on as we speek) can do all of the things you spesify- easly.

However, if you are used to a PC, you might as well stay with one (i'll still thumb my nose at you! [Wink] ).
Unless your planing to do art or vidio/adio editing, im sure you can find a PC that will fufill your requirments. Good luck, wish I could help.

Edit: belatedly relizes that you already got your new computer [Roll Eyes]

[ January 28, 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: kyrie ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
[thread hijack] Because I'm too shy to start my own..

I recently read about a laptop that will play cd's and dvd's without actually turning it on. I think it was on cnet but I can't find it again.

What was it??

[ February 04, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: esl ]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

One of the Averatecs I looked at had a feature that you could hold a button down when turning it on, and it would come up as a DVD-player only - no OS booting up or any other programs running. They said it doubled battery life. Even if that was an exageration, it would certainly help.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Unless your planing to do art or vidio/adio editing, im sure you can find a PC that will fufill your requirments."

And even if you are, you can find a PC that fulfills all those requirements. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Did I mention that I detest football?
That's OK - I still think you're great.
rivka
Member # 4859

*interested* I wonder if my Averatec has this feature?

And Dags, I still like ya, even if you ARE a fan of watching grown men beat each other up while wearing heavy padding. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Found the Averatec in question. Darn, looks like mine doesn't have that capability, just the 6200.
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
yay! Thanks Dag and rivka. I'm pretty sure that's the one I was looking at, surprised at the weight though. I was mostly looking at computers that were lighter than six pounds.

Also, football.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.